Five Day Walk Including the 6 Foot Track?

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

Five Day Walk Including the 6 Foot Track?

Postby Dmo » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi, I'm looking to do a five day/four night trek with some friends and would like to include the Six Foot Track. I'd love some suggestions about how we could add on to the walk to make it a five day trek. Would welcome your ideas! Thanks, Dean
Dmo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Five Day Walk Including the 6 Foot Track?

Postby Allchin09 » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi Dmo - welcome to the forum,

There are plenty of walks that you could do over five days that would incorporate the Six Foot Track. Before people start throwing in suggestions, it would be helpful if you could give us some extra information such as you are your friends level of bushwalking experience (first bushwalk, been a few times, first time in the area, etc) and what sort of walking you are after (off track, on track, fire trail, etc).
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Postby FatCanyoner » Fri 07 Mar, 2014 3:51 pm

If I had five days available for bushwalking I wouldn't be wasting half of it on the six foot track!
As per Alex, we need more info about experience level. Also, how many days are you doing on the six foot track?
Without knowing that I'd probably say the easiest additions would either be a walk down the Grose River (from N end of SFT head to Medlow Bath, down Rodriguez Pass, then loop up Grose finishing at Mt Vic) or a detour through the Wild Dogs (follow Cox River from SFT crossing, maybe head via Knights Deck, go to Splendour Rock, head N across the range, go along Narrow Neck or head along mitchells ck fire trail back to SFT) or if you're fit and experienced travel down the Jenolan River to the Coxs. Lots of options out there, all better that the six foot track.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby Dmo » Sat 08 Mar, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for the responses. Our group is reasonably experienced. We've walked Kokoda, Larapinta, South Coast Track together for example and are just back from the Rees Dart in NZ (a great walk!) . We have a good level of fitness and all the gear we need. Hope the helps with some recommendations!
Dmo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Wollemi » Sat 08 Mar, 2014 9:42 am

Dmo wrote:Hi, I'm looking to do a five day/four night trek with some friends and would like to include the Six Foot Track.

You could have made it a sub-5hr run - today is the Six Foot Track Marathon. Your friends could have numbered 916 people. :D

http://www.sixfoot.com/
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Sat 08 Mar, 2014 10:08 am

The six foot traclk mainly goes through farmland and roads, yes there is some great bush walking but it doesn't link to any other major trails.

If you want a part of it nellies glen to the coxes,down to kanagra creek, up yellow pup, would be an agreeable trip for a group.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby skibug » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 11:10 pm

How about Jenolan caves to below Nellie's Glen, Red Ledge pass, Narrow Neck, golden stairs, mt. solitary, Kedumba valley/farm, Kedumba road, King's tableland rd., Rocket Point, Charles Darwin track, finish Wentworth Falls. You could do this over from 4 to 6 days. For an even bigger trek, continue from Wentworth Falls via Bruce's Walk to Katoomba airfield, Pitcher track, Rodriguez Pass, Bluegum Forest, Buracorain, Victoria Falls, Mt. Vic. Add 2 to 4 days. Enjoy.

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 8:56 pm

Red Ledge could be a bit tricky to find from below on the first visit - ascending to Narrow Neck via Devil's Hole would be easier navigation I reckon
jonnosan

Return to Six Foot Track