Mt Ossa in the snow

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Mt Ossa in the snow

Postby kramster » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 1:52 pm

G'day folks
Took a 48 hour jaunt up Mt Ossa last weekend, via Arm River Track. Started off at around 5PM on Friday (which meant a fair whack of torchlight meandering). Stayed at Pelion hut both nights - which was not too busy, and was nice to keep the tent dry too. The walk up Ossa itself was great. Didn't hit much snow to speak of until turning off at Pelion Gap. Carried snow-shoes, but didn't use them till just near the summit - as the terrain was too steep most of the time. There was another party that we played cat-and-mouse with most of the day - and they helped point us towards the final summit (which wasn't too clear in the snow and mist).

Anyway... onto the photos... :)
Attachments
thIMG_9827.JPG
thIMG_9827.JPG (74.13 KiB) Viewed 10645 times
thIMG_9836.JPG
thIMG_9836.JPG (40.35 KiB) Viewed 10645 times
thIMG_9838.JPG
thIMG_9838.JPG (46 KiB) Viewed 10645 times
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Ossa in the snow

Postby kramster » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 1:54 pm

And some more!
Attachments
thIMG_9843.JPG
thIMG_9843.JPG (38.12 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
thIMG_9846.JPG
thIMG_9846.JPG (87.5 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
thIMG_9856.JPG
thIMG_9856.JPG (75.9 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kramster » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 1:55 pm

Part 3
Attachments
thIMG_9862.JPG
thIMG_9862.JPG (54.83 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
thIMG_9863.JPG
thIMG_9863.JPG (45.73 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
thIMG_9889.JPG
thIMG_9889.JPG (150.3 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 2:49 pm

Looks like a fun weeked out. And the views from the top :lol:

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 5:41 pm

Nice Pics Kramster,
Did you have the interesting snow crossing with a big slide down to Lake McFarlane if you took off :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby samh » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 5:58 pm

Well at least he had some view from up the top I did the same trip Monday to Thursday last week and did see nothing at all from the top. It was still a nice trip though. You must have had really nice weather on Friday. I drove up to Devils Gullet on Friday and somehow did regret that I left on Thursday

ossa_0918_1259.JPG
ossa_0918_1259.JPG (188.26 KiB) Viewed 10611 times
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nick S » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:03 pm

corvus wrote:Nice Pics Kramster,
Did you have the interesting snow crossing with a big slide down to Lake McFarlane if you took off :lol:
c

I know the part you mean corvus. One time we tried climbing Ossa we had to turn back at that point as it had become a big icy slide down the valley.

Glad you had some view from the top Kramster. Wouldv'e felt like mountaineering at some places hey!
This was Mt Ossa on the week before your trip, so there must have been a bit of snow around.
Mt Ossa from Mt Parmeener.jpg
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby luke_vic » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 8:56 pm

corvus wrote:Nice Pics Kramster,
c

I think I know the section your talking about also corvus - see pics below for images of Ossa last week. We decided to turn back at the 'X' on the map, however the section shown in red was sketchy at best, and appeared to be unstable. The other photo is from the turnaround point looking back (I didn't get a picture of the view down to the lake as I didn't want to think about it too much. It was a big drop with plenty of snow debris at the bottom!)
Attachments
Img_0856a.jpg
Img_0856a.jpg (41.34 KiB) Viewed 10535 times
Img_0810.jpg
Img_0810.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 10535 times
luke_vic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 9:46 pm

You are spot on luke_vic you were wise to turn back as that part with the X can be very deceptive with a right and wrong way to get over it then when you have done this you face another gully with a slide down the other side before a nice steepish rise towards the Summit, very good for the character :shock: would NEVER do it again in those conditions but I was young then around 52 , ten years on and a minor fall whilst rock climbing reminds me that I am not invincible after all :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Roger » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 2:47 pm

Thought you might like a couple of on the way up and after the climb photos of Mt Ossa. Snow storm, heavy rain and icy winds ..... I love a wilderness challenge.
Overland Track Oct 2007 041-1.jpg
After the climb - cold and wet
Attachments
Overland Track Oct 2007 037(2).jpg
Mt Ossa
Roger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby SurferShane » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 2:53 pm

Here's a view of the ascent taken a few days earlier from East Pelion. When I got to the pass the weather was coming in so I opted out of climbing Ossa alone. A bit later it cleared allowing me to get some nice shots. Funniest thing was watching from a distance a daughter and mother descend the cutes on Ossa snowboarding on their bellies and bottoms!

Just previously another well-prepared group had turned back from getting to the summit of Ossa claiming that the conditions where harsher and more technical than anything they had done in a recent mountaineering course.

OT1+333a.jpg
OT1+333a.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 10486 times
OT1+317a.jpg
OT1+317a.jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 10486 times
Last edited by SurferShane on Sat 26 Sep, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby samh » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 5:13 pm

@surfershane Where you at Pelion last week, we stayed there Monday to Thursday14-17
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SurferShane » Sat 26 Sep, 2009 12:49 pm

samh wrote:@surfershane Where you at Pelion last week, we stayed there Monday to Thursday14-17

I met a Samuel, Nigel and Jane from NW Tassie (really nice people - Nigel and Jane climbed Ossa on the day I took the photos above), but after tagging along for the first part of the walk let myself fall a day behind them after deciding to "rest" a day around Pelion.

While around Pelion I got some incredible photos from inside the mine at Old Pelion that I really must post on the forum. You have to love Tassie's rich pioneer history - reminds me heaps of home and bushwalking around the old pits as a kid with my grandfather. I can't wait to see the movie Van Dieman's Land. An epic walk considering the lack of gear and provisions (no spoilers please - Anyway I have read Paul Collin's "Hell's Gates", which is excellently well researched).
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby samh » Sat 26 Sep, 2009 8:54 pm

Well, my name is Samuel though I'm not sure that I mentioned my name to you though I guess we slept in the same room, I hope we didn't snore :lol:. I saw a report on Van Diemens land in the newspaper this week, do you got any idea when it comes to the movies?
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Sat 26 Sep, 2009 9:51 pm

samh wrote:........................ do you got any idea when it comes to the movies?

It started two days ago in Hobart but I can't give you dates for elsewhere, I'm afraid.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SurferShane » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 8:40 am

BarryJ wrote:
samh wrote:........................ do you got any idea when it comes to the movies?

It started two days ago in Hobart but I can't give you dates for elsewhere, I'm afraid.

I should really start a separate thread before it looks like we are spanning this post. Just a quick note that David on the Movie Show thought the movie was top rate. There was also an interview with the director who talked about how he managed to make the film so realistic.
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Gallery