Recommendations on a rain jacket for the AAWT

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Recommendations on a rain jacket for the AAWT

Postby lseries92 » Sat 29 Apr, 2023 9:21 am

I am planning to walk the AAWT SOBO starting early to mid November of this year and I was after recommendations on a rain jacket that would be suitable for the conditions.
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Recommendations on a rain jacket for the AAWT

Postby crollsurf » Sun 30 Apr, 2023 7:30 pm

I got an Enlightened Equipment Visp, which I'm happy to recommend, but I've never walked the Vic end of the AAWT.

I'm guessing there's no bush bashing on the Vic side either, so it's possibly a great option. Off track. It'll get shredded and won't last.

Super lightweight, windproof, 100% waterproof, and with the pit zips, it offers great ventilation in the rain.

It's coated with DWR but so light, even when the DWR fades and starts wetting out in rain, it'll add minimal weight, stay 100% waterproof and once the outer fabric drys out, it'll breathe perspiration exceptionally well as a wind/warmth layer.

My 3 season rain gear in the high country is the Visp and a rain kilt/skirt.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 May, 2023 7:18 pm

crollsurf wrote:I'm guessing there's no bush bashing on the Vic side either, so it's possibly a great option. Off track. It'll get shredded and won't last.

There are always going to be sections that will be overgrown. Best to be prepared to deal with that, because Murphy's Law guarantees that bad weather will most likely hit in those areas when you're there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby lseries92 » Thu 04 May, 2023 1:11 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. I actually have been using a Montbell Versalite and an Enlightened Equipment rain wrap for the last few years. I have been assuming that these may not be sturdy enough for the overgrown sections.

I was going to go back to using my rain pants for this walk and buying a another jacket to suit the (potential) conditions. Unless people think the Versalite will handle things ok ...?
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby crollsurf » Thu 04 May, 2023 10:30 pm

Rain pants will get shredded and the DWR won't last 30 minutes rubbing against foliage.
Go the EE rain wrap and something like S2S Quagmire Gaiters if getting wet legs/feet is a problem for you.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to AAWT