Camino de Santiago May 2013

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Camino de Santiago May 2013

Postby Rupotty » Mon 27 Aug, 2012 1:47 pm

I am just starting to plan the Camino de Santiago for May next year, will do the full walk but skip a couple of sections in the middle by bus as they are a little boring but still obtain the stamps as overnight in the transit towns, and of course cuts down time to around 3 weeks, rough itinerary at bottom.

Does anyone have recommendations for hostels along the way?

If anyone wants to join us PM me

Transfer to St Jean Pied de Port 5th May 2013 stay overnight
St Jean – Orisson 8km
Orisson - Burguette 17km
Burguette - Zubiri 22km
Zubiri - Pamplona 21km
Pamplona - Puente la Reina 24km
Puente la Reina - Estella 22km
Estella - Los Arcos 21km
Los Arcos – Viana 18km (roughly 150km mark)
Viana – Logroño (Navarrete) 13km
Non walking day bus to Burgos
Non walking day bus to Leon
Non walking day bus to Astorga - Rabanal del Camino 22km
Rabanal del Camino - Molinaseca 25km
Molinaseca – Ponferrada (optional - Las Medulas) 8km
Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 23km
Need to work on this section Cebreiro and to Samos
Samos – Sarria 14km
Sarria – Portomarin 23km
Portomarin – Palas de Rei 25km
Palas de Rei – Arzua 27km
Arzua - Arca 22km
Arca - Santiago de Compostela (night time Old City Walk will try to find a local guide) 21km
Side trip to Finesterre or relax
Depart Santiago for home
Roughly 360km walking in total but complete length of the course closer to 800km including bus sections
Rupotty
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.meetup.com/sydney-explorers
Region: New South Wales

Re: Camino de Santiago May 2013

Postby kbm63 » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 7:45 pm

Have you seen the new movie called "The Way" (fairly new in video shops) by Emilio Estevez about this journey which is filmed on location?
kbm63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby jacko1956 » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 9:10 pm

I can't remember the name but my local library had a book written by a lady who did almost exactly the same thing (bussed in the middle etc) with her husband in 2010 or thereabouts I think. I can't remember the name of it but I'll have a look next time at library. I have the Camino on the 2014 wish list with my wife but am leaning towards the whole walk (i.e the basic 800km from Jean St Pierre - the Camino can start anywhere in Europe really).
+1 on the movie "the Way" stars Martin Sheen and made by his "other" son Emilio Estevez. It's a good intro to the Camino.
Trailjournals.com has a few record the walk every year.
jacko1956
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby jacko1956 » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 11:28 pm

The book was "Camino footsteps : reflections on a journey to Santiago de Compostela" by Kim Wells.
Not sure if she was Oz or pom but pretty sure it was one of the two and was very recent.
jacko1956
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 2:47 pm

G'day mate, I just completed the Camino Frances in July/August this year so I'll offer what advice I can... I also started the walk in SJPP, walking 'solo' to Burgos, bussing to Leon, and then walking the final section to Santiago with friends (one of whom was from Santiago itself and spoke Spanish and Galician).

- Unless you are ABSOLUTELY stuck for time, don't plan on bussing any sections. I had to bus Burgos - Leon because the friends I was meeting had a set amount of time off work, so we were under a pretty strict schedule. The fact that I didn't complete the whole Camino still gives me the *&^%$#@! today... Yes, the central sections aren't the most fascinating but I think the feeling of completion at having done the whole route properly is more important.

- I got by fine speaking very little Spanish, but it pays to know a bit. Be very aware that as far as the locals are concerned, Basque Country is NOT part of Spain, so don't expect a few sentences of Spanish here to make you any friends. That said, Basque was amazing and probably my favourite part of the trip.

- Avoid an overly strict itinery. You'll meet people and places you like and feel like getting to know better, and a schedule will just get in the way.

- Don't stay in Orisson. It's expensive, not very nice, and makes the first day stupidly short.

- Pack very, very light. Almost everyone I met had waaaaaay too much gear, and the pile of stuff people had thrown out at Roncevalles (first big alburge on the Spanish side) was huge. You don't need a tent, stove, big sleeping bag (liner would be fine - hostels have blankets) and you can wash clothes every night. I would suggest 7kg max.

- Avoid heavy footware - it's not a hike and you don't need heavy hiking boots. I made this mistake and brought my leather Baltoros (I'd been off-track hiking in Norway the month prior) and my feet paid the price. Light-weight trail running style shoes would be perfect.

- You can buy food every day in the towns you pass through (and the cheapest/best wine in the world during the Rioja section :D ), but be wary of siesta time, sundays and public holidays and saint's days, as EVERYTHING will be shut.

- The longest section of the entire route without potable water (off the top of my head) was 11km. 1lt should be enough.

- Most bars and some of the albergues had wi-fi.

- The route got notably more hectic, expensive and crowded once it moved past O Cebreiro and into Galicia - even more so as it reached Sarria and the 'final 100km' (you only need 100km to get the Compostela so a lot of locals only do the last section). On this section it became much more difficult to get a bed in the municipal albergues (many would have 100 people in the queue when they opened at 11am...) and the private albergues doubled in price. I didn't like the vibe at all on this section and if you had to bus some of the Camino this is the bit I'd skip.

- In general, I much preferred the feel of the smaller towns, and after Pamplona usually timed my days so that I'd pass through the big cities during the day and stay in smaller villages on either side. Likewise, a lot of the smaller albergues were very cool.

- Try and be in Santiago at the end for a Sunday Mass at the Cathedral. Also, ask at the reception about tours around the Cathedral roof - very cool :wink:

- Book accommodation in Santiago in advance.

- Make sure you try 'Pulpo a la Gallega' (octopus), Galician coffee liqueur (most bars will make their own) and Estrella Galicia 1906, the local premium beer. Is good :D

Good luck and buen camino!

Cheers, Nick

Rupotty wrote:I am just starting to plan the Camino de Santiago for May next year, will do the full walk but skip a couple of sections in the middle by bus as they are a little boring but still obtain the stamps as overnight in the transit towns, and of course cuts down time to around 3 weeks, rough itinerary at bottom.

Does anyone have recommendations for hostels along the way?

If anyone wants to join us PM me

Transfer to St Jean Pied de Port 5th May 2013 stay overnight
St Jean – Orisson 8km
Orisson - Burguette 17km
Burguette - Zubiri 22km
Zubiri - Pamplona 21km
Pamplona - Puente la Reina 24km
Puente la Reina - Estella 22km
Estella - Los Arcos 21km
Los Arcos – Viana 18km (roughly 150km mark)
Viana – Logroño (Navarrete) 13km
Non walking day bus to Burgos
Non walking day bus to Leon
Non walking day bus to Astorga - Rabanal del Camino 22km
Rabanal del Camino - Molinaseca 25km
Molinaseca – Ponferrada (optional - Las Medulas) 8km
Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 23km
Need to work on this section Cebreiro and to Samos
Samos – Sarria 14km
Sarria – Portomarin 23km
Portomarin – Palas de Rei 25km
Palas de Rei – Arzua 27km
Arzua - Arca 22km
Arca - Santiago de Compostela (night time Old City Walk will try to find a local guide) 21km
Side trip to Finesterre or relax
Depart Santiago for home
Roughly 360km walking in total but complete length of the course closer to 800km including bus sections
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mifferz » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 10:09 pm

Thinking of doing the Camino Portugues (two weeks rather than the full walk) at start of June.
Thanks nickthetasmaniac for the advice.
Mifferz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Return to International