One Planet "Cocoon" sleeping bags?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One Planet "Cocoon" sleeping bags?

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 8:36 am

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/sl ... wn/cocoon/

Does any-one on the forum own or has anybody ever used one?
They are big bags and at the affordable end of the scale when compared to the winter bags from Western Mountaineering.
I am looking at big bags specifically because I would be using a down parka and a half bag to supplement the rating in a Canadian / Arctic winter
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: One Planet "Cocoon" sleeping bags?

Postby gbagua » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:10 am

No, I haven't. I have a Vango
Viper 750+ (blind purchase) and happy as!

However in your particular case here's a thread about the bag you are interested in:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=25558
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:20 am

I'm familiar with the Bungle by sight, but the Cocoon is a very diffent bag from looking at the website
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:47 pm

I nearly bought the Cocoon a few years ago, but opted for the Zephyr instead. The Zephyr (no longer available?) was similar to the Cocoon (same fabric, down, etc), but tapered-rectangle rather than mummy-shaped, and zips fully open, instead of a half length zip. (I don't like being constricted in a mummy bag, and like to be able to open it out to a quilt on warmer nights, or to stick my feet out the end when they're hot).

It's certainly not as warm as the old J&H Winterlite I used to use, but that was excessively hot even in mid-winter. The Zephyr has been fine in mid-winter Tasmania, requiring me to wear some clothing only on the very coldest nights, and is not excessively hot on milder nights.

(NB: Looks like the Cocoon now has a nearly full-length zip.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 1:32 pm

I would prefer the half zip as in the old Rockledge but I guess most people prefer to be able to ventilate
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 8:33 am

I have owned one of the early Cocoons but I it looks like the current model has undergone some revision and improvement.

If you haven't looked at a later production Bungle I think you will find that the Bungle has also undergone some changes/improvements and is quite different from the Bungle of a few years ago.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 9:44 am

One of the reasons I am looking at the Cocoon is that it is available in a Large size, enough internal room to use a big down parka and decent half bag. In real terms there isn't much difference on paper between the Cocoon and the WM Kodiak I was contemplating buying for Alaska and Canada but way way cheaper
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doates » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 2:39 pm

I have the -5 version of the cocoon, which I picked up in March. A mate I hike with also has the same bag, which he bought about a year before me. Mine weighs in at 738g in 800 loft and I paid $422. So far I've only got three nights in it, walking in kosi national park during April. Overnight temps were down close to zero, and I slept comfortable in full thermals and wearing my nanopuff inside the bag. My mate was wearing full thermals, though no insulated jacket and was also warm enough. I would say the bag is pretty well spot on to the rating, though I think I would be on the colder side sleeping at the lower limit of -5. It compresses down to a decent size. I did get droplets of condensation on the bag in my copper spur, though my mate didn't. He did get condensation on the bag when we walked the overland track though.

I didn't like the hood as much as the macpac ember that this bag is replacing. The ember had separate adjustment draw strings for the neck and hood, where as the cocoon only has the one drawstring. It did grow on me after a cple of nights though, and the elastic in the hood makes it easy to flick it off the head, or easy to have a small pillow inside the hood. There is handy, small zippered pocket on the chest, inside the bag which I used it to store eyedrops to prevent them from freezing. I had no issues with snagging material on the zipper.

To me, the bag is on the bigger side for a mummy, in comparison to the one it replaced. You can easily where a down or synthetic insulated jacket inside it. I'd actually prefer if the bag was a little smaller.

It's a pretty decent value proposition.

Cheers
doates
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 3:12 pm

Did you get the Regular size or the Large??
For the small extra cost and weight I would be definitely getting the -11C version; perhaps even paying to have 100 grams [ 10%] of overfill for where I would be using it
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 4:09 pm

This can be a dilemma, do you spend money rejuvenating an older bag or take that money and invest it in part payment on something new.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doates » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 6:29 pm

I got the regular size, and it's well big enough for me. My macpac ember was noticeably tighter, though I could still fit an insulated jacket on inside of it.

Certainly a lot cheaper than the WM, (though I'd wouldn't mind owning one of those).
doates
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby roysta » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 6:31 pm

Moondog55 wrote:This can be a dilemma, do you spend money rejuvenating an older bag or take that money and invest it in part payment on something new.
The Cocoons are a good bag (I have an earlier one) and the fact that OP will add fill to order is a big plus.
But I also have a couple of WM bags and being Canada/US I'd be leaning towards that Kodiak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Postby stry » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 8:34 am

Moondog55 wrote:Did you get the Regular size or the Large??
For the small extra cost and weight I would be definitely getting the -11C version; perhaps even paying to have 100 grams [ 10%] of overfill for where I would be using it

I wouldn't presume that overfill will necessarily be good. Too much fill can reduce the drape of the bag, and the degree to which it settles around the occupant's body, creating air spaces. This can mean that the benefit of the extra fill is lost.

WM overfill looks to be of very modest amounts, but those amounts work very well, with no loss of drape.

OTH, many years ago, I asked for the maximum recommended overfill in an OP bag, a first model Cocoon IIRC, and encountered the situation that I described above. A smaller amount of additional fill would have given a better outcome.

Probably best to handle and examine (maybe get into) any bag that one is contemplating ordering with extra fill. Then decide what you want.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 9:02 am

That is good advice, OP already said that the maximum they would overstuff the -11 rated bag is 10% or 100 grams to take the fill to 1175 grams of 800+ FP
Standing off isn't a bad thing tho in a double bag situation, then the clothing you are wearing is doing all the space filling
Go back a zillion years and look at old cattle dogs and 2 pounds of down was the recomendation for a winter bag and 3 pounds for snow, 11grams of 800+ is equal to 3 pounds of 550
Which brings back memories of my old Kimptons Arctic with 3 pounds of down and it must have weight at least 8 pounds in the green japara shell and rubberised stuff sack
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 11:24 am

That's 10% of gross bag weight isn't it ? Isn't 1175 gross bag weight, rather than fill weight ?

A bit hard to tell now as I can no longer find the excellent sleeping bag specification chart that used to be on OPs web site. Maybe addressing the foibles of the anal minority (us :D )wasn't a priority in the site upgrade.

Or maybe I just missed it :(
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 11:54 am

it's there now I am sure, just now specific to each model and not the old chart comparing all the different bags. Speaking to the shop that is what the feller said, 10% or +100 grams. Perhaps that is because +100 grams is what they add when rejuvenating.
My mistake there definitely; it would take total bag weight to 1175 grams if I had 100g of down added
There is 305 grams differential between the 3C bag and the -4C using the female comfort rating, extrapolating at 0.022C per gram of fill adding 100g should boost the female comfort rating to -6.6C // male to -14C
Not a big difference compared to my Ultra but in a package that allows more layering inside it and I guess having a zipper does allow venting if the weather is milder than anticipated
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbagua » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 10:05 am

No worries! Just make sure you cover that bag with a nice bivy or else you might wake up like this:

https://schwingeninswitzerland.wordpres ... ice-storm/

:twisted:
gbagua

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 4:02 pm

That reminds me I need to replace the bottom on my big bivvy sack with some LW WPB
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Avatar » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 4:47 pm

stry wrote:That's 10% of gross bag weight isn't it ? Isn't 1175 gross bag weight, rather than fill weight ?

A bit hard to tell now as I can no longer find the excellent sleeping bag specification chart that used to be on OPs web site. Maybe addressing the foibles of the anal minority (us :D )wasn't a priority in the site upgrade.

Or maybe I just missed it :(

Try this link:
https://www.oneplanet.com.au/wp-content ... AR2016.pdf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 10:30 am

Buying one of these is predicated on selling my spare Ultra and the Everest duvet and that is looking less and less likely as time goes by
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 11:51 am

Nope
I can't do it
I just tried one on for size and I simply cannot stand the zipper position. I'm a side sleeper and the zip is in the wrong position no matter what I do
Depending on how much Dad left me I may just get a Nunatak custom bag, they are one of the few makers who are putting the zipper in the correct spot
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 27 Nov, 2017 4:15 pm

I think I am going to be eating my words.
OK I AM going to eat my words
I've just been back to the OP shop in Melbourne and tried the large Cocoon over my Ultra [ Previously I had merely tried a Regular on its own] and I think the extreme value offered by the Cocoon will mean buying a Large shell with an Expander Wedge
OP have no plans for a centre zipped bag soon if ever but for a once only trip the saving of close to a thousand dollars for one item of gear is a no-brainer
The "Spare" Ultra bag is actually the one decided on for use as the inner, when combining two bags the one with the lower FP down actually gave the most loft ( 320mm of Free loft) which makes sense as 800FP down is ethereal stuff.
Left the old Ultra bag in the shop for a rejuvenation, a wash, Nikwax DWR retreatment and a top-up with 150 grams of 700FP down
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 10:44 am

The quotation to over-fill a Large Cocoon just came in
Over-filled by 30% means 950 grams of 800FP down, $599-
Personally I think that is a very fair price.
No estimate of temperature will be given and they do not want to guess even and as I can't afford an EN test I will just have to see
A personal guesstimate is -18C for comfort tho
I can't fault the customer service, it has been nothing short of excellent
Also we are adding 100 grams of 700FP down to the heavier Ultra bag and for that service they only want $100-
I got multiple compliments on the condition of my bag too so I guess the few washes I have given it over the years have been done well
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 4:48 pm

Old thread, but wondering if you did end up getting a cocoon?

I have was in the Melb CBD yesterday, so hit up Little Bourke Street. Had some gaiters waiting for me that OP had exchanged sizing on, so a good reason to look at gear as they had just got 50 sleeping bags in for display.

Out of all the offerings, the Cocoon -11 was my pick. I was toying with just using what I have for Winter, but I liked the feel of the Cocoon short size, the weight and I know it will get me to zero and a bit below comfortably.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Equivocator » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 6:12 pm

I have a Cocoon -2.
2014 vintage. Very happy with it. It's warmer than what I normally need here, but I still have at least 250 nights in it and it's going strong.
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 8:49 pm

No I never got one because in the end I couldn't sell my Ultra.
Now I can't afford one unless I win the lottery
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Casparvitch » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 9:27 pm

I have a cocoon -8. Pretty happy with it, gets me below 0 with some extra clothing. Personally I like to be wrapped up tight so would prefer it a little less roomy! Definitely a large bag. As Moondog I would prefer a quarter/half zip. Aside from those niggles: good construction, nice fabric and good weight. Partner has the -11 and it's got a more deluxe loft to it, often makes me jealous :)
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 9:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I have had positive encounters with OP previously, so if I were going to drop some coin on a decent bag, would definitely lean toward spending with them.

Yes, I couldn't work out why the zip was as long as it was on a Winter bag. If I were lugging it around, it would be because it was colllld, so unlikely to want to stick my feet out!

-11 sounds overkill, but OP seem to use the lower comfort limit (for a standard male) in their ratings and being female, they reckoned it would be more like -2 to-4c for me which is about what I would want and supplement with clothes if need be. Seems like those of you with the bags would seem to say the bags are pretty accurately rated, I know it is meant to be a standard testing process but real world info still very helpful.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Casparvitch » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 9:50 pm

Note for winter use: it doesn't have a draft tube, so I always wear a buff to keep my neck warm (not a big deal). Also while I'm airing my grievances the down fill is 55 top/45 bottom which I find a little annoying. I'd rather more on top. All-in-all, would probably get it again.
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 11:02 pm

I am unsure how I feel about the fill ratios, but suspect it may be to my liking. I understand the down under me is compressed and therefore less useful, but I am mostly a side sleeper and change positions frequently overnight.

On my super warm (heavy) bag, am unsure of the ratio as it is an older bag. It always feels plenty warm.
I know my other lighter winter bag (Aegismax) is something like 70/30 split between top and bottom fill. I find my back gets cold when I have the hood on.
If it isn't cold enough to wear the hood, I can roll over inside the bag and it isn't an issue as the less lofty side stays mat side down. I can't also flip it to use upside down either...sounds weird but sometimes I like the hood on top of my face/neck as I side sleep. A more even fill could work in my favour there too perhaps.

The lack of draft tube seems funny on a winter bag, most other brands seem to have one. I wonder how much difference there is in not having one.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment