Gallery for Forum Members

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Gallery for Forum Members

Postby Joe » Mon 03 Dec, 2007 5:57 pm

Hokay, Havent got the ok from nik on this one but i cant see it being an issue.

There is now a Photodump set up at:

http://bushwalktas.taswaterfalls.com

It will take about 24 hours for the Domain name to propogate...until then most likely you will be taken to the normal TWF site.

As soon as its up and I have set it all up for public submissions then I will put a howto up in the Gallery forum. Basically though users will be able to create their own Personal gallery and subgalleries within that for each walk etc.

Size will not be limited at this stage...we will look at quotas down the track once we work out how much interest there is.

Perhaps Mr Beach would like to point a subdomain to it? something like Gallery.bushwalk-tas.com or bwt.com/gallery or whatever :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Re: Gallery for Forum Members

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 04 Dec, 2007 7:58 am

Thanks to taswaterfalls for offering his hosting space for this. As some forum members do not have an online presence or do not have an online gallery as such, this will be really useful for them.

I've now created a redirection for this at: http://bushwalk.com/gallery/
and I recommend to members that previously had nowhere to upload their photos to take advantage of taswaterfalls' offer here.

Even if you do have your own photo gallery already on the web, you may like to give this a try - I use the same gallery software for my own online gallery (only started recently), and it is very good!

Please talk to taswaterfalls, rather than bushwalk-tasmania if you have any queries about using this service he's provided for us all.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tasadam » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 10:30 am

It would probably be a good idea to post information here reminding people of reasonable image sizes etc when uploading images for the internet.
Three reasons why images are resized for the internet are -
It reduces space used on the server that hosts your images
It reduces upload and download times of the images
It eliminates the possibility of needing to scroll around to look at the whole image. Fixed in PhpBB 3

Three popular sizes of image are
640x480

800x600

1024x768

Any bigger than that is usually either going to be automatically downsized by your internet browser, or possibly requiring you to scroll around on the screen to see it all.
Also, you can post thumbnail pictures, such as this -
120x80
And as I have done here, I have made the thumbnail a clickable URL to the 1024x768 image.
You can make any image clickable to another image, or any other URL for that matter, the same way - it doesn't have to be a thumbnail. But in this example it shows one good use of this feature.
The way to link thumbnails (or any images) to larger images (or URL's) is like this - you have to make two files. One is your thumbnail, in this example it is 120x80. And you need the file you want it to link to. Be a good idea to warn people if the linked file is really large in case they are on dialup.
Once you have your two files stored somewhere on the internet, you display the thumbnail link like this...

Code: Select all
[url=http://url.of.your/larger/picture.jpg][img]http://url.of.your/thumbnail/picture.jpg[/img][/url]

The easiest way I use to downsize images for the net is by right-clicking on the image and "Resize Picture" after you install the free Windows extra - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Look for the Image Resizer download on the right.
You get to choose the image size, you also get to decide whether it is going to make a new file or resize the original.
I also find it useful to rename the files into something useful and easier to type, also keeping the filenames all to lower case as the default of some cameras is uppercase and it's important to get the filename exact (including case) when linking images.

Something else that many people don't realize is how much information is embedded in a digital photo.
Here's some info on it I sent someone - thought I would recycle this info here rather than start again.
The actual image I am talking about has this info available, as viewed with exif info...
What I said about it -
Someone owns a new Nikon D40 digital camera...
That photo was taken on 9th May 2007 at 6:08PM (and 31 seconds)
The F satop was 3.8, which is why it was a narrow depth of fiend (not much in focus).
The flash was used, the exposure time was 1/60 s.
It was the 272nd photo ever taken with that camera...
Scarey how much detail is in a photo, eh?
It's called exif info. You can view it with a program such as Opanda - http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/
Also at http://www.snapfiles.com/get/opandaexif.html
You can get rid of it (permanently) with a program like Jstrip - http://davidcrowell.com/jstrip/ (worth a read).

You don't have to remove EXIF info from an image - sometimes it provides useful info to others such as exposure time and other settings so people can learn what techniques you use on a photo. But it might be handy to know it is there.

Hope this all helps!
By the way, the image used in the examples above is taken on the walk we did to the Walls of Jerusalem on the weekend. This was a friendly example.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 10:34 am

tasadam wrote:It would probably be a good idea to post information here reminding people of reasonable image sizes etc when uploading images for the internet.
Three reasons why images are resized for the internet are -
It reduces space used on the server that hosts your images
It reduces upload and download times of the images
It eliminates the possibility of needing to scroll around to look at the whole image.

...and now in phpBB3 it prevents you image being clipped by the window width! Never noticed that before this post. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Joe » Sat 05 Jan, 2008 5:25 pm

having a strange issue with gallery not wanting to email using php's built in mailer. as soon as i nut it out the site will be operational.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby walkinTas » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 9:53 am

tasadam wrote:
Something else that many people don't realize is how much information is embedded in a digital photo.....

You don't have to remove EXIF info from an image - sometimes it provides useful info to others such as exposure time and other settings so people can learn what techniques you use on a photo. But it might be handy to know it is there.

Panda is great software and easy to learn.

If you use the Firefox Browser you can quickly add a basic EXIF viewer that will allow you to right click an image and view properties including EXIF info.

Quick How-to:

Open Firefox. In the toolbar, click Tools >> Add-ons.
Attachments
Add-on.png
Add-on.png (29.21 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
search.png
search.png (105.27 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Add.png
Add.png (88.2 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Gallery