Mt Jukes

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Jukes

Postby PeterJ » Sun 25 Nov, 2007 7:42 pm

I attempted a walk to Mt Jukes about a week ago and commnced from the high point on the Jukes road. Sopon after starting out we came onto a cut track with plastic markers and occasional wooden posts. The track contoured the slope crossing small gullies, but at 828309 it ceased and we could not locate an extension anywhere (you can view a small map of the route at http://bushwalks.blogspot.com/).

We wondered why the cut track should be heading in the direction it did as we thought it more logical to ascend more directly to Proprietary Peak. Although conditional were quite cloudy when we started by the time we reached the end of the cut track it was quite drizzly and visibility poor with the peaks now completely blanketed, so we decided it best to retreat and return when conditions were better.

However we are curious to learn more about the track we discovered and if it has an extension that eventually leads to the summit.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby tastrekker » Mon 26 Nov, 2007 9:04 pm

I haven't been to the area you're talking about recently but I have a theory re the track. In that area, there would have been tracks criss-crossing the valleys and ranges in many spots. A more recent version of the 1:25,000 map shows a walking track emerging from Lake Burbury and heading up the eastern slopes of Mt Jukes very close to the road until it merges with the road part way up. I would expect the track pre-dates the road and the lake. Perhaps it was a pack track from Crotty to Lynchford.

Another thing about tracks on the west coast is that they can have multiple lives. E.g. My grand-father-in-law was a packer (human pack horse) and he cut the Jane River Track. It went from a walking track when he cut it to a 4WD track to a road and now for much of its length, it's back to a walking track and barely that where the button grass grows strongly.

Some of these tracks get yet another life with modern mineral exploration and drilling. Drill points are marked on the map in a grid and dozer tracks head off into the country side and then stop when the appropriate drill location is reached.

Perhaps your Mt Jukes markers and dozer tracks have had this sort of coloured history. I would love to hear if someone knows more about the track you found. Last time I drove that road was before they put the plug in the King River dam about 18 years ago.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Mt Jukes

Postby pkbgr » Mon 26 Nov, 2007 9:56 pm

What is the scrub like on Mt jukes above the road? Is it possible to push through and make headway up to what should be lighter scrub up on Proprietary Peak?
pkbgr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrekker » Tue 27 Nov, 2007 6:56 am

Good question. I think the road goes above the tree line so it's probably not too bad but my memory is not that good so don't rely on my say so.

A tip if you are considering this sort of venture into the 'unknown' is to use the TasVeg database via TheList. Combined with a bit of experience of what type of scrub is what, you can get a really accurate picture of what to expect without driving all the way over there.

I don't have time now, but I've been thinking about writing a post in the general info section with hints on how to get the most out of TheList.

P.S. Given your handle, do you know about the peak baggers guide to Tasmania. What category are you? I remember being a "Member of the old lags brigade until I reached 100 points."
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dplanet » Tue 27 Nov, 2007 2:01 pm

Just checking out a new version 1:25 000, there are two tracks:

a walking track starts at 856296 (250m) leading to East Jukes Spur and stops at Mount Jukes Road (841303). I also want to know of the route between Mt Jukes Road and Proprietary Peak (1104m).

The other walking track begins at Mt Jukes Road (858276) and leads to Jukes Lake Cirque which is located between Upper lake Jukes & Lower lake Jukes. It could be an interesting weekend circuit walk for a good navigator.
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Mt Jukes

Postby pkbgr » Tue 27 Nov, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks last two posters - I will have a look at TasVeg and the 1:25000. I'm heading To Jukes in late December.

Tomorrow I'm going to Burgess Bluff and Mt Chapman. It is with mild shame that I admit I am a peakbagger - I'm on 298 on the 1983 list - which makes me 'honourable'. It's a funny hobby - but it doesn't mean that I don't love the Tassie wilderness for its own sake - because I do desperately. Maybe I should start a link on the psychology of peakbagging!
pkbgr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Mt Jukes

Postby PeterJ » Fri 30 Nov, 2007 3:46 pm

pkbgr wrote:What is the scrub like on Mt jukes above the road? Is it possible to push through and make headway up to what should be lighter scrub up on Proprietary Peak?

The scrub didn't seem to be much of a problem on the ridges and most could be avoided
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pkbgr » Tue 01 Jan, 2008 12:09 pm

Climbed Jukes successfully nSunday. Rock proved a bigger problem than scrub. We headed directly upwards (WSW) from the high point on the road. there was not much scrub, but we did meet a few conglomerate boulders that required careful negotiation. The ridgeline is easily attained, but the ridge before Proprietary is somewhat rugged and also requires care. A small pad is evident on the ridge top and it traverses the (northern) base of some large buttresses that obstruct the crest of the ridge.

Once Proprietary is reached, the going becomes very easy along to Jukes. Two members of our party continued on the Pyramid and West Jukes and reported that the going was similarly easy.

Descending from the ridge below Proprietary we ventured to a gully further to the north of that we had come up. We found some scrub there, but also a cut track closer to the starting point. It would be possible to locate this cut track, hading west from the high point, and avoid some of the conglomerate boulders I referred to above.

In short, a rocky scrambly rather than scrubby climb, and best suited to experienced walkers used to the care required in rocky terrain.
pkbgr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby pkbgr » Tue 01 Jan, 2008 12:14 pm

...and I should say thank you to all those who replied to the orginal enquiry on this walk. it has been most helpful to me.
pkbgr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania