Mount Kenya

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Mount Kenya

Postby Tassam » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 9:23 am

Hello, was wondering if anyone here has done any of the three peaks of Mt Kenya? Or any trekking in Kenya.

Better still, is anyone going to Kenya in December 2014 and would like to go up Mt Kenya without a guide. They don't allow soloists, party of two is ok.
Tassam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mount Kenya

Postby eggs » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 10:41 am

Did a bit of a photo report here:http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10585

We went as a party of 2, but used a well recognised porter/guide service out of Naru Moru River Lodge.
The guide was quite flexible in what we wanted to do.
I know it costs, but it sure helps the locals who are surviving on very little.

Beware of altitude sickness - we saw a very fit young man who had to go back. He believed he did not acclimatise slowly enough.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Tassam » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 8:11 pm

Awesome eggs! Thanks for that.

I'll try and take a guide. Not sure if I want a porter and cook. I've been looking at some journals about the Lenana trek and see full dining tables, chairs, and a huge amount of unbalanced gear on porters back's. I would rather donate money to a family than have them carry a plastic table up a mountain. But im sure all trekking packages are different.

Thanks for your information, great help.
Tassam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snowzone » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 9:28 am

Hi Tassam, are you doing Kenya as a warm up for Kili or just in its own right? I am doing Kili in December and had originally planned to do Kenya but then I seen some photos of Meru and decided that suited my plans better. As I am travelling on my own I have booked with a company for both peaks.
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Tassam » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Snowzone,

No i'm not doing it as a warmup. I'm going over to Kenya and thought, might as well walk up something while I am there. I have also thought about going up Kili also if the funds permit. I'll be travelling to Africa with my father, but going on walks solo as he is a bit too old.

Have you booked with a group of random people or just going up on your own ( plus guide )?
Tassam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snowzone » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 4:41 pm

I'm just going with a guide on Meru but will be in a group with random hopefully nice people on Kili. I hope your travels go well, best of luck on summiting Kenya.
Snowzone

Region: Victoria

Postby creeping_moses » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 6:08 pm

Very tempting. I will be in Kenya this December but wasn't planning on heading to Mt. Kenya. Very tempting though!
Last trip I tackled Kili and Mt. Stanley in the Rwenzoris. I want to summit the highpoints though so I think I will climb to Batian once I have a bit more rope experience.

Will await your reports with interest and might pass you in Nairobi!
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby radson » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 6:54 pm

My partner and I have been eyeing of Batian for quite some time. Good trip reports/pics on the cosleyhouston site.
radson
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NZAC - Australia. Mainpeak
Region: New South Wales

Postby Tassam » Sat 16 Aug, 2014 11:13 am

Flying with all that rope and gear would be troublesome!

Let me know if you want to go up MT Kenya without a guide Creeping_moses
Tassam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby radson » Sat 16 Aug, 2014 1:09 pm

Thats what duffle bags are for :)
radson
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NZAC - Australia. Mainpeak
Region: New South Wales

Postby kyliejones » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 6:01 pm

Did you end up treking up Mt Kenya when you went in December?

While you were there, did you pick up any tips on budget sightseeing in Amboseli or over the border in Tanzania? We may have a week or so before a Kenya migration safari in September to fill, was looking at Tanzania's ngorongoro crater / serengeti area. We may have an alternative in Zambia doing some wildlife volunteering instead, decisions decisions.

Did you end up getting a Satori bag to replace your Tilopa? Did you take it to Kenya with you, and if so how'd you go with it on the international flights?

I bought a Satori (in malibu blue) a couple of months ago and then had a d'oh moment when I started reading up about tsetse flies liking bright blue (I think I'm related to them:)! The foliage green colour would have been a lot more practical, or an older 2nd hand one in that paler cream colour they had.
kyliejones
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby creeping_moses » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 7:02 pm

Also very interested to hear if you made it up Mt. Kenya. My trip was mostly uneventful bar being charged by some very angry gorillas the Uganda/DRCongo border.

Kyliejones, I'd recommend spending a little more on your safari if going in Northern Tanzania. I've done most of the parks in this region and have had some terrible 'budget' experiences, some OK mid-range trips and some absolutely spectacular high end trips. I know I won't be roughing it on any organised safaris I ever do in the future. I have found the extra coin to be very worth it.
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International