The price of the Lake St Clair ferry

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: The price of the Lake St Clair ferry

Postby Tortoise » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 9:16 pm

Mutley wrote:+1 on the walk. A final night at Echo Point is a great finish to a trip. Does need some tent platforms though. I would be happy to support a boycott of the ferry until the price is decreased.

Trouble is the tent-, pack- and gaiter-eating rats that live at Echo Point. :x There are new containers for food, and hanging points in the hut, but it still doesn't stop the rats chewing through very expensive gear. There doesn't need to be food in the tent for them to 'investigate' it.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 5:48 am

Camp on the beach or in the forest away from the hut.

Camp in the middle the track!! If anyone asks you to move just tell them as they cant provide a campsite where expensive gear wont be eaten or provide an affordable trip back down the lake on the boat there is no other option.

I passed a group recently at Narcissus who just spent the night at Echo. No food in their packs yet every single pack had holes chewed in them as did one of the sleeping bags.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 7:50 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:I passed a group recently at Narcissus who just spent the night at Echo. No food in their packs yet every single pack had holes chewed in them as did one of the sleeping bags.

That would be more than $50 of damage each. Worth the price of the ferry ticket?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 7:53 am

Maybe. But not the point. The ferry doesn't run at this time if year anyway....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby philm » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 8:58 am

Best to call them at Lake St Clair and confirm day and time. Even though ferries are scheduled if there is no one booked they don't run or charge a higher price for just a few people. I think the price set means that they want at least 4 people on the ferry to run it otherwise the costs per person increases!
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 3:28 pm

I think it's 6? 6x$50?

I like the ferry. Just not it's role in the spirit of re-imagining; what price can we get away with? / or from the other quarter; are they groomed for more commercial services on the lake yet?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 6:02 pm

philm wrote:Best to call them at Lake St Clair and confirm day and time. Even though ferries are scheduled if there is no one booked they don't run or charge a higher price for just a few people. I think the price set means that they want at least 4 people on the ferry to run it otherwise the costs per person increases!

In June, two of us had a 'definite' booking the day before. We got there to find that the boat was cancelled. Well, "not cancelled if you pay the $240" (so 6 people @ $40 at the moment). Turns out a commercial group forgot to tell them about a change of dates, which "never happens". So the other people booked on the 3pm boat with us, who were there early, were put onto the 1pm ferry. We were the only ones left for the 3pm one. So we walked and missed a mountain. Part of a lesson in resetting my priorities, but still... What made it worse was that the person who took the booking initially denied we ever made it. Then the manager (?) came and offered us a free drink, as we now had the cost of accommodation as well as no boat (none on the morrow either). Then he played silly games when we said we'd take him up on it, so it was apparently a joke. Not very professional.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:20 pm

It doesn't seem fair to need to pay extra if others cancel.
The 1pm ferry is probably the most reliable (if you can book places).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 8:36 pm

Good tip re the 1pm ferry, thanks, Nuts. Yep, it did seem pretty unfair, especially as it was a commercial group that was a no show.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 5:28 am

If the group changed a booking or cancelled they wouldn't need to pay. Expecting you to fork out the excess still seems poor form.
As I was reminded last year (on calling in when running a few minutes late), the huts company uses the 1pm ferry. Their group would be the most regular booking, most days over summer.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 9:40 am

Bus services run no matter how many passengers, as do train, plane, tram and other ferry services. The operators are a very poor excuse for a service provider.

Their 'interps' pamphlet on board the boat has incorrect information filled with images they have ripped off the net without attribution(mine are in there). I've been ripped off, had a booking not honoured in the same way as Tortoise, watched as a driver jumped off at Echo Point for a bong, seen hopeless driving, poor communication between staff, rudeness to passengers and had a few uneventful trips too, even a couple of very pleasant ones. The 'ferry' is a pretty rubbish vessel and is overdue for a refit/replacement. I could go on...

The fact that this incredible natural asset is serviced so poorly is an indictment on all who are involved in the tendering and awarding of contracts.

Just my 2c ;)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:36 pm

Nuts wrote:If the group changed a booking or cancelled they wouldn't need to pay.

They didn't change the booking, and they didn't cancel. They just didn't turn up. Somebody forgot to let the ferry people know they changed that walk. I think it may have been the 1pm ferry they didn't turn up for. Then when the other 3pm people were there early enough, they got bumped forward to the 1pm boat, leaving my friend and me holding the proverbial baby.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby farefam » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 2:29 pm

Echo Point has an excellent toilet, but I'd agree it is best not to stay in the hut. Instead camp well away from it due to the damage from the desperate appetite of the voracious critters that haunt it during the wee hours.

I think the current ferry price is (just) acceptable given the hidden costs in a remote location. If I need the time-saving convenience I pay for it; otherwise I walk around the lake and enjoy the beautiful forest along the way. As a "transport only" service I feel the frequency is acceptable, but if I was a first time tourist hoping for some insight into the area I would be rather disappointed in the commentary you get on the boat. Overall the experience seems no better than that provided by the previous operator.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 25 Jul, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm happy for the only service on the lake to be a transport provider. There have been tours, they may even still be offered, but they aren't necessary.
Iv'e been asked a few times abt canoeing. There was once a fleet of canoes. Not necessary, not suitable for everyone, but a more appropriate expansion.
(than more power boats/float planes etc)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain