Little Horn track?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Little Horn track?

Postby Tortoise » Sun 15 Apr, 2012 3:09 pm

Could someone please PM me with a few details of the Little Horn track from the Face Track?

I vaguely remember going up the first part years ago, and being a bit unsure of the route further up. (Decided i'd better wait till i was with someone else, or at least having told someone where i'd be...) Thanks a bunch
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Little Horn track?

Postby ollster » Sun 15 Apr, 2012 3:27 pm

I can provide a GPS track if you've got a Garmin?

It's pretty a pretty obvious marked track (one or two obvious cairns) going straight up from the face track for almost directly below the Little Horn summit, and up through the only obvious gully on that side. There is a much smaller and less obvious track that starts further back toward twisted tarns which I had a look at but quickly decided was not the way up.

It's not exactly secret or a particularly fragile area, so I would be surprised if the admins had a problem with posting details?

Basically it looks like this:
Attachments
Little Horn.jpg
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Tortoise » Sun 15 Apr, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Ollster.
Yes, i see what you mean - not off track as there's a track! - i just went on the basis that the only previous posts I could find here were answered that way.
Malheureusement, no GPS yet.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Shei » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 1:08 am

I'd love to get this one off my list with ya Tortoise :D
"I wonder where this track leads........"
Shei
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 3:54 pm

Shei wrote:I'd love to get this one off my list with ya Tortoise :D

C u there - no excuses! :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Shei » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 1:48 pm

Not happy....having short legs and bad knees I didn't get up :( I hate no decent hand and foot holds for the *not so tall*!
"I wonder where this track leads........"
Shei
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mjdalessa » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 4:26 pm

ollster wrote:There is a much smaller and less obvious track that starts further back toward twisted tarns which I had a look at but quickly decided was not the way up.

That track, if its the one I'm thinking of is quite scenic and not as steep. It contours around and then meets the direct route.

For the more adventurous a pad drops off towards Weindorfers tower, descends a VERY sketchy 3.5m cliff then continues to the saddle. Coming up one side and down the other makes quite a nice little circuit.
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 9:01 pm

mjdalessa wrote:
ollster wrote:There is a much smaller and less obvious track that starts further back toward twisted tarns which I had a look at but quickly decided was not the way up.

That track, if its the one I'm thinking of is quite scenic and not as steep. It contours around and then meets the direct route.

Thanks - i'll investigate it one nice day. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 30 Apr, 2012 8:47 am

Tortoise wrote:
mjdalessa wrote:

Thanks - i'll investigate it one nice day. :)

I believe this is the route I PM'd you. It is steep but not at all technical. I did it in patchy snow cover and had no problems.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 30 May, 2012 6:49 pm

Hey SBS. We found it! Steep as you said, but not the slightest technical difficulty, and no airy spots. Thanks heaps for the photo etc. That made it easy peasy :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 31 May, 2012 9:25 pm

Tortoise wrote:Hey SBS. We found it! Steep as you said, but not the slightest technical difficulty, and no airy spots. Thanks heaps for the photo etc. That made it easy peasy :D

No worries glad you made it, noice little peak that one :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ryantmalone » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:22 pm

Digging up an old topic, but may swing by on Saturday and knock Little Horn off if weather permits.

Regarding the other pad that SBS mentioned, any possibility of someone PM'ing me the details of that route?
ryantmalone

Postby Nuts » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:52 pm

You may get a pm, i really can't see why. The traditional, worn, direct route is obvious as per Ollsters first post. It's a short climb and couldn't be easier! No discredit to earlier posters but iv'e had people well into their 70's up there.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ryantmalone » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:14 pm

Ahh cool bananas. My main concern was the other route that avoids the gully, however from a fair amount of searching, I think I've found where it leads off from, and where to look.

Here's hoping I get some nice(ish) weather, don't get blown off the top, etc!
ryantmalone

Postby Tortoise » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 11:12 am

Nuts wrote:You may get a pm, i really can't see why. The traditional, worn, direct route is obvious as per Ollsters first post. It's a short climb and couldn't be easier! No discredit to earlier posters but iv'e had people well into their 70's up there.

