Cradle mountain or bay of fire?

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Cradle mountain or bay of fire?

Postby CarmeloLabadie » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 4:39 pm

Our family with 2 young kids (3 and 8) will visit Tasmania early Jan for 7 days.

We will fly to Hobart and leave from Launcestern.

My

Day 1: Brunny Island

Day 2: Hobart

Day 3: Richmond farm stay

Day 4 & 5: Bicheno

Day 6: Cradle mountain

Day 7: Launcestern

I heard from Bicheno to Cradle mountain, 3.5 hour pure driving are needed. We'll stay overnight in Cradle mountain. But with kids, we probably can only walk around the dove lake.

I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile to go to cradle mountain. Or I should head north from Bicheno, visiting bay of fire and others instead?
CarmeloLabadie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TheKingLive
Region: Queensland

Re: Cradle mountain or bay of fire?

Postby eggs » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 5:11 pm

My youngest has been to Tas on several occasions.
She liked the Bay of Fires the best of all, but she was 16 at the time.

Looking at your itinerary though, it is a nice mix to add Cradle in.
You should be able to walk to the various falls near the resort as well as around the lake.
You would have to manage time - but there is Trowunna Wildlife Park on one of the routes to Cradle.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby taswegian » Thu 01 Jul, 2021 11:34 pm

Not sure what your interests are, and your kids age =3?, so very young then.
Bicheno. Have you reason for 2 days? Don't want to put Bicheno down but it wouldn't be very high on my to do lists.
The drive from there to Cradle in 3.5 hours wouldn't give you any wriggle room for the kids and little time to absorb any other interests.

Have you been to Tassie before?
Might be a small place but distances are deceiving if you want to explore and enjoy.
January is, can be, hot and peak time (if such exists then, might not).

Cradle would be nice, depending on numbers there, and an overnight would make it more worth the effort to get there. Plenty short walks.

When you say Launceston, leave from such, do you plan on staying in Launceston? Not trying to be smart, just that the airport is not at Launceston but called by such.
If you find you have time to spare just at very end you could wander out to Evandale to fill an hour as opposed to sitting in the airport.
Historic town, if that's of interest.

Not sure if that's been any help.
Ask more questions if not sure.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Fri 02 Jul, 2021 3:18 pm

Personally I don't know how anyone can have an enjoyable family experience at Cradle Mt in mid summer anymore. It's become like any other extraction point for the tourist $.

Similarly, since the Tas Walking Company/P&W made 'Bay of Fires' a thing, I doubt it's a lot better (in mid-summer).

Tough one!

As above, i'd probably skip one, the east coast or CM area (if only for the extended driving time) (and excessive tourist traffic :lol: ).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Fri 02 Jul, 2021 4:40 pm

These are young kids - they will be looking for pristine beaches and nice rocks to climb on [Bay of Fires] or friendly native animals [Cradle]
I doubt Carmelo had an extensive walk in mind.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Fri 02 Jul, 2021 5:03 pm

If you want to do any kind of bushwalking with a 3 year old, I'd get one of those toddler carrier backpacks. They can walk a little way and then get carried or sleep the rest of the way. Then Cradle Mtn could be doable if the 8 year old is the active type.

Those backpacks are suprisingly handy for other thing as well

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Fri 02 Jul, 2021 8:49 pm

eggs wrote:These are young kids - they will be looking for pristine beaches and nice rocks to climb on [Bay of Fires] or friendly native animals [Cradle]
I doubt Carmelo had an extensive walk in mind.

I have an urge to blurt out some other great east coast highlights (especially as a wildlife experience)... so much to see!
I will just warn against missing Kate's berry farm or the Mt. Elephant pancakes!
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Fri 02 Jul, 2021 9:03 pm

Last I was over folk were saying Elephant Pass Pancakes was not open anymore?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Gallery