Mt. Pieter Botte

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt. Pieter Botte

Postby roy83 » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi,

the last time I have been to Cape Tribulation a local told me about hiking from there to Mt. Pieter Botte. I am thinking of coming back to Cape Trib at some stage and try this walk with a group of friends. Unfortunately information about the area are hard to find on the internet. I am aware that there won't be a maintained track...

From Cape Trib there is a track up Mt. Sorrow Ridge and I assume that if one keeps walking westwards from there, crossing two creeks, one will eventually reach Mt. Pieter Botte. On the way back it could be worth trying to follow a nearby creek southwards until reaching another creek that will lead back eastwards to Noah beach, from where it's only a few km along the road back to Cape Trib. In total it would be 35km and I think one should at least calculate 7 days (maybe even 10) depending on density of vegetation.

Is there anyone around who has tried this or another route to Mt Pieter Botte? Do you think the vegetation will be denser further up than around Mt Sorrow Ridge walking track? On most walks so far I have slept in a tiny one-person-tent, but I have read that in tropical rainforest they recommend a hammock - what's your experience? Also, is minimal impact camping illegal outside official campsites in QLD national parks?

Thanks for helping.

Cheers,
Roy
roy83
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Mt. Pieter Botte

Postby Skid » Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi Roy,
I haven't done this walk so I can't comment on the specifics of the route, though I have done a fair few long trips in north Queensland and use a hammock as my default shelter/bed.
I use a slightly modified Hennessey hammock and the Hennessey hex fly (this is larger the the standard fly and gives peace of mind in storms/downpours). Ever in north Queensland I use a bit of thermal insulation (cheap closed cell foam mat) to sleep on in the hammock.
I'd suggest taking something to deal with lawyer cane (wait-a-while) as you will encounter it in this area. Either a good pair of secatuers or a machette will come in handy.
Also, (and I add this because I'm not sure of your experiance) make sure you know what a stinging tree looks like; It's best not to touch them.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
David
Skid
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby johnnymacfnq » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 7:19 pm

There is or was a roughly flagged route from Mt Sorrow to the summit of Mt Pieter Botte. Haven't beenbthere myself but will be looking to scout it out hopefully in the next month as I'd like to do it as well. As for bush bashing down to Noah beach... You may need a bulldozer.
johnnymacfnq
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Cycad » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Roy. I did the walk up Mt Sorrow and then on to Pieter Botte. The track was marked with ribbon and not difficult to follow. Unfortunately that was about 15 years ago so I'm not sure what it would be like. I do know that some members of th Cairns Bushwalking club went in there last year so it could be worth contacting them. Not sure about trying to come out at Noah's Beach - it would be pretty difficult I think.
Good Luck though
Cycad
Cycad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby juxtaposer » Sun 04 Oct, 2015 5:44 pm

Did this walk in 1987, approaching by way of the Mt. Sorrow Knife Edge. There were some tapes on the trees as far as the upper Roaring Meg, but it was a waste of time trying to follow them. Packs can be left at the creek and the summit bagged as a side trip, although the last 20 metres is a rock climb. Campsites are hard to find; we settled for a bad granite overhang the first night. Avoid the worst of the wait-a-while by keeping out of gullies. Instead of going back the way we came, we struck north along the Coastal Range for a couple of miles till we got to the old trig station of Mt. Halcyon. From there it was all the way down to the coast to the back of Emmagen Creek or thereabouts. A good three day circuit. Soap up ankles and forearms when you get to leech level (if forest is wet). Have a great trip.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Queensland