Yep, Nuts, I know some 80+ yr olds who can do it, but someone below 40 had some trouble, because her knees don't physically bend as much as she needed higher up (got there in the end, but it was hard for her). Combination of short legs and less bendy knees. That's what stopped a couple of friends from getting up the more westerly of those 2 tracks.

I think I've found where it leads off from, and where to look.

This rock formation is what i found really easy - if it's visible. i only have a shot of it from above. There is actually an arrow on a rock indicating the start of the track I think, if you look at the right spot. Before i knew about the rock, I missed the start of this more easterly track and found the next one (more airy) more easily.
Attachments
DSC02714 [].JPG
Head for this rock
DSC02714 [].JPG (168.09 KiB) Viewed 32878 times
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ryantmalone » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep an eye out tomorrow. Assuming that the more easterly track leaves after the rock band under Little Horn, I'll keep my eyes peeled there.
ryantmalone

Postby Tortoise » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 2:09 pm

Yep, not straight after, but soon after you come up beside the rock band. Maybe 100m?? I should know by now. :roll:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ryantmalone » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 6:16 pm

Sweet, here goes nothing!
ryantmalone

Postby ryantmalone » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 4:38 pm

Copped a belting with the weather whilst I was there, so gave it a miss, however I was able to identify two tracks leading up from the face track.

One was a few minutes after the rock band, leading up past the rock formation in the above photo.

The other seemed to head into more wild territory, quite rocky, etc.

At least I know where to look when I am out this way next!
ryantmalone

Postby Tortoise » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 5:50 pm

Ah well, as you say, there's always a next time. Thought of you yesterday - wondered if you'd been blown off the mountain!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ryantmalone » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:14 pm

Tortoise wrote:Ah well, as you say, there's always a next time. Thought of you yesterday - wondered if you'd been blown off the mountain!

haha It was very hairy coming around from Twisted Lakes, the wind knocked me over a few times. Strongest winds I've experienced in the bush, was quite something.

Was nice getting some snow this morning though, was a very pretty sight coming in over Lake Dove, but stung like anything when I was walking into it!
ryantmalone

Postby ryantmalone » Mon 06 May, 2019 10:13 pm

Tortoise wrote:Ah well, as you say, there's always a next time. Thought of you yesterday - wondered if you'd been blown off the mountain!
Digging up an old topic, because "next time" finally happened today.

I did not make it to the top though. The exposure got the better of me, didnt feel safe with one of the technical parts above Smithies Pinnacle.

Regarding the other track that some mention as starting further down the face track towards Twisted Tarns, I did manage to find what I believe to be this track. It is on a sharp right hand corner after the scramble onto the Face Track from Twisted, marked with an arrow scratched into a rock.

Ive heard people saying that this track has zero technical difficulty, and am keen to look into it after Winter. Only problem is, the track at the arrow seemed to go nowhere. Lasted for about ten meters, then nothing but that horrible scrub that covers the mountain. Can anyone give me any clarification on it?

As for the track I followed... very well marked, lots of cairns, very obvious track (not a pad, but a track), extremely steep and almost dangerous in spots, slips could send you over some large drops, etc.
ryantmalone

Postby Tortoise » Tue 07 May, 2019 8:39 am

ryantmalone wrote:I did not make it to the top though. The exposure got the better of me, didnt feel safe with one of the technical parts above Smithies Pinnacle.

Sorry you didn't get there this time. I haven't come across that name before - what is it? I only know of Smithies Peak, on the summit side of the cradle.

Regarding the other track that some mention as starting further down the face track towards Twisted Tarns, I did manage to find what I believe to be this track. It is on a sharp right hand corner after the scramble onto the Face Track from Twisted, marked with an arrow scratched into a rock.

Ive heard people saying that this track has zero technical difficulty, and am keen to look into it after Winter. Only problem is, the track at the arrow seemed to go nowhere. Lasted for about ten meters, then nothing but that horrible scrub that covers the mountain. Can anyone give me any clarification on it?

As for the track I followed... very well marked, lots of cairns, very obvious track (not a pad, but a track), extremely steep and almost dangerous in spots, slips could send you over some large drops, etc.

The track I use is on a straight, not a corner. The arrow on the rock is quite faded, but there is a little cairn on the left as you look at the start of the pad/track. I'd say it is very obvious with lots of cairns (once you get off the Face Track). And it's very steep. I can't think of any technical section, though. There's a slightly awkward bit up about a metre or so higher up, but there's no cliff, and plenty of vegetation to help on that bit. As there is almost the whole way up.
I nearly went again the other day, but our main purpose was enjoying the fagus, and didn't have time for both. My plan is take that friend back again soon, just for Little Horn. I'll make a note of more details.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ryantmalone » Tue 07 May, 2019 9:53 am

Tortoise wrote:
ryantmalone wrote:I did not make it to the top though. The exposure got the better of me, didnt feel safe with one of the technical parts above Smithies Pinnacle.

Sorry you didn't get there this time. I haven't come across that name before - what is it? I only know of Smithies Peak, on the summit side of the cradle.

The track I use is on a straight, not a corner. The arrow on the rock is quite faded, but there is a little cairn on the left as you look at the start of the pad/track. I'd say it is very obvious with lots of cairns (once you get off the Face Track). And it's very steep. I can't think of any technical section, though. There's a slightly awkward bit up about a metre or so higher up, but there's no cliff, and plenty of vegetation to help on that bit. As there is almost the whole way up.
I nearly went again the other day, but our main purpose was enjoying the fagus, and didn't have time for both. My plan is take that friend back again soon, just for Little Horn. I'll make a note of more details.

I read the name Smithies Pinnacle somewhere a while back when referring to that pinnacle, so I've just been referring to it as that ever since. I could very well be wrong. haha

The route that I followed sounds like the one that you mention, and took me roughly this way:

4.jpg

Was more difficult coming down than up of course. The part that I turned around on was a slab that had a good foot hold on the right, but nothing too reasonable on the left. Could have managed, but a missed grab at a hold would have resulted in a fall backwards that would have been potentially very bad. This was above, and out of sight somewhat of the pinnacle. My guess would be no more than 50 - 100 meters from the top. Boulder field directly above.
ryantmalone

Postby Tortoise » Sun 19 May, 2019 2:46 pm

ryantmalone wrote:The part that I turned around on was a slab that had a good foot hold on the right, but nothing too reasonable on the left. Could have managed, but a missed grab at a hold would have resulted in a fall backwards that would have been potentially very bad. This was above, and out of sight somewhat of the pinnacle. My guess would be no more than 50 - 100 meters from the top. Boulder field directly above.

I wish I'd re-read this before I went back. I forgot the details you wrote here. :roll:

But I do remember that the trickiest bit was approaching the bottom of the boulder field. (For future reference, the pad turns a sharp right after that, avoiding the main boulder field altogether.) Probably less than 50 m from the top.
Here’s a not-very-useful photo of the spot I think you meant, with the bit in question just below, out of view. But it may help if it matches a photo of yours.
DSC06387.jpg

I wouldn't have described it as technical. But I realise now, having taken someone not used to rock scrambling, that I did use some specific 'techniques' for bits like that. Like feet angled out, pushing into very slopey rock/ground on either side of the track to get up bits too high for me to step up. If there was a not-vertical rock on the left, I probably used my weight to make a good 'foothold' pushing on that, combined with pushing out on the right. Not sure if that makes sense...

We didn't use any 'grab and hope for the best' holds. We did make good use of gardening gloves. Lots of vegetation to helped out in places, as long as we tested each hold well before relying on it. Maybe going with someone else would be a good idea if you can. The friend who came with me said she definitely wouldn't have done it by herself.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain