Hiking in USA in January

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Hiking in USA in January

Postby Watertank » Wed 21 Oct, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi
I'm heading to Texas in January and may be able to fit in some hiking around my commitments. I don't want to go snow hiking but otherwise does anyone have suggestions for great hikes, perhaps including some overnight hikes in the USA ( they don't have to be in Texas) in January?
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking in USA in January

Postby wayno » Thu 22 Oct, 2015 4:42 am

well theres snow hiking and cold weather hiking, how prepared are you to hike in the cold? if not you're going to be limited to the southern states preferably close to the coast
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Watertank » Thu 22 Oct, 2015 6:55 am

Wayno, Cold weather hiking is fine - I just don't have any experience of snow hiking
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 22 Oct, 2015 8:39 am

Be aware that some of the US NPs in the South-West have a booking/lottery system for interested hikers. Winter is the best time to visit those high desert areas of the South-West. As for suggested locations, I'd say Arizona is my preferred place to start and work out, all the way to southern California.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby paradza » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 5:23 pm

I went to Utah Escalante. Specifically did the Buck skin gulch Paria Canyon. That was late Nov. The advice i had from hiking folk in the US is stay low.
I have blog. Take a look. People do it in Jan.

Buckskin Gulch & Paria Canyon http://paradzamusing.blogspot.com/2014/ ... anyon.html
paradza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Watertank » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks for the replies - I am wondering about a couple of day hike down from the south rim of the Grand Canyon - that seems doable in Winter provided I have some microspikes
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 12:37 pm

That part of SW will be subjected to the occasional snow storm. Take a chance and be rewarded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Turfa » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 1:01 pm

Watertank wrote:Thanks for the replies - I am wondering about a couple of day hike down from the south rim of the Grand Canyon - that seems doable in Winter provided I have some microspikes

That would be a great trip. The Grand Canyon is an awe inspiring sight the first time you see it ! The South Kaibab Trail is a good winter option as it gets good sun & ice melts relatively quickly, but yes, you do need to be prepared for some icy trail for the first few miles until you get lower in the canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/u ... _Trail.pdf
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Hallu » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 12:50 am

In Texas you have the Guadalupe mountains, why not hike there ? Further South you have the Big Bend NP at the border with Mexico. Both are desert parks and should be ok in winter. Further West, around Tucson, you have Saguaro NP. Very nice for hiking too, the vegetation is outstanding. Some overnight hikes possible there. Careful with Tucson, it's one seriously ugly town. Further North, I reckon it'd be fine to hike in Petrified Forest NP in winter. But it's remote hiking, no tracks there except for day walks. If you want to winter hike in Utah, it should be possible in Zion which is low elevation. Probably not in Bryce Canyon or Arches unless you got snow shoes.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Watertank » Wed 23 Dec, 2015 6:24 am

I've decided to do some hiking in and around the Grand Canyon including an overnight hike down into the Canyon from the South Rim. I'm looking forward to exploring new territory for me.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 23 Dec, 2015 8:58 am

Brilliant. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Turfa » Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:52 am

GPSGuided wrote:Brilliant. Have a great trip!

Yep,... and please share some photos when you get back ! :D
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby ribuck » Thu 07 Jan, 2016 3:29 am

Watertank wrote:I've decided to do some hiking in and around the Grand Canyon including an overnight hike down into the Canyon from the South Rim. I'm looking forward to exploring new territory for me.

Overnight camping numbers are limited. When my wife and I did an overnighter there, we couldn't get a permit to camp at the bottom, so we went down from the south rim and part way up the other side to an approved wild camping zone. It was a fabulous spot to spend the night.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Watertank » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 8:27 am

Hi folks
Some fabulous walking in the Grand Canyon. I managed to arrive as a winter snow storm hit the area. I was glad I had hired a four wheel drive to get me to the South Rim. My previous plan to hike down the South Kaibab trail was changed a) because Parks said the storm would make the exposed hike risky and b) the road to the trail head was closed! So I went down and back up the Bright Angel trail. Lots of snow for the first hour or two. I had been thinking about wearing trail shoes (discussed on a post in the equipment section) but I was pleased to have succumbed to safety and comfort considerations. It was mighty cold - down to -12 or so before I left. But the snow doesn't make it to the bottom of the canyon. I stayed a night in a dorm at Phantom Ranch at the bottom. It wasn't what I would describe as a hard walk but five hours of continuous down hill hiking played havoc with my knees. But an overnight rest helped. Here are a couple of photos as requested.
WT
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 7:32 pm

Nice. That looks brilliant in the snow.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Hallu » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 11:19 pm

Yes, we're gonna need a lot more photos than those 2 I'm afraid =) I'm surprised and glad they don't close the tracks in winter. But when it's really cold and the snow is hard and slippery, I'm assuming crampons and/or ice axes become necessary. I've done it in late spring, some parts are quite narrow or exposed.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 17 Jan, 2016 8:21 am

Great! So, how was the walk back up? I always felt that was the more stressful part. Back then, went 1/5 way down in 100 deg weather. Just mad!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to International