Lemonthyme and waterfalls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lemonthyme and waterfalls

Postby walkinTas » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 1:27 pm

I went for a drive up to Lemonthyme Lodge last week with a view to walk to the three named waterfalls. I was in for a very pleasant surprise.

We parked in the day visitor car park. The walk up to Champagne and Bridal Veil Falls is a very easy family walk - a bit uphill at the start only but on a 4WD track. There was heaps of water in Bull Creek and the falls were fantastic. We took the bushwalking track from Champagne falls along the creek to Bridal Veil falls. This is a lovely little walk. We returned via the 4WD track.

On the way back to the car we met a couple from NSW who were staying at the Lodge and they told us of a second walk to "No Name" falls. I suspected they might have been to Hullabaloo falls. We found the track and headed up to this fall. I quickly realized we weren't heading to Hullabaloo falls, but in the opposite direction. What a wonderful surprise awaited. As we turned the last bend in the track we were confronted by a curtain of water. A magnificent 60 to 80 metre fall (maybe taller). I had no idea this fall existed. It isn't on any map. Even the creek it is in isn't on any map I have. I added this fall and the co-ordinates to the List of Waterfalls.

Unfortunately I didn't get any good photos to share. Trees obscure the falls and its too tall to photograph from the base. The best spot would be standing in the creek on top of the manferns (Lol). Late in the day (around 4PM) we found the track to the top of the falls, but didn't go up. I will return soon. There might be a better photo op on the way to the top of the falls.

We didn't get to go down to Hullabaloo falls which is below Lemonthyme lodge on private property.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lemonthyme and waterfalls

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 1:34 pm

I've been itching to get out there. Good encouragement for me!
the_camera_poser

Re: Lemonthyme and waterfalls

Postby walkinTas » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 2:27 pm

This kml file might help. The "big tree" track (not shown) in past the picnic spot is the easier way to "No Name" falls. Also you'll see sign posts in the garden bed near the day visitors car park. Near the end of the "Big Tree" track is the track to the top of the falls.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania