Help pse - Silver Falls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Help pse - Silver Falls

Postby Davo1 » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 6:57 pm

Help please.
These falls a signposted as Silver Falls which does not agree with info I have and I have posted to a link on this site which only adds to the confusion.
Is there anyone that guarantee the name of these falls?
They are the first ones you come to after descending from the car park on Gaunts Rd.
Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1383&p=40498&hilit=silver+falls#p11191

Must be a bit slow today, as the more I read this the more confused I become.
Attachments
450A0172 2.jpg
Top half
450A0177 2.jpg
Bottom Half with a little of the top
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Help pse - Silver Falls

Postby walkinTas » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi Dave,

The following two maps clearly show names on four of the sets of falls. I used to be a bit concerned about Castra falls - because it appears to be in Nietta Creek and not Castra Rivulet and there is an unnamed fall in Castra Rivulet that might more correctly wear the name. (On the Wiki I have the unnamed falls in Castra Rivulet listed as Castra Falls). The Nomenclature database doesn't help here either because it lists Castra Falls and Silver Falls both with the bearings, Easting 423900 Northing 5420800.

tasmaps.png

theList.png

I guess the question you're asking is which fall were you standing at? Which isn't so easy when you walk that track. Unfortunately the satellite view on GE isn't much help either. As you can see in the other post I have your falls listed as Silver Falls - but I didn't have a GPS on me for that trip.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Davo1 » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 3:23 pm

That seems to make sense, apart from as you say Castra on Nietta instead of on Castra?.
If this indeed is the case it looks like someone has gone to a lot of trouble erecting a well made sign that is not correct .
The sign at the bottom of the walk down clearly states Silver Falls as the ones in the photo and another sign leading off down the creek further says "circuit"
Unless of course someone has got that Silver Falls sign from elsewhere and is playing silly bugger?
Thanks walkinTas.

PS Don't think I've ever come across rocks as fast as these at the moment.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 3:30 pm

The confusion comes from the fact that the Nomenclature board has Silver Falls and Castra Falls listed as the same falls. I have been meaning to go back and visit the other two falls - the one in Nietta Creek and the lowest one in Castra Rivulet. One of these should be it would help if one of these were renamed Castra Falls. As you can see, theList has assigned this name to the falls in Nietta Creek. I think a case could be made to name the falls Nietta Falls and Castra Falls after the two streams, but that might depend on whether both sets are worth naming. The other side of that coin however is that there are two other sets of falls called Silver Falls and maybe the name Castra Falls should be used rather than Silver Falls.
Last edited by walkinTas on Mon 10 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Davo1 » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm for that, anything to alleviate confusion and clarify the matter.
If you're going to check out the other on Castra Rivulet, I'm up for it if you want company as long as it's not next week.
Just starting back again after a torn ligament.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby billshep1 » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 11:11 pm

Silver Falls - Castra Falls circuit. A few volunteers have done a lot of work to help reopen this circuit, see my track notes which also deal with the confusing nomenclature!

Castra Falls Circuit

Waiver. Access these walks entirely at your own risk, take special care in wet and windy weather. Big old trees can collapse at any time when the ground is saturated.

Track Notes. August 2013-08-22
Location. Near Nietta some 21 km south west of Ulverstone.
Map tasmap 1:25000 Castra. Beware of errors on this map both in the naming of the falls and the location of the major fall on Nietta Creek
Introduction. The Castra Falls Circuit is a pleasant walk along the Castra Rivulet and back up Nietta creek. The walk can of course be done in the other direction, or the track used just to access any of the falls and cascades. Features three waterfalls and two cascades, set in fine rain forest with big sassafras and myrtle.
The circuit is in State Forest and was one of many excellent tracks put in by Forestry Tasmania but has fallen into disrepair due to a reduction in Forestry’s capacity to maintain tracks .It has been reopened by volunteers.

Access. Take the B15 road from Ulverstone and look for a turn off to Gaunt’s Road some 2 km before Nietta. Follow Gaunt’s Road for around 1.2 km to a signposted car park. There is a new maps and directional signs there. The Nietta Creek track starts here, the track to Castra Rivulet starts some 200 mts down the road, where there is a star picket with a small sign.
The circuit walk is best done by going down Castra Rivulet and up Nietta Creek. From the signpost on Gaunt’s Road head along an old road following the perimeter of the pine plantation. You will come to a junction, with signs. To the left the circuit continues to Castra Falls. Straight ahead is the optional side trip to Step Falls, which has just been cleared - about a 10 minute easy walk. The terrain downstream from Step Falls is very rough, not recommended. There are traces of an old track but extensive storm damage and landslips on the steeper sections. Go back up to the junction to continue the circuit walk.
The circuit follows a forest track heading north east along the top of the ridge between Nietta Creek and Castra Rivulet. The route then leaves the ridge and descends very steeply in places to Castra Falls (Silver Falls on the tasmap!) Take great care on the final descent from the falls lookout as a slip here would be a grave misfortune. There is a new safety rope.
You will pass a junction on the way down to the base of the falls which is the onward route on the circuit. The falls are quite substantial after rain and there is a lovely little flat with big myrtle from which to admire them.
Go back up to the signposted junction and follow a well marked but steep, slippery and rough route which traverses high above the creek. Take great care here in wet conditions. Another route used to follow the creek but it has been blocked on a very steep bank by a huge log.
After the rough section the route nears a pretty unnamed cascade (Castra Cascade?) The track divides with a lower route going to the cascade while the main route heads down to the junction of Castra Rivulet and Nietta Creek. Cross on the remains of a boardwalk bridge and a sunken log to a little beach, an excellent place for lunch. If the creek is in flood there is a big old log about 100 mts upstream which can be crossed. There is a cascade not far downstream from the junction which could be explored.
Return to the carpark by ascending Nietta Creek on an easier track. You will pass a lovely set of cascades which tasmap calls Castra Falls. Do not be deceived, the main falls are Silver Falls which you will pass just before the final climb up to the carpark. Silver Falls (signposted) are the biggest on the circuit and have two tiers. You can take a little sidetrack to the base of the falls. Then go up the little hill to the car passing another little sidetrack to the middle of the falls.
The full circuit will take around 3 hours. For an easier walk , just head down Nietta Creek to the Junction and return by the same way. Stick to the marked route as the area is steep and rough in places.

Other falls in the area.
The Dynamo Falls on Gaunt’s Road at the Homestead can be visited by permission from the Miles Family. The Cox and Violet falls are further down Castra Rivulet and access is over another private property into steep and rugged terrain.
billshep1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nic Haygarth » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 6:41 pm

Great track notes, Bill. I was there yesterday. This is now a delightful circuit, wonderful work by the track cutters. Step Falls are well worth a visit (see photo attached). Silver Falls at the end of the circuit are spectacular. Couldn't get a photo of them a few months ago because they were spitting so much spray at me. At the moment Silver Falls are a little bit more sedate but still plenty of water.
Attachments
010 adjusted2 Step Falls small.jpg
Step Falls
Nic Haygarth
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Davo1 » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 12:53 pm

Just a note with regard to the falls marked below the junction.
They are not where marked and are further down stream.
Bill if you read this I'll shoot you an email tonight..
Attachments
450A0954.jpg
450A0961.jpg
450A0964.jpg
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nic Haygarth » Thu 28 Nov, 2013 8:19 pm

Great photos, Davo1! These don't look like any falls or rapids I've seen.
Nic Haygarth
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Davo1 » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 5:51 pm

Seen today there is now a taped track into these falls.
Bit loose in places but all up quite an easy walk.
They are not where marked on the map, they are further downstream beyond the creek that enters from the left, about halfway between there and the next big bend.

Top of the falls is accessed from where there is a tree with two tapes on it.
To go to the bottom of the falls don't take a right at that tree just continue on.
Attachments
450A0971.jpg
450A0974.jpg
Top of the falls, accessed from where there is a tree that is marked with two tapes.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby caedencekuepper » Sun 01 Nov, 2015 6:57 am

Just did this walk a couple of days ago. Great walk, although there wasn't much water around. Step Falls was probably the best of them, although Silver Falls looked like it could be spectacular after rain. The whole circuit took me three hours, although I'd imagine it would take much less without all the side tracks.
Attachments
IMG_4429.jpg
Step Falls
IMG_4394.jpg
Castra Falls
IMG_4352.jpg
Silver Falls without much water
IMG_4444.jpg
Dynamo Falls
IMG_4377.jpg
Castra Cascades a little ways below Castra Falls on a side track
IMG_4362.jpg