S2S Insulated Sleeping Mats ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: S2S Insulated Sleeping Mats ?

Postby Chris-Toms Outdoors » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 7:00 am

I've been using various insulated matts for about 8years. I will never go back to an uninsulated matt (unless for the tropics), most of my hiking and camping is in the Snowy's or the UK. I personally find that I get a much better nights sleep and I am able to use a lighter sleeping bag due to being insulated from the ground.
http://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au Family owned outdoors store selling quality clothing and equipment. Located in Tumut NSW.
Chris-Toms Outdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tomsoutdoors.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Postby Tintin » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 2:26 pm

Mark F wrote:Once temperatures start to drop below 10 degrees or camping on moist/wet ground you really need better insulation than R 0.7. Generally R2.5 is considered adequate to around 5 degrees, with a warm bag then closer to 0.

Chris-Toms Outdoors wrote:I've been using various insulated matts for about 8years. I will never go back to an uninsulated matt (unless for the tropics), most of my hiking and camping is in the Snowy's or the UK. I personally find that I get a much better nights sleep and I am able to use a lighter sleeping bag due to being insulated from the ground.

Thanks guys. I think I will go for the insulated version. Cheers!
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby paul_gee » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 8:18 am

Tintin wrote:
Mark F wrote:Once temperatures start to drop below 10 degrees or camping on moist/wet ground you really need better insulation than R 0.7. Generally R2.5 is considered adequate to around 5 degrees, with a warm bag then closer to 0.

Chris-Toms Outdoors wrote:I've been using various insulated matts for about 8years. I will never go back to an uninsulated matt (unless for the tropics), most of my hiking and camping is in the Snowy's or the UK. I personally find that I get a much better nights sleep and I am able to use a lighter sleeping bag due to being insulated from the ground.

Thanks guys. I think I will go for the insulated version. Cheers!

Do let me know if you need any help with purchasing one. Pretty sure our prices are the lowest in Australia. ;)
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby kitty » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 9:11 am

Actually Wildearth are cheaper (no affiliation).
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paul_gee » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 10:55 am

kitty wrote:Actually Wildearth are cheaper (no affiliation).

Oh, right you are. We tend to keep on top of each other. They've obviously just made their move. ;)
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tintin » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 5:20 pm

paul_gee wrote:

Oh, right you are. We tend to keep on top of each other. They've obviously just made their move. ;)

Indeed. WildEarth's eBay store is having a small sale and they're selling the long ultralight insulated mat for $146.74. Can you better that?
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paul_gee » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 7:50 am

Tintin wrote:
paul_gee wrote:

Indeed. WildEarth's eBay store is having a small sale and they're selling the long ultralight insulated mat for $146.74. Can you better that?

Seems the sale is over, Tintin. :)
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 6:18 pm

Tintin wrote:

You can always try in store - I ended up buying from Paddy Palin and they came within 10% of the online sales price.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tintin » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 10:24 pm

paul_gee wrote:

Ha I know ;) I was indecisively watching the sale timer tick down on ebay before deciding not to purchase it. Today Ananconda have a 25% store wide sale on full price items, meaning the mat is $142.46. However I think I will hold off and try my luck at the Boxing Day sales.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Chris-Toms Outdoors » Wed 16 Dec, 2015 5:22 am

Tintin wrote:
paul_gee wrote:

Ha I know ;) I was indecisively watching the sale timer tick down on ebay before deciding not to purchase it. Today Ananconda have a 25% store wide sale on full price items, meaning the mat is $142.46. However I think I will hold off and try my luck at the Boxing Day sales.

Somewhere someone always has a sale on. When I was starting up my store I decided to offer a price match. It's almost impossible to keep track of everyone online and what prices they are selling for (in fact it would be a nightmare). The big players have the staff and there's now the tend of offering 'flash' sales etc. Good luck picking up a matt in the Boxing Days sales. I'm not even open on Boxing day, being a small country town the whole town will be shut and I'm going to have a nice weekend off.
http://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au Family owned outdoors store selling quality clothing and equipment. Located in Tumut NSW.
Chris-Toms Outdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tomsoutdoors.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Postby paul_gee » Wed 16 Dec, 2015 7:44 am

Tintin wrote:Ha I know I was indecisively watching the sale timer tick down on ebay before deciding not to purchase it. Today Ananconda have a 25% store wide sale on full price items, meaning the mat is $142.46. However I think I will hold off and try my luck at the Boxing Day sales.

I had no idea Anaconda stocked Sea to Summit mats. Learn something new everyday. Good luck with the boxing day sales. ;)
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Alittleruff » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 2:40 pm

Mountain Designs now seem to have the S2S mats at a low price.
Always the way, right after I've brought something, I see the same thing for cheaper else where.
Alittleruff
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Tintin » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 9:29 pm

Alittleruff wrote:Mountain Designs now seem to have the S2S mats at a low price.
Always the way, right after I've brought something, I see the same thing for cheaper else where.

The worst feeling... I just bought some hiking boots which were $65 cheaper than retail price, to have Mountain Designs selling it for a further $15 off :( Ah well, thats typical with this stuff. Best thing to do is buy your product and not look anywhere for it lol

The S2S mat I was after is now $140. I wonder how low it will go!
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby warnesy » Sun 20 Dec, 2015 4:04 pm

Just got my ultralight insulated one. All this talk was making me want one. $113 after Anaconda beat the mountain design price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby paul_gee » Mon 21 Dec, 2015 8:13 am

warnesy wrote:Just got my ultralight insulated one. All this talk was making me want one. $113 after Anaconda beat the mountain design price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice work! Let us know how it goes! :D
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment