Ent_World - OSM maps for Garmins

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Ent_World - OSM maps for Garmins

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 6:48 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
north-north-west wrote:*sigh* If only people would make all this stuff work on:
a) Magellan GPSs and
b) Macs

Magellan is the only problem here. ;)

Well, I can't get the damn file to open on my Mac. It downloads, but when I try to open it it just duplicates the thing.
I don't particularly like BaseCamp, either.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Ent » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 1:49 pm

For better or worse the majority of effort with community mapping is with Garmins. Basecamp I agree can be downright frustrating with typical Garmin bugs so maybe you might like to try Qlandkarte which I believe can run on OS X. I have only quickly looked at it but many claim it to be much better than Basecamp.

As for Magellan units. They are probably no better or worst than Garmin units but sadly Magellan like Garmin have a deep love of propriety maps that means in Australia extremely poor maps for bushwalking. With luck someone might attempt to "crack" Magellan's code and import in OSM mapping data. It would be much better if Magellan woke up and smelled the roses and realised that by opening up their units to OSM there is a huge market of OSM users that get tired of Garmin's arrogance and poor quality issues, such as electronic compasses that simply do not work reliably enough to be trusted, and products like the Fenix that have cases that leak.

Ironically, one day Garmin will wake up (likely way too late and when going bankrupt) when a killer smart phone App is released that incorporates contours and OSM data along with raster imports with hardware that is waterproof and long battery life. If Garmin could open up their mapping and improve the screen resolution on the Montana plus not kneecap raster maps in size and number it would be worthwhile considering. At the moment there is not much to recommend spending more than on an Extrex 30 in the Garmin range, as all the higher end units have is features like three axis electronic compasses that simply do not work sufficiently well to justify the cost.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Thu 14 Nov, 2013 9:15 am

north-north-west wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:
north-north-west wrote:*sigh* If only people would make all this stuff work on:
a) Magellan GPSs and
b) Macs

Magellan is the only problem here. ;)

Well, I can't get the damn file to open on my Mac. It downloads, but when I try to open it it just duplicates the thing.

I think that's the same on PC or Mac. Basecamp won't open it unless it's on an external drive. For me the maps show up fine in Basecamp if they are on my GPS (connected by USB) or on a USB stick, wether I be using my Window 7 PC or Mac OSX 10.9.

I don't particularly like base camp either!
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:55 am

What is the file name?

Is this a basecamp map (extension .gmapi) or a Garmin GPS map (extension .img)

If it's a basecamp image, double clicking it will install it into basecamp. If it is a Garmin image then plonk it on your garmin and you should be able to browse the map via basecamp when the GPS is attached.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bush_walker » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 11:35 am

Hi All/Andrew,

I just bought a Garmin eTrex30 recently and still struggling with maps and how to copy in sd card and use them.
I saw one of your post and map for VIC, please do you/anyone have any map for NSW area or for Snowy mountain are please.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 1:58 pm

Bush_walker. Try free OSM for the area. Link was posted just earlier today in a thread titled 'Garmin vs Magellan'.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 2:42 pm

sthughes wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Well, I can't get the damn file to open on my Mac. It downloads, but when I try to open it it just duplicates the thing.

I think that's the same on PC or Mac. Basecamp won't open it unless it's on an external drive. For me the maps show up fine in Basecamp if they are on my GPS (connected by USB) or on a USB stick, wether I be using my Window 7 PC or Mac OSX 10.9.

:roll: So I download the file onto a USB drive . . . *&%$#! hell, it's just not worth all the stuffing around.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby icefest » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 2:59 pm

Finally had a chance to play with Ent_World in anger.

Incredible, is all I can say. Community tracks are miles ahead of the *ahem* competition.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewp » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Bush_walker,

I was off to KNP over Christmas and intended to do an OSM Garmin version for NSW (probably just the SE corner) as I did for Vic, but ran out of time. It's still on my list, but not a high priority given that it may be a while before I will be walking in NSW again.

There are other Garmin versions available (e.g. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl as posted by GPSGuided), but IMO they are not very useful for bushwalkers, even when using Contours Australia overlay.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 3:42 pm

Here's the link for OSM Garmin compatible map downloads.
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 3:46 pm

andrewp wrote:There are other Garmin versions available (e.g. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl as posted by GPSGuided), but IMO they are not very useful for bushwalkers, even when using Contours Australia overlay.

I agree. One day when I've grown beyond OSM, I'll invest in OzTopo.
http://www.oztopo.com.au/index.htm

Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Clusterpod » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 4:37 pm

GPSGuided wrote:I agree. One day when I've grown beyond OSM, I'll invest in OzTopo.

I'd be very interested in hearing your argument for OzTopo, against, say, Topo Australia V4?

I bought Topo Aus when V3 was first released, and for the most part its been fine for use in WA as it shows alot of the ex-forestry roads-become-goattracks that I like. But now we've moved east I've noticed a few errors, where peaks are for example, and was going to blindly upgrade to V4 in the hope that it was better.
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 4:49 pm

Clusterpod, I have not had a very detailed comparison b/n Garmin's Topo Australia and OzTopo. But based on the samples I have of OzTopo and the exchanges I had, I have been most impressed with the available detail. Given it's a local outfit, I feel they (would) deserve my support along with all the local knowledge and contacts they have, presumably one that translates to better data. I don't feel that Garmin has a very high priority on their topo/outdoor products, a big step to their road mapping products. At present, I don't have enough outdoors activities to justify the investment in OzTopo. OSM and some paper maps have been sufficient. I also enjoy contributing back to OSM upon my return.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 6:06 pm

What's the verdict with outdated/sensitive tracks in OSM?
Do they get removed?

(eg P****** Ridge on Mt Anne)
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Clusterpod » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 6:07 pm

Thanks for that! Supporting local; I hadn't realised they were a local outfit.
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 6:10 pm

icefest wrote:What's the verdict with outdated/sensitive tracks in OSM?
Do they get removed?

(eg P****** Ridge on Mt Anne)

As its open source and there are many editors its likely that they may get added and then removed, then added, then removed......
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 6:19 pm

I think that most people who are willing to contribute are sensible. As such, the available data tend to reflect similar attitudes. For expired tracks, some would remove the data while others would annotate the old track. But given it's dependent on active participation, how up to date depends on available contributor.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 11:37 pm

Clusterpod wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:I agree. One day when I've grown beyond OSM, I'll invest in OzTopo.

I'd be very interested in hearing your argument for OzTopo, against, say, Topo Australia V4?

I have OzTopo v4 in Mapsource/Basecamp custom tiling smaller img's into areas I'm interested in and Garmin Topo v4 for the in-car GPS. Garmin is seemingly thin on services detail in open country. OzTopo is better but does not route. OzTopo v6 is supposed to be the bees knees but is it really. Hema maps are better again for detailed remote services but I prefer them on paper. Shonky and Tracks4Australia still get a backup nod because they show tracks mostly, but I have found that I do prefer OSM combined with 'Contours Australia 5 metres' on the Etrex 20, with a regional BlueChart for fishing spots. :wink:

Garmin Etrex 20; my 3 screen captures:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But then again an Etrex H..
..which has no internal map, alt or compass is my overall favourite.

8)
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Postby Stibb » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 9:14 pm

New and rather ignorant owner of an eTrex 30 here. I managed to install Ent_World and it's working fine. THANKS for sharing!!!
How can I add specific routes marked on the map to the devise? E.g. I can see the tracks in WoJ but I would like to add it to the gps as routes...Can someone give me some handholding instructions? I've had a look in OSM but the site doesn't make any sense to me :?
Stibb

Postby Zone-5 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 2:58 am

With OSM, click on the map and then look to the left for individual tiles listed with names of specific locations, too easy. just copy them to the Garmin folder and off you go and they are routable as well!
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5

Region: Australia

Postby Ent » Thu 20 Mar, 2014 12:30 am

On my to do list is updating Ent_world. The Gmapmk group have been working hard on improving routing and precision plus slight reduction in img file size so hopefully some gains.

Been using Ent_world a fair bit in the real world and refining a few things. Pleasing to see the growing level of detail from all the OSM mappers out there.

As for tracks. You can spend endless hours debating what is sensitive, but in the real world people tend to find and follow paths. It might be better than numerous pads been formed as people stumble around. Honestly, it is the Chapman of the world that can push a track past its recovery point rather than its mere existence on a map. A classic example is the Never Never. Once it was a minor path but thanks to the Chapman's of the world it is been pushed to the point of needing track work to moderate the environmental damage.

Recently I attempted part of the Penguin to Cradle Trail. The low usage meant it was challenging to find and follow so work is needed to mark this in. I am sure if it was call "great/hardest/remotest/etc" by the Chapman's of the world then a mud super highway would form. Reynolds Falls track is an example of a low used track that appears at this stage to have the right balance of enough walkers to keep it open but not enough to destroy the area.

That reminds me I need to update OSM re the road route to the Arm River to deal with the growing problem of Forestry not replacing bridges so closing roads. This is becoming a major frustration for walkers. Meander Falls being another example.

As an OSM mapper I use a simple rule. Can the track be followed without a GPS. If it can, then up it goes. Basically, that is how I walk the track. A GPS track is very handy in adverse conditions or joining up to from an off track wander. My main interest now in walking is joining up areas say from Lake McKenzie to the Walls. I do not put in ways I wander off track but if I stumble across a well marked path then I will put this up.

It is amazing the number of regularly trod tracks that do not appear on maps. A good example is the track from the bottom of Meander Falls to the top. Here the track is just a cained route up a scree field so unlikely to be sensitive. It is handy to know if you are wandering in the area. I did a loop from one of the other paths up to the plateau to down this track. The route I took across the plateau was not put up as it merely was us following a line of least resistance.

Anyway. I hope the work in making Ent_world is useful and it encourages people to contribute to OSM. Just wish I could liberate Tasmap's contour data as my recent walk to Mount Geryon proved that the Nasa contour data has a few issues as it is 90 metre readings extrapolated to form 5-90 metre contour data.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi All

As promised/threaten? a new version of Ent_World has been released. Actually two. The version called Ent_World_r3118.img is been generated with the latest version of mkgmap. The latest version of mkgmap promises smaller file size and improved routing so should be the one to use. But for "safety" sake I have generated the standard named version with the older mkgmap generator. Now, be aware that only one version should be loaded on your GPS, as otherwise they will conflict in strange ways. If you are going to use the new version then rename it and remove the _r3118 part and copy it straight over the older version,if you have already installed that.

Now for some feedback. Actually any would be appreciated.

Within the user group we have found the point of interest (POI) search is rather broken on the Rino 650 but works (if slowly) on the 62s. Good news, is it work apparently well on the Oregon 450. Also the routing, used to calculate distance to go, on the Rino 650 can be highly imaginative on what it comes up with as you walk along, but better on the 62s. Again, it apparently works well on the Oregon 450.

Anyway, have fun. And for the, living proof of Darwinian theory types out there, it is a home rolled mapping system that relies on numerous contributors, of varying ability and accuracy, combined a reverse engineered OSM to Garmin map generator, so it has no claim to accuracy and working ability. It should not be your primary navigation tool, and is at best a useful, but possible misleading guide.

Cheers
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 6:55 pm

and here is the link if you have just joined us...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g7nxh1xwjrlxg5v/O9sBszLB0n
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby greyim » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 6:24 am

"..would appreciate any feedback."

"To install on most newish Garmins, just copy the img file to the Garmin directory on your GPS."

Oregon 400 what I do is rename gmappsupp.img xgmappsupp.img
Then copy and rename the download gmappsupp.img
Works straight up, marvellous
Nothing beats a nice camp fire
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewp » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 10:36 pm

If anyone is interested, I have uploaded to dropbox Open Street Maps for Garmin GPS for all of Australia. Each state has a separate map with 10m contours.

You can download them from:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zzekid1f5g7mud5/AADL_LqQIyQ9RIScgVhw5k53a?dl=0

Unlike most of the OSM for Garmin I have seen, these are (hopefully) suitable for bushwalking. The style was originally based on that used by Ent (thanks).

Hope they are useful to some of you.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby glenndev41 » Mon 27 Oct, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi Ent,

From a bit of a GPS novice, thanks a million for all of your hard work creating the Ent_World maps. I've recently read pretty much all of this thread and comprehend about half of it.

I loaded Ent_World_r3118.img. onto my Oregon 450 at the weekend and it all seems to work well and look good except that all lakes including reasonably big ones like Rowallan, Meston, Adelaide, Louisa, etc come up as simply "Water" (sometimes: "Water", "Water", Water", Water") and rivers and some smaller lakes (like Junction) are identified only as "River". I've set the GPS map detail variously to "normal", "more" and "most" all to no effect. I'm pretty sure it's the same on Basecamp but will check tonight. Are you able to provide a tip as what may be happening here and how I might correct it. Similarly huts are all identified as either "Alpine" (for habitable) or "Wilderness" (for heritage) rather than their common names such as "Kia Ora", "Trappers", "Lees Paddocks", etc.

I've also noticed that the track from Lake Meston to Junction Lake is incomplete. I will be logging our walk (until batteries die at least) and am happy to provide you with the track log for that bit of track if you're interested.

Cheers
Glenn
glenndev41
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby glenndev41 » Mon 27 Oct, 2014 3:44 pm

Oops,
Cut but no paste... the following sentence should have been included there somewhere:
We will be heading in to lake Artemis this coming long weekend via Jackson's Ck track, Lake Myrtle, Mt Rogoona, Meston, Junction then out via Moses Ck track.

Cheers,
Glenn
Really? Plastic track marker ties at 3m intervals... triple toppers we're watching you!
glenndev41
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ent » Mon 27 Oct, 2014 4:01 pm

glenndev41 wrote:Hi Ent,

From a bit of a GPS novice, thanks a million for all of your hard work creating the Ent_World maps. I've recently read pretty much all of this thread and comprehend about half of it.

I loaded Ent_World_r3118.img. onto my Oregon 450 at the weekend and it all seems to work well and look good except that all lakes including reasonably big ones like Rowallan, Meston, Adelaide, Louisa, etc come up as simply "Water" (sometimes: "Water", "Water", Water", Water") and rivers and some smaller lakes (like Junction) are identified only as "River". I've set the GPS map detail variously to "normal", "more" and "most" all to no effect. I'm pretty sure it's the same on Basecamp but will check tonight. Are you able to provide a tip as what may be happening here and how I might correct it. Similarly huts are all identified as either "Alpine" (for habitable) or "Wilderness" (for heritage) rather than their common names such as "Kia Ora", "Trappers", "Lees Paddocks", etc.

I've also noticed that the track from Lake Meston to Junction Lake is incomplete. I will be logging our walk (until batteries die at least) and am happy to provide you with the track log for that bit of track if you're interested.

Cheers
Glenn

Hi

The issue has been caused by a new version of mkgmap needing a different configuration in the style files. Given that the standard style files move on as mkgmap is developed I need to use them as a base and restart the modification I made. Time has not allowed for this, but it is on my to do list. Yes the Junction Lake bit is missing as we zig instead of zag (ok got lost, err more accurately lost the argument with a fellow walker on what way to go) so more than happy to upload the GPX tracks.

Cheers
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby glenndev41 » Mon 27 Oct, 2014 4:33 pm

Ok, thanks for the prompt reply. I'll reload the map after you get a chance to update the file. Will send you the GPX track file after the weekend... when I work out how to accomplish it.

Cheers
Really? Plastic track marker ties at 3m intervals... triple toppers we're watching you!
glenndev41
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby icefest » Mon 27 Oct, 2014 4:36 pm

Have you tried clicking on the huts themselves?

As far as track logs go, you can add the track to the map yourself, and give back to the community - if you have time.
I'll usually avoid adding routes that are not official tracks, and really avoid any tracks in sensitive areas.

I'm also not sure when Ent last updated the map, so it could have been done already.
Just checked, nope.

I guess I'll have fire up JOSM and fix the Mersey too then...
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble