Mt Cougal/Springbrook

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Mt Cougal/Springbrook

Postby tas-man » Fri 08 Feb, 2013 1:22 pm

When in Brisbane in January, I took the opportunity to visit Springbrook one day and walk out to the "Best of All Lookout" to refresh my memories of the area. Here are a couple of photos to add to this thread.

IMG_4279.JPG
iPhone panorama from "Best of All" Lookout.

P1230198.JPG
Eastern end of Springbrook and Mt Cougal.

P1230203.JPG
Boyds Butte and Mt Cougal.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby logicalor » Fri 08 Nov, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi all

Thought I'd drop a couple of bits of media in here from a walk Brisbane Bushwalkers took up the Cougals earlier this year. We were caught in rain at the summit of East Peak so the descent was a little interesting.

Video I took with my chest-mounted GoPro video camera (Youtube)

East Peak, Mount Cougal by Shaun Johnston, on Flickr
logicalor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Pteropus » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 10:48 am

That's a great photo Shaun! My photo from the east peak of Mt Cougal, the original pic in this thread, has been my laptop background photo for the past two or so years now.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby tas-man » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 11:06 am

I'll second that! Just for the record, here's a comparison of my 1969 photo with Shaun's latest above. It's great to see the grass trees still there. Thanks also for the link to your BBW walk video - brought back some faded memories :D

Mt Cougal comparisons.jpg
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Haribolman » Sun 10 Nov, 2013 12:18 pm

Just amazing to think there's been 44 years between those photos and the 1969 one looks like it could have been taken yesterday!
Haribolman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby logicalor » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 12:35 pm

tas-man wrote:I'll second that! Just for the record, here's a comparison of my 1969 photo with Shaun's latest above. It's great to see the grass trees still there. Thanks also for the link to your BBW walk video - brought back some faded memories :D

You're welcome! I love that side by side comparison. Remarkable!
logicalor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nungulba » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 12:57 pm

Just curious...Are those big black spiders with yellow stripes and monstrous golden webs still there East of the Cougals?
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby logicalor » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 1:39 pm

We didn't see any Golden Orb Weavers when we were last up there a few weeks ago. There are probably plenty around though. I was leading so I copped a lot of spider web but nothing big :)
logicalor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dis » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 3:39 pm

We hiked up to the Cougals on the 5th Jan, 2014 via the normal route (Garden of Eden Road). We also traversed to the West Peak (which wasn't that difficult) as the whole route is taped. Early in the morning the whole peak was under cloud cover, but by the time we reached the summit it had cleared (which was lucky for us).

Has anyone traversed to Boyds Butte from the Cougals and is it worth it? Or is it better via the Sawmill at Currumbin?
Attachments
cougal1.jpg
cougal2.jpg
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby KrazyKeith » Sun 20 Apr, 2014 5:15 pm

Easter Sunday 2014: We summitted Boyds Butte at west end (elevation 520 m) and sat on rock to admire view, much surprised to find large red bellied black snake asleep on next rock. Plan was "From the public car park at Cougal Cascades picnic area at the end of Currumbin Creek Rd we enter the Cougal Nat Park and walk an easy 1.5 k along the tarmac path to the Old Saw Mill. We proceed W along the creek bank for 200 M then cross the creek and at the sharp bend we will take the ridge line route - this is marked with red fluorescent tape on saplings as it climbs away from the creek and is used by the geocaching gang. Its not much in terms of pure distance ( approx another 3 k each way - but we can expect some rought terrain I'm sure ! ) The ascent should take approx 2 hours - less to return. It should be almost impossible to get lost as Currumbin Creek will always be below us on our left". Actually it is a strenuous 2.5 hours climb, even in perfect weather, across some v rough terrain - route is quite well marked with red fluorescent tape and we added more where necessary. Ros nearly got wiped out by a mini rock fall, steep sections are quite hazardous !
KrazyKeith
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sun 20 Apr, 2014 6:49 pm

Havn't done this route yet...thanks for the post krazykeith.

.....via tapatalk.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby currumbin » Sun 20 Jul, 2014 10:06 am

First post here...recently went up and climbed mt cougal (east peak) and enjoyed the hike. Just wondering if anyone can give a detailed description as to how we would get to the west peak from the top of the east peak? I have read a couple descriptions but it seems to be a bit more difficult to interpret them when you're up on the mountain looking for the tracks. Thanks
currumbin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dis » Tue 22 Jul, 2014 3:35 pm

When I went up in January, there is a track not far from the East Summit leading steeply downhill through spear lilies. The whole traverse is taped and should be relatively easy to follow. Happy to show you the way if interested.
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Champion_Munch » Tue 22 Jul, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi currumbin,

I recently did the Cougal peaks, I have some (hopefully clear) details of the walk on my blog here: http://sirkingchampionmunch.blogspot.co ... ougal.html. If you made it to the top of the east peak you should have no difficulty getting to the west, I found the route was fairly obvious on my first attempt. If you need more details I am happy to provide more!

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dis » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 5:57 pm

So I walked up to Gorge Falls this morning - beautiful spot... Went for a swim but I must say it was *&%$#! cold!! There are a few ropes set up on the left cliff side of Gorge Falls to ascend, so I wonder if there's anything else upstream that is worth visiting.

Thanks tasman for the directions earlier in this post.

DSC02465.jpg
The "Get Lost" sign at the start of the walk

DSC02439.jpg
The waterfall up the right fork. Not sure if it has a name...

DSC02449.jpg
Gorge Falls
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Cclan » Tue 14 Oct, 2014 1:15 pm

Looks amazing. I have been visiting the area for a long time but have never done this walk. Now I have to do it.
Cclan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Cclan » Tue 14 Oct, 2014 1:22 pm

How would the difficulty of this walk compare to the Stinson walk up from Christmas Creek?

I did that walk about 5 years ago. It was hard but fun.
Cclan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Springbrook Girl » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 7:58 am

The Cream Track from Springbrook to Tallebudgera Valley has become impossible due to the manger of the property at the top of the walk attempting to put a sturdy barb wire fence around his property. What was thought to be road reserve is likely to turn out to be on private property. The actual road reserve is through impenetrable rainforest with loads of lawyer vine. I will keep you posted when surveyors have done there bit and where the actual road reserve is will become clearer.
He is clearing with out a permit and has been reported to the authorities.
Springbrook Girl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tas-man » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 9:21 pm

Springbrook Girl wrote:The Cream Track from Springbrook to Tallebudgera Valley has become impossible due to the manger of the property at the top of the walk attempting to put a sturdy barb wire fence around his property. What was thought to be road reserve is likely to turn out to be on private property. The actual road reserve is through impenetrable rainforest with loads of lawyer vine. I will keep you posted when surveyors have done there bit and where the actual road reserve is will become clearer.
He is clearing with out a permit and has been reported to the authorities.

Thanks Springbrook Girl for providing this information and offering to keep us updated on the situation. Please add photos of this area if you are able.
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Springbrook Girl » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 3:57 pm

Most of what was thought to be road reserve is on private property that will be fenced, have very stern warning signs about trespassing and cameras making sure there will be no trespassers. The actual road reserve is no longer visible
and walking it would be detrimental to some very beautiful forest. Loads of lawyer vine.
Springbrook Girl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tas-man » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 8:42 pm

Springbrook Girl wrote:Most of what was thought to be road reserve is on private property that will be fenced, have very stern warning signs about trespassing and cameras making sure there will be no trespassers. The actual road reserve is no longer visible
and walking it would be detrimental to some very beautiful forest. Loads of lawyer vine.

I assume that the property that is being re-surveyed and new fences established is the Lot 79 on this extract from my old 1971 Springbrook National Park map. If that is the case, then any future access may well be made easier by following along the newly established fence line. I had been under the impression that many of these properties had been resumed by the Queensland Government to allow them to be rehabilitated and returned back to rainforest. If anyone has more detailed information about this, please share it with us here.
Picture 3.png
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Matt Walker » Mon 10 Nov, 2014 3:25 pm

Looking at head to gorge falls tallebudgera, can you inform me of any directions. cheers Matt
Matt Walker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No

Postby tas-man » Mon 10 Nov, 2014 9:18 pm

Matt Walker wrote:Looking at head to gorge falls tallebudgera, can you inform me of any directions. cheers Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. Have a look back on page 2 of this topic and look at the 1970's Heybob article. Here's a link to the page about accessing the waterfalls on upper Tallebudgera Creek. download/file.php?id=14668&mode=view
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dis » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 10:31 am

Hello Matt,

Did you find your way to Gorge Falls? If not, I can help with directions.
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Currumby » Sat 21 Mar, 2015 8:22 pm

I did the Mt Cougal walk today with a mate of mine and it was certainly challenging in the wet and foggy conditions. We knew the forecast wasn't that encouraging, but we went ahead with it anyway. The track is heavily overgrown at the moment all the way to edge of the rainforest. Covered in grass, some lantana and that cane vegetation. When we started at 7am it wasn't raining, but after about half hour it rained for the entire time. Visibility was low. No long range views whatsoever and the rainforest section was very dark. Got to the top of the east peak, then the thunder and lightning started. At the top, visibility was about 3-5 metres. We really got the deluxe rainforest experience today. The entire walk was shrouded in mist and fog, occasional heavy rain, thunder and lightning. But it was certainly memorable.

About 1/3 of the way into the walk in the grassland area, there is an old wooden gate on the border fence. Looks like there might be a trail on the NSW side of the border fence. Just wondering if there is an alternate route that perhaps follows down to the continuation of Garden Of Eden Rd from the car park at the bottom.
Currumby
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby TheCreamTrack » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 8:39 pm

The Cream Track is open... visit http://www.TheCreamTrack.com.au for details.

It is true that a significant portion of the cream track at the Springbrook Mountain end is located on private property. I personally manage this private property, a working farm and Highland Cattle Stud and have done so for some years.

The Gold Coast Bushwalkers Club regularly walk The Cream Track and are a great resource if you wish to walk this track with experienced folks or obtain further information.

email: goldcoastbushwalkers@gmail.com
phone: 0490 488 064

In order to allow walkers to legally traverse the private property sections of the track at the Springbrook end, simply visit the website http://www.TheCreamTrack.com.au and fill out your online form for your free online permit which will be emailed to you automatically. Download the KML property boundary file from the website to your GPS to ensure you remain on the road reserve for the Tallebudgera sector.

With best wishes to all

Greg Kernaghan
Property Manager
SERENITY
2940 - 3000 Springbrook Road
SPRINGBROOK QLD 4213

P.S. If any one would like to submit photos or stories for the web site www.thecreamtrack.com.au to help tell the story and history - it would be much appreciated - please PM me thanks :)
TheCreamTrack
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Pteropus » Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:18 pm

That is fantastic Greg! I never ended up attempting that walk (which is fortunate really since I may not have found a way out through the bush at the top end), but would definitely do it now if I ever find myself living in the region again. Thanks for the information and permission to traverse your property that you have provided :D
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby Nungulba » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 9:48 pm

Yes, excellent outcome all round!

I have fond memories of that track, having ridden by bicycle to the end of the Tallebudgera road and then followed the track to the top. This would have been in the early sixties (more than 50 years ago) when the original track was quite obvious. One of my school friends at Southport High lived on the mountain, I think he was a member of the Jordan family? I wonder if he still lives there?? Perhaps Mr Kernaghan would know??
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kirabilly96 » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 12:47 pm

Very interested in heading down to gorge falls- tallebudgera. I am aware no one has posted in this forum in years, but was hoping someone could provide me with a little direction. I have seen the 1970's Heybob article, but was wondering where the track starts and more specific detail from someone who has been there more recently? thanks so much in advance
kirabilly96
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby JonWard68 » Thu 10 Nov, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi all. Theres been some mention of the Cream Track in this thread so I thought I'd let you know I walked it last Sunday 6 November. Walked from Tally Valley end to Springbrook. Unfortunately had to turn back around 1km from the end due to time constraints. The track is fairly well signposted most of the way, with ribbons tied to trees where the track is less obvious. The walk involves around 4 creek crossings which are reasonably straightforward and didnt require any footwear removal. The track itself varies from well worn vehicle tracks to quite dense bush in places. Itsby no means an easy walk and the ascent to Sprinbrook is quite steep in places. A pic of Mt Cougal from Cream Track is attached

Mt Cougal.JPG
Mt Cougal.JPG (201.81 KiB) Viewed 43713 times
JonWard68
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland