MSR Hubba Hubba vs Mont Moondance 2 - any thoughts?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

MSR Hubba Hubba vs Mont Moondance 2 - any thoughts?

Postby Jellybean » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi,

I have a Macpac Olympus but am keen to buy a lighter 3 season hiking tent. Am tossing up between the MSR Hubba Hubba and the Mont Moondance 2 (have also considered the Marmot Nutshell but like the idea of two entries/vestibules). Any thoughts, recommendations either way (or for something completely different?).

Thanks!
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: MSR Hubba Hubba vs Mont Moondance 2 - any thoughts?

Postby NickD » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 6:26 pm

Have used a Mont tent on commercial trips. Don't think it was the Moondance but it was a two person with two doors.

Was quite dissapointed, found the built in groundsheet to be hopeless and impossible to protect from pouring rain, so basically the ground sheet acted as a bath tub and made the inner floor very wet. This was from their 2008 range, the first series they'd produced in a while and I'm not sure if they've ammended it.

Mont are an awesome brand, I love their gear a lot but found this highly dissapointing.
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby dee_legg » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 6:46 pm

I think Nick would be talking about the Krypton, which has been criticised for its inbuilt ground sheet, which does act as a bath tub in rain. However, the ground sheet has been dropped in the Moondance series. IMO it's a great little tent, has the standard Mont quality which is great and from having a play with one in shop i'm confident in the pole structure. I'd get a Moondance 2 if i was in the market for a two person tent but at the moment the Mountain Hardwear Spire is doing fine.
I've got no experience with the MSR tent.
Hope you find what you're after!
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Humpo » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 9:46 pm

If your going to get the Hubba Hubba get the HP. It is lighter and has a better inner with alot less mesh. It is a great tent but I found it a bit small for two. But you can make it work with your packs out side. Super east to put up and really good quality.

They are on sale from this place.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/categories ... Tents.html
Humpo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby stepbystep » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 9:55 pm

dee_legg wrote:I think Nick would be talking about the Krypton, which has been criticised for its inbuilt ground sheet, which does act as a bath tub in rain. However, the ground sheet has been dropped in the Moondance series. IMO it's a great little tent, has the standard Mont quality which is great and from having a play with one in shop i'm confident in the pole structure. I'd get a Moondance 2 if i was in the market for a two person tent but at the moment the Mountain Hardwear Spire is doing fine.
I've got no experience with the MSR tent.
Hope you find what you're after!

Thanks dee_legg, that may help me, have seen the Mont tent around(their gear is everywhere in Hobart), will investigate the diff between, Krypton and Moondance.
Have had a Mont jacket for 3 years and has been bril, but have been concerned about the brand by the sheer amount of gear in the shops, and I don't trust ANY salespeople(sorry all the nice salespeople out there).
SBS
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dee_legg » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 7:36 am

There always does seem to be a lot of Mont gear in the shops hey? I think it's because they still aren't a well known brand, and a lot of people would rather buy something like North Face because they think that because they've seen the posters, it must be a good brand.. which it is in a lot of respects but anyway.
Definitely check the tents out in the flesh, aside from taking it home for a test run, it's the only way to know if it'll work for you.
I have numerous pieces of Mont gear and like you have been impressed with the quality. I reckon the stuff doesn't sell as well as most people buy one of their coats and ITS SO GOOD that they never have to buy another again :wink:
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gearguy » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 9:27 am

The MSR hubba Hubba is a great tent unfortunately a little pricey.Mont moondance is the way to go especially if you want the same materials as all of the well known brands but at a great price, have a look at the following specs at http://www.kellysbasecamp.com.au website.Become a member and receive a further 10% discount with free postage.

http://www.kellysbasecamp.com.au/p/9004 ... nce-2.html

hope this helps :idea:

gearguy
(Kellys Basecamp)
gearguy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 9:31 am

Hi gearguy, have you used Kellys yet?...

The North Face has an interesting history... No so long ago they were a very small company. They were very good on publicity, a few good (box office style) product placements were apparently what did it for them...

I have no experince with the Moondance though do have some Mont gear, good quality. Same with MSR though other many brands seem to be offering good 3 season tents now (lighter/cheaper?).

I have taken an interested in the One Planet (Gunyah) tents to try at some stage (very light).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby woka » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 9:34 am

NickD wrote:Was quite dissapointed, found the built in groundsheet to be hopeless and impossible to protect from pouring rain, so basically the ground sheet acted as a bath tub and made the inner floor very wet. This was from their 2008 range, the first series they'd produced in a while and I'm not sure if they've ammended it.

I agree this is probably the Krypton. I have the Moondance I (1 person version) and have had it set up in mud without any problems (the mud wasn't too bad, but it was wet). The Moondance II should be the same.
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby blacksheep » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 2:40 pm

macrolight @2.0kg from macpac is a few weeks away also..worth considering perghaps?
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby loric » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 3:22 pm

I reckon stick with your olympus and pocket the savings!

I went through this and ended up sticking with my WE first arrow. It's a little heavier at 3.2kg.. but what the heck, it has heaps of space, bombproof and i can pitch it anywhere in the wind (unlike 3 season tents).
If i'm really scrounging to save weight i leave the inner at home and just take the fly.

Comparisons:
WE Second Arrow - 2.4kg
Salewa Sparrow - 2.2kg

The WE 2nd is a 4 season/alpine tho.

WE make a good 3 season called the Dart2 - mates have this one and love it.
Not way lighter than the olympus tho.
Another mate has the Salewa Ultra - but again, not too much lighter than than the olympus, also it's a 4 season...
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Jellybean » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 7:56 am

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice - much appreciated! You've definitely given me some food for thought!

Definitely keen to find a tent that weighs 2kg or less. Based on the comments above I'm now considering:

- MSR Hubba Hubba HP (overcomes some of the concerns I had about the HH - lighter, larger vestibules and less mesh). Although exy here you can get it on sale for a couple of places in the US for around 400USD. (I'd prefer to support the local industry, but savings of several hundred dollars are a little hard to ignore). Have also seen lots of great reviews by people who have used it.

- Mont Moondance 2 - seems to have great features (thanks for the tip re Kelly's - they are way cheaper than the outdoor stores in the city and just around the corner from me!) and Mont do make great gear. But have not yet found someone who actually has used one!?

- The new Macpac Macrolight sounds interesting too - Cam do you have any more specs/info? (Couldn't find anything on the net). Will it definitely be out in October? (Our first major trip will be Tassie in November - Cradle Mtn, W of J, Bay of Fires, Freycinet).

Really like One Planet gear too (really light tent!) but seems quite narrow and not sure about the nylon floor - want to know that the floor is totally waterproof.

Thanks again for your tips!!

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 9:20 am

I'd also throw a Tarptent or two into the mix:

1 Person:
TarpTent Scarp1 US$295 base price for the tent, add Crossing Poles (US$30) for 4 season capability.
TarpTent Moment US$215 base price for the tent, add Crossing Pole (US$15) for 4 season capability.
(The Scarp is a dual skin tent, the Moment is single skinned)

2 Person:
TarpTent Scarp2 US$325 base price for the tent, add solid interior and Crossing Poles (US$50) for 4 season capability.

All pretty light tents in this company, especially the Moment. The Scarp1 is currently being revised with a lower fly, not sure if the same treatment is being applied to the Scarp2. Franco might know.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NeedBetterAlias » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 9:52 am

Humpo wrote:If your going to get the Hubba Hubba get the HP. It is lighter and has a better inner with alot less mesh. It is a great tent but I found it a bit small for two. But you can make it work with your packs out side. Super east to put up and really good quality.

They are on sale from this place.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/categories ... Tents.html

Having been looking closely at the Hubba Hubba HP, is it really suitable for Tassie conditions? New to Tassie and used to the balmy weather of WA....
Also, were you slugged with customs fees when ordering from e-omc, or has anyone when ordering from US sites?
NeedBetterAlias
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 10:03 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 10:35 am

It is written into the trade policy, google ' internet buying customs australia' $1000au inc. postage (though I suspect that the 'actual' threshold before they bother with you must be set somewhat higher as I've gone well past that).

Any of those tents would be fine. The option to close them up would be great for winter/cold weather but there will be a weight, probably price, probably availability tradeoff in buying a winter specific tent. If you plan on mostly summer (as most would) then is this tradeoff worth it (or needed)?

Would a bivy bag (or that wind resistant s/bag shell with the $ (and weight) saved) be a more versatile/better option? How do you plan on using it, where do you walk (move on each day/base camp/tent bound?, all considerations)

Will be interesting to see the new macpac offerings thou :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 10:56 am

Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NeedBetterAlias » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:02 am

Hi again - have narrowed choices down to Hubba Hubba HP (apparently it is fully encloseable inside) and Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT; does anyone have any opinions on the HIllberg Nallo GT?

Also, would be interested to hear thoughts re: tunnel vs dome tents for Tassie wind conditions? Have always gone with dome tents but Hilleberg Nallo GT is tunnel and very enticing; have read in a few places though that tunnel tents pointed in the wrong way re: wind direction can be a problem??

Thanks!
Cheers
Paula
NeedBetterAlias
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:35 am

Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:39 am

On the tunnel vs dome point - when walking the OT a few years back we set up our rented tunnel tent on the decking at Pelion gap on what turned out to be an extremely windy night. We couldn't use pegs so had to use guy ropes and string to secure the peg points to rocks and decking etc. It stood up fine (though the fly flapping in the wind made for a very noisy night!). OTOH, I've used my three-pole semi-geodesic tent in some very windy conditions with no problems and often minimal attention to pitching; often with only two of the four guy ropes pegged out (and even then, only to minimise condensation issues due to contact between the fly and inner). I suspect that it would actually be fine with just the minimum four peg points and no guys in all but the most extreme conditions.

At the end of the day, my take is that either design should be ok provided it has an adequate number of poles and attachment points and is set up correctly, but the semi-geodesic or dome designs would be more tolerant of less-than-perfect pitching in windy conditions.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 1:08 pm

NeedBetterAlias wrote:Hi again - have narrowed choices down to Hubba Hubba HP (apparently it is fully encloseable inside) and Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT; does anyone have any opinions on the HIllberg Nallo GT?

Also, would be interested to hear thoughts re: tunnel vs dome tents for Tassie wind conditions? Have always gone with dome tents but Hilleberg Nallo GT is tunnel and very enticing; have read in a few places though that tunnel tents pointed in the wrong way re: wind direction can be a problem??

Thanks!
Cheers
Paula

Similar questions have come up before.... Not so interesting as definitive answers are the questions and thoughts for you....
There is a big price jump into hilleberg?, the Nallo has the one entrance?...Inside- how big are the people using it? (I would personally go for a Nallo3 before a 2 GT)

If you have the money to spent then the freestanding tent Brett mentioned would be more convenient still (though heavier)... The Nallos are a similar (lighter) experience to your macpac (though perhaps their new offerings?)

I seem to recall mentioning somewhere an experience we had with an old A frame tent as compared to a tunnel design (same place, same (very strong) winds and rain) The difference was that we had to get up and re-stake the A-frame and the bag ends got damp.... The tunnel tents were ok but laid flat with the wind all through the night. Both tents survived, we survived, the difference was that the A-frame cost perhaps $700 less.... It is all relative.....

The tents you mention are both strong enough, as suggested, the dome tents are more 'forgiving' in varying winds though IMO they do need to be built heavier and stronger to still be useable following winds that a tunnel tent would survive (especially pitched correctly and into the wind) Then again, the dome tent would be more comfortable up to a point..... (ie. you wouldn't be subject to the 'buritto' effect (until a pole snapped).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NeedBetterAlias » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback, really appreciated. Noticed in another thread Brett that you'd purchased an Atko, am thinking now one of those AND a Hubba Hubba HP or Nallo GT (weight is an issue, am fairly small). Sounds like you're happy with the Atko? Did you purchase the inner mesh too, do you think its necessary in Tasmania i.e. is the Atko (and your other Hilleberg) ventilated enough in summer?
Cheers
Paula
NeedBetterAlias
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm

Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jellybean » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks for the additional comments. They’re appreciated!

Re ordering over the net’ – yep, I can vouch for the $1000 limit with Customs before duties etc. come into play (I checked before I ordering some skis on-line earlier this year and have bought some other gear). I’ve never had anything but good experiences ordering on-line from the US.

Hilleberg tents sound and look awesome, but not sure I want to spend the extra cash when there’s plenty of other well featured, cheaper tents (maybe if I could find more time to hike!!? ;o( ) (I run my own business and can’t get away as often as I’d like to).

A bivvy bag is definitely another, more versatile option – I did think about it briefly before turning my attention to a lighter 2 man. The lighter load, convenience and versatility are definitely pluses. My main concerns were using a bivvy in really foul weather (it’s nice to have somewhere dry and relatively spacious to retreat to and keep your gear dry), condensation build up and claustrophobia. I like some space to chill out in at the end of a long day. Do you use a bivvy? With a tarp? If so, any recc’s re bivvy bags? (I’ve heard the OR Advanced bivvy is a good option?).

In terms of when/where/how I plan on using it:
• when - mostly spring/summer/autumn
• where – NSW (Blue Mountains), NZ, Tassie, SW WA (I’m also a West Aussie but based in Sydney at the mo), have also been to Nepal a couple of times and want to go back; also want to go to South America (one day!)
• how – combo – sometimes move on each day, sometimes base camp.

The Olympus is great for a lot of that, I'm just keen to lighten the load a little where needed. Have a bit of a knee problem (although I’m in my 40’s, my orthopod told me at my last lot of knee surgery that I had the knee of a 70 year old – my penance for a lifetime of vigorous activity; I’m just keen to get a few more years out of it and figured travelling a bit lighter may help a bit (not to mention making trips easier).

Thanks again.

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NeedBetterAlias » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:25 am

All really good stuff, thanks gentlemen. Might leave the mesh then and see how it goes. Greedily wanting 2 Hillebergs but may be best not to put all eggs in one basket; Atko and Hubba Hubba it is then..finally a decision...I think...kind of fallen in love with the vestibule on the Nallo..sigh:-)

JB, get the issue with knees..same in 40's too (early) and they're starting to play up; always dreaded the day. But still some life left in this ageing old gal yet! Which is why I'm kind of desperate to get out now after years of having to travel for work, before those knees completely give way....have sea kayak waiting in the wings for that day...gotta plan for these things:-) So you must have done plenty of the Bib in WA then?
Cheers
Paula
NeedBetterAlias
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:33 am

Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NeedBetterAlias » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 12:44 pm

Some really useful stuff there including, of course, blaming parents for knee issues; hadn't thought of that, thanks:-)
Have now decided between hearing from you and salivating at the Nallo GT, that I really must have that vestibule, it's just too hot; so Atko and Nallo GT..yay! Think it's done. As you say, a good tent is worth the investment; cheap accomodation in the end and crucial out there in the wilderness. Over 10 years, saving a couple of hundred $ on something inadequate isn't worth it. Decided to get the inner meshes too, they could be handy one of these days....inshallah.
Some good tips on weight shaving too thanks.
I'm generally a 'solo' traveller, or like my own 'space', so to have a non-claustrophobic one man and a 2 man for those times that need to have something more palatial, would be fine; if anyone else is going to share the 2 man, well...cosiness would probably be the order of the day anyway :wink:
Weight is really a thing for me, especially at the moment being so 'pack unfit' and I'm not particularly big or tall.
Also in the market for a down bag and have started the confusing research on this; noticed you're a fan of Western Mountaineering. Which one do you have?
Cheers
Paula
NeedBetterAlias
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby photohiker » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 1:26 pm

Oh yea. For Sleeping bag info, have a look at the BWT wiki article Sleeping Bag Selection It's a great resource (guess who wrote most of it) :) and has tables comparing most of the bags mentioned here and all the relevant info on down and fill weights and temperature ratings etc.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 2:02 pm

Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 5:26 pm

Paula,
If the thought of down collected from Live Adult Geese(nests) appeals check out the Tundra Pure and Dry series they have some of the highest loft of any bag and are amongst the lightest in this range,not cheap but well worth the outlay :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Next

Return to Equipment