Feedback on EBC/ Three Pass itinerary with teenagers

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Feedback on EBC/ Three Pass itinerary with teenagers

Postby Adricat » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi looking for some feedback on our planned EBC/ Three Pass/ Goyko trek this Sept/ October.

I’m travelling with a just turned (m) 14 yr old and a strong and capable (f) 15 yr old and will most likely employ a porter/ guide to help a little with their load. I will also do my best to ensure they are as fit as possible. Not really relevant, but I also did the AC around 20+ years ago.

I would apprecitate any feedback on the below itinerary, esp given the kids ages and my desire to not push them to hard. I can prolly aford to squeexe in an extra day to shorten any punishing days if really needed.
Also feedback re going up via Phortse (and staying a night there), rather than to Tengboche, Pangboche then Dingboche

Day 1 Fly to Lukla and trek to Jorsale. (Trying to push to Jorsale to make a shorter trek to Namche)
Day 2 Jorsale to Namche.
Day 3 Acclimatization day in Namche. Everest View Hotel, Khunde and Khumjung.
Day 4 Namche to Phortse
Day 5 Phortse to Pangboche (shorter day?)
Day 6 Pangboche to AD base camp and return to Pangboche
Day 7 Pangboche to Dingboche (shorter day?) Maybe even add a complete rest day in Dingboche?
Day 8 Dingboche to Chukhung also up to Island Peak BC
Day 9 Chukhung Ri day trip
Day 10 Chukhung to Lobuche via Konga La
Day 11 Lobuche to Gorak Shep/ Kala Pattha for sunset
Day 12 Gorak Shep to EBC to Lobuche
Day 13 Lobuche to Dzongla
Day 14 Dzongla to Goyko via Cho La
Day 15 Gokyo Ri
Day 16 Goyko Lakes
Day 17 Goyko to Lumde (or Marlung??) via Renjo La
Day 18 Lumde to Namche
Day 19 Namche to Lukla
Day 20 Lukla to KTM

Thanks for your guidance
Adricat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Feedback on EBC/ Three Pass itinerary with teenagers

Postby Hisham » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 4:24 pm

Always wise to have some buffer days between lukla and an international departure from ktm unless you have financial or insurance capacity to workaround any delays.

There's enough on your itinerary to slow down if altitude or other reason makes you slow down, so it's not bad if you're prepared to leave something out and take a day off.
Hisham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby RonK » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 4:37 pm

That looks an ambitious itinerary - particularly for children. We have always taken three days between Lukla and Namche.

I'm not sure if Phortse to Pangboche is shorter, but it is a high and very rough trail. I wouldn't go that way.

I'm assuming you intend days 6 and 9 as acclimatisation days. On previous itineraries we've had acclimatisation days at Namche as you planned, then at Deboche with a vist to Tengboche Monastery, and also at Dingboche, but continuing to Chukung is not too much further and might work. Namche to Tenboche is probably the hardest day so you'll need the day at Deboche. Pangboche probably a bit too far. Some of your planned side trips look a bit ambitious for children I think.

Lobuche to Gorak Shep and EBC is very tiring - up and down the glacial moraines. Kala Pattar is 5500m and it's a very slow plod up from Gorak Shep.

Carry Diamox and note the location of the high altitude medicine clinic at Periche - you may need it.

Also you need some contingency days in case the Lukla airport is closed by the weather, as it often is at that time of year. And remember that if your flight is cancelled you go to the back of the queue and it can take several days to get a flight out.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby johnrs » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi Adricat
Sorry but your itinerary is too fast
Everyone will suffer and the whole itinerary may slide away.
More time slow and low from the start,
At least another three days are suggested.
The young and fit are more prone to altitude sickness than their plodding parents.
John
johnrs

Postby Violet_Femme » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 9:12 pm

Hisham wrote:Always wise to have some buffer days between lukla and an international departure from ktm unless you have financial or insurance capacity to workaround any delays.

There's enough on your itinerary to slow down if altitude or other reason makes you slow down, so it's not bad if you're prepared to leave something out and take a day off.

Agreed with this- I was in this area start of June last year and many people had issues getting out of Lukla, not because it was busy but the planes just would not arrive or take off. I didn't plan on taking the plane, but I met others who had to walk Phaplu with me to catch a bus back to KTM.

It will be an amazing trip whatever you plan to do!
Violet_Femme
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby greg » Thu 04 May, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi there. Just returned from exactly the same trip done in March of this year. Your itinerary is ambitious but doable but with young teenagers in tow I think you may be biting of a bit too much for their ages and perhaps your own sanity. It's a tough trip both physically and mentally being above 4000m for an extended period of time. Maybe EBC with side trip to Ama Dablam or just the trip to Gokyo Lakes would be more manageable. Also that time of year may have heavy snow on the passes and trails after the monsoon season so check your timing. We are two nearly 60 year old blokes with a fair amount of trekking experience and with the right gear, attitude and a bit of luck you'll have a great time.

After extensive research we chose a Kathmandu based trekking company which provided a guide with porter (you may need two porters) and an all inclusive package from the time of arrival in Kathmandu to departure at a very competitive price. You can PM me for details and more in depth info as your itinerary could be tweaked a bit. Happy days :D
greg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby msrj » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi Adricat,

I did a version of your proposed hike last Sept/October with two of my teenager daughters (15F & 16F), we did EBC, Cho La pass and Goyko. I think your hike looks amazing, but knowing what I know now I think it is a little ambitious.

I hired a guide and two porters which worked really well. I had done a lot of research before and new which company I wanted to use. I didn't pay any money until I had met the guide in person in Kathmandu to ensure I was happy with him. The key to our success was flexibility in the schedule, we stopped when the girls needed some time out to chill. As mentioned by another poster, it is a physically and mentally demanding hike, there were lots of tears and "I can't do this" type phrases, but now 8 months post hike they cannot wait to go back.

We had acclimatisation days in Namche, Dingboche, we also took Diamox from Namche onwards. Given the time of year you're going is the tail end of the wet season, there is a good chance the planes will be delayed out of Kathmandu. We were meant to arrive on the first flight but infact didn't get to Lukla till midday so Phakding was just far enough to walk to. If we had to go as far as Jorsdale we would of been walking in the dark.

Make sure you take some good broadspectrum antibiotics for chest aliments.

Just a side note, my girls still cannot look at anything made with potato :lol: :lol:

Regards,
MSRJ
msrj
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to International