Howitt road access

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Howitt road access

Postby ricknsue » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 4:59 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a gate on the Howitt road, as I'm putting in a resupply at Mac Springs? I have contacted Parks, but no response yet. I am aware the road is a no go until 02/11, just want to be sure I can access the area on the 02/11.
We want to start walking from Tharwa on the 6/11 so we get back by Christmas. We are both nearing 60yo so it will be a fairly relaxed pace.
Many thanks.
ricknsue
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Howitt road access

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 27 Sep, 2023 6:42 pm

The GetLost Moroka Map shows a gate just past the Kelly Lane intersection ( a few kms past Arbuckle Junction).
I've not been up Howitt road yet, so caveats and all that.
The gate would be open on 2nd of November, unless the road was damaged by rain/snow over winter, then it might not be open until that's sorted.
But it was a pretty low snow winter, so....I wonder if even Parks have checked it out yet?
gate.png
gate
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 28 Sep, 2023 9:53 am

It would be a long hard day but bicycles from the gate to Howitt car park and then to the hut may be possible. https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=-37 ... +Satellite
The gates on the way to Speculation, King Billy and The Knobs may be open. A food drop in The Barries may be possible. It's a long way in for food drops. Water at Viking Saddle may be a fair way down.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 28 Sep, 2023 10:06 am

Lophophaps wrote:It would be a long hard day but bicycles from the gate to Howitt car park and then to the hut may be possible. https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=-37 ... +Satellite
The gates on the way to Speculation King Billy and The Knobs may be open. A food drop in The Barries may be possible. It's a long way in for food drops. Water at Viking Saddle may be a fair way down.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...
To do a food drop near Mt. Speculation, you'd need to get onto Spec. Road, either from Circuit road, or Cobbler Lake road.
Parks lists the gate at Cobbler Lake road will open on 2nd of Nov. https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/-/media/project/pv/main/parks/documents/get-into-nature/safety-in-nature/seasonal-road-closures/seasonal-road-closures-2023/seasonal-road-closure-list-2023.pdf?la=en&rev=2b137934f2fe4525ae878e2fe9b02987&hash=C659EE4D51E609230A8DE5A1157382AF952D9ECB

I was walking from the gate near Lake Cobbler to Mt. Koonika a week ago, and that track is a bit full on from about 1.5 to 4km from the gate.
It looks like some culverts/metal drainage pipe has been removed in a few places and left large dips behind which a serious 4WD could manage,though in one at least one spot, there are tracks where vehicles have gone off track to avoid the dip.
I've not been down Spec. road from Circuit road to the intersection of Cobbler Lake road, so no idea, but I've read it's OK-ish to King Hut area, then 4WD only after that. Obviously, Circuit road needs to be open for this way, but that happens just before Cup day I think.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ricknsue » Thu 28 Sep, 2023 11:18 am

Thanks for that map info, I'll try and ring parks today again as you may be right. With the low/ negligable snow levels remaining the gate may already be open.
Cheers
ricknsue
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to AAWT