Car Access

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

Car Access

Postby rhodri » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi,

A group of us are looking to do the six foot track hike over the course of 2 days at the end of the month.

We have to spend the night in Katoomba as we have plans and accommodation already sorted, meaning that we'd be splitting the walk in two.

My question is, is there a spot (somewhere roughly half way on the walk) that we could have a car pick us up? Alum Creek Camping Ground looks central, but would a regular 2wd car be able to access it? If not, are there companies in the Blue Mountains that provide a sort of 4wd taxi service?

Thanks in advance,

Rhodri
rhodri
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Car Access

Postby Xplora » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 6:46 am

Did you read this thread? It should answer the first part of your question.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=27492

As to a 4wd taxi. I doubt there is such a thing but it would not be cheap. There are a number of 4wd tour companies which have to be licenced to carry public passengers. You can google them.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby rhodri » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 9:49 am

Hi Xplora,

Thank you for your response.

I did read the thread but unfortunately it mostly gives some good information about the Old Fort and Black Range campgrounds, both of which seem to be at either end of the track, giving a slightly imbalanced hike over two days.

I should have asked specifically for Alum Creek.

Any information would be great.

Cheers,
rhodri
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 6:25 am

You would have the same problem getting to Allum creek in a 2wd. Not saying it cannot be done but traction could be an issue in the wet. Not that it rains much there anyway. Hard to know what the road condition is like as I have not been over it for some time. It is a great introductory walk and I have taken many first timers on it (usually a 2 nighter). It has some history and some good parts but most people consider it a little boring once they have moved on to better walks. Running it was fun for a bit and then running it there and back in a day was probably enough for me. I would not want to talk you out of doing it but the plan may have some problems if the Katoomba thing is required in the middle.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 9:53 pm

If you can accept not completing all of the Six Foot Track, it becomes easy to organize, and perhaps more interesting.

On the first day, walk from Katoomba to the Old Ford Reserve, then return to Katoomba via the Devils Hole track. On the second day, start at the Old Ford Reserve, then walk to Coxs River and return. Leave the Jenolan half for another time.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby rhodri » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 9:40 am

Hi Xplora and Ribuck,

Thank you both for your advice. It has certainly given me food for thought which I'll feed back to the rest of the group.

Cheers,
rhodri
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 12:26 pm

Has Uber entered this market yet? :roll:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:03 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Has Uber entered this market yet? :roll:

Uber 4WD would be really handy for some of these trips. Nowadays I have trouble convincing taxi drivers to go anywhere on a dirt road, even one that is "obviously" suitable for 2WD.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:20 pm

ribuck wrote:Uber 4WD would be really handy for some of these trips. Nowadays I have trouble convincing taxi drivers to go anywhere on a dirt road, even one that is "obviously" suitable for 2WD.

Uber could be quite good for the locals to earn a few quick bucks if anyone catches on. Not sure if they can say no to long out of area ride requests though.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:38 am

Also, 4WD Uber would be good for the outward journey, but if there's no mobile coverage at the end of the walk you won't be able to hire an Uber for the return trip, unless 4WD Uber will respond to a text message from an InReach device.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jackattack » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 11:00 am

Hi

You can get to the Coxs River campground with a 2wd car but I do not recommend it. I know because I have done it. Not sure re Alumm Creek. I suspect not.

Jack
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Shtaylor » Sun 09 Dec, 2018 11:39 am

jackattack wrote:Hi

You can get to the Coxs River campground with a 2wd car but I do not recommend it. I know because I have done it. Not sure re Alumm Creek. I suspect not.

Jack

Hi Jack,

I was hoping to go camping there with the kids, but I didn't think it could be accessed by vehicle. I do have a 4wd.
Do you have a map showing the route? I don't trust Google.
Is access via any private roads? Do I need to arrange access in advance?.

Thanks,
Shawn
Attachments
Screenshot_20181209-122937_Maps.jpg
Map of Cox's River Campground
Shtaylor
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Six Foot Track