Lippie Power Bank

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Lippie Power Bank

Postby Lamont » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 7:06 pm

Looking for a lipstick sized reliable power bank about 3500. Any ideas?
This was all I could find.
https://www.cablegeek.com.au/shop/power ... ower-bank/

this is something that I would like-
Koral 3350 Portable Charger - 3350mAh Lipstick Size.
ta.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Lippie Power Bank

Postby ribuck » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 6:41 am

Just be aware that a "lipstick size" portable charger is not the same size as a tube of lipstick.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:48 am

Lots of options on AliExpress.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ee4VvC5
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Watertank » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 11:17 am

I have a few power banks - I have found that Anker lasts the longest - if you are happy with something larger than lipstick size I would go for https://www.cablegeek.com.au/shop/power ... ower-bank/
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 12:03 pm

Ta so far,
ha ha yes not lippie size I know -just a name, looking at AExpress just hoping someone might have a model they recommend, have 2 Xiaomi PBs already -5000 and 1000, needs to be small. The model I linked even has a nice oval shape and would disappear nicely in my rucksack but only seems to be on Amazon.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 1:17 pm

I agree about Anker products - all mine have been excellent.

A couple of alternatives:
You can buy just the lipstick charger without the battery and then add in a top quality Panasonic cell https://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10001980/1141100-panasonic-ncr-18650b-rechargeable-3400mah-3-7v. They come in both round and square profiles.

Another is a Miller charger https://www.fasttech.com/product/1137904-miller-ml-102-universal-usb-smart-charger-version and add as many cells as you want depending on trip length.

One thing to watch if you go this route is the length of the cell. Protection adds a bit to the cell length and may make them a bit long to fit. Being single cell chargers protection is less of an issue.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 2:06 pm

Ta Mark, I see the battery you linked but not the "lipstick charger without the battery". Is it a tube somewhere on the site?
Is this it?
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1424/ ... ox-diy-kit
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Watertank » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 2:27 pm

I see that the weight of the Anker Astro E1 is listed as 119grams on Amazon and the lipstick AUKey linked in the first post is listed as 146 grams.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 2:49 pm

Lamont wrote:Ta Mark, I see the battery you linked but not the "lipstick charger without the battery". Is it a tube somewhere on the site?
Is this it?
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1424/ ... ox-diy-kit

Yep. One of many.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 2:56 pm

Ah ha! :D Fastech which is new (ta Mark) to me revealed this little number
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1424/ ... -bank-3-6v
and this in depth review if you anyone is interested in a one unit piece.
https://www.xiaomitoday.com/zmi-powerba ... lashlight/ (Sans the torch)
You can see the internal battery is literally "3350mAh single-capacity LG F1L battery with a full-voltage of 4.2V"
thus fastech and the manufacturer say 3000mh capacity(only a loss of 10% ? ).
Xiaomi does have a reputation for losing very little of its stated capacity. Double click adaption for small items as well (-my head torch) and 76 grams.

I think for my needs this would work, but clearly Mark's idea is (slightly heavier/roughly same size) superior for the longer term away from power.
Mark do you know would this be equal to the battery you linked in output?
EDIT just saw 3315mh
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 4:26 pm

This company is another good source for electronics: https://au.element14.com/search?st=powerbank
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Watertank » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 4:45 pm

Lamont for some reason I can't find the Xiaomi Mi ZMI Mobile Power Bank on the Mi website....just wondering whether the use of the word "authentic" is correct...
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 5:08 pm

Ta WT, I think this is the Chinese official site?
http://www.zmifi.com/ this is stamped on the unit.
"ZMi Is a New Line of Xiaomi Power Banks'-they used to be MI, is all I can find I believe it is not dodgy.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 09 Mar, 2019 8:18 am

How did you get on with your search?

My power bank weighs 240g (!) and is good for a few charges, but really, all I want to do is keep my Inreach Mini kicking along, I can deal with my phone going flat. My phone lasts for 5+ days only turning on for a few photos, less if I have an audiobook on the go.

Have looked at the links, the Anker seems good, but says only 1.5 charges for a Samsung.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 09 Mar, 2019 11:45 am

Hi, I didn't list an Anker one.
My search was on the lippie one just to boost my phone and Inreach if needed for up to 6-7(8) days. I wouldn't want or need anything bigger.
Haven't bought it yet, but with it I could easily go 6-8 days for phone and Inreach. My Inreach lasts for ages.
If you just want to boost your Mini and want something small and cheap Mark's idea is good or the Mi one I linked would be fine I reckon. Go the lighter and cheaper and most convenient for you.
Or :D maybe consider two of the ones I linked! ( the thriftiness [thrift is my two middle names] in me says buy one and a second if necessary at a latter date -bingo, bango and bongo :lol: ) for $20 delivered you would get about 6000mh for 135 grams. :D
Going out for a few days take the wee one alone -longer chuck them both in! Modularity!
My 5000mh weighs this much. Seems a good deal.
This is my plan.
The one I linked also has the double tap button-for small devices (such as my head-torch) which won't charge on some Power banks.
Mi is a very good and reputable brand-the biggest seller in China.
I have a 5000mh and a 10000mh at (210grams size of a phone and 10mm thick) Mi and they are excellent, but too big for my needs.

Mark and Keithy are the blokes to ask.
Maybe raise a new post with your specific needs if this doesn't help?
Cheers
G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 09 Mar, 2019 12:10 pm

You know me, I am all about the Thrift also, although my middle name is Stingy Tightwad.

I like the way you think. Try with one, if it doesn't pan out, then get two of the lipstick ones and I am still ahead at nearly half the weight of my current over-kill charger.

If I stopped being such a chicken and would turn my Inreach off at night, I could probably get away with no powerbank at all. I know the Inreach MIni lasts 4-5 days just using it for tracking (20-30 min intervals) and with bluetooth turned off while walking 6-8hrs a day. It is my security blanket that I sleep near so that I can hit SOS if needed if a bunyip tries to get me.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 1:27 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:My power bank weighs 240g (!) and is good for a few charges,

The 240g is pretty light weight if it is about a 10000mAh capacity powerbank.

Bear in mind that the lipstick sized ones generally only contain an 18650 sized cell with under 3400mAh capacity. This usually means it will only top up modern smartphones once (or almost top up).

A slightly bigger unit, but still a good quality budget powerbank is the Xiaomi Mi 5000mAh powerbank. This uses the flat li-poly battery instead of a cylindriall cell battery inside, and might charge your phone 1.5-2 times. Weighs around 150g.

I have seen them going for around $15-$20. Geardo for example has the 5000mAh powerbank going for about $16 in March 2019.

But this means they aren't as good value as the 10000mAh versions which can be bought with the current ebay sales for around $20 .

There are DIY options as well - where you can source your own 18650 cell, and use them in a charger/powerbank as Mark mentions above. An 18650 cell weighs around 50g each.

keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lamont » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 8:03 am

Ah ha keithy! Hows things?
Are you checking this muddy?
Yes, I have the Xiaomi 5000 paid $12. Won't charge my head torch though. The one I linked will. Manual double tap feature.
Want some modularity and myself probably wouldn't carry a 10000.
Would the 18650 be more energy efficient than the one I linked?
EDIT ps Looking at a pic on my second link it has 1865 stamped on it-would this indicate a 18650?
Thanks for the new recommendations. I shall certainly check them out.
Thanks again to both you and Mark.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 8:15 pm

keithy wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:My power bank weighs 240g (!) and is good for a few charges,

The 240g is pretty light weight if it is about a 10000mAh capacity powerbank.

[/list]

I think my powerbank is a bit of a tall story teller- it is supposed to be 20,000mAh, but I think it was just a bit of misleading trickery with the advertising. It was a cheapie that was purchased two years ago. It probably is half that, still good for a few charges and/or top ups though. Just seems to be more charge than I need or want and think it would be easy to shed some weight by going with something lighter if walking for less than a week.

Thank you for the recommendations, more food for thought. Xiaomi is a brand that seems to keep cropping up, with good reason it seems.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 10:19 pm

Lamont wrote:Ah ha keithy! Hows things?
Are you checking this muddy?
Yes, I have the Xiaomi 5000 paid $12. Won't charge my head torch though. The one I linked will. Manual double tap feature.
Want some modularity and myself probably wouldn't carry a 10000.
Would the 18650 be more energy efficient than the one I linked?
EDIT ps Looking at a pic on my second link it has 1865 stamped on it-would this indicate a 18650?

Not charging your head torch might be due to the low current draw from some devices. I have found my fitness band, some bluetooth headphones and watches have such a low current draw from the powerbank that powerbanks with automatic detection do not start charging, or shut off after a short while as it doesn't think it is charging a device at the low current.

Xiaomi have fixed this with newer powerbanks where you can do a double press of the button to charge low current devices. I think the new 10000mAh Powerbank 2 has the feature to charge low current devices for 2 hours when you double press the button.

Haven't tested out the Zmi one you linked, but the shape of it definitely suggests a cylindrical 18650 cell inside. The lithium polymer batteries are usually flat pouches like those in smartphones. But not having tested one of those ZMIs I can't say if it will be any more efficient. The newer Xiaomi powerbanks are claiming around 90% efficiency, I am yet to pick up one to verify their claims. I usually work on about 80% as my rule of thumb.

When I first went to Nepal in 2013 for a month, I took two 5000mAh powerbanks. Mainly to charge my GPS AA batteries, Sony camera and phone. Used a solar panel to top them up on acclimatisation days, but with strict rationing it was enough.

These days, the one of the newer 10000mAh powerbanks are lighter than two of my old 5000mAh powerbanks and can quick charge my devices, and can be quick charged themselves, which my older powerbanks could not. If I go really light, I might take a few 18650 cells and one of the DIY powerbanks to get around 5000-6000mAh for about 160g.

Ms_Mudd wrote:it is supposed to be 20,000mAh, but I think it was just a bit of misleading trickery with the advertising

Ah yes, if your powerbank was advertising 20000mAh but only weighed 240g, that is definitely porky pies. It likely will be less than half capacity, with the rest of the weight being the plastic enclosure and componentry.

The Xiaomi branded ones seem to be quite good value - they use good quality cells, and the newer ones can quick charge smartphones, and can be quick charged as well. My oldest ones are going back to 2015 and after testing in January still give me around 80% of their original capacity.

They can be quite reasonably priced too - for example, this one on ebay from a reputable seller, with 20% off "PLUSMORE" coupon is currently about $20 for the 10000mAh https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xiaomi-1000 ... 2618233330
keithy

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 10:04 am

Thanks Keithy, your knowledge on the subject is nothing short of impressive!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 7:16 pm

Hey keithy checked out the klarus-really nice light and very compact tube and capable of nice modularity, comes with it's own battery (and bonus wee lamp!), quick charge and discharge -plus buy another battery and a nice ultralight set-up can be had (also available in Oz) - but ends up quite expensive compared to two Xiaomis.
Two Xiaomis -$20USD Fastech
Klarus lighter/smaller comes with one battery- $25USD Fastech plus I would have to buy one extra battery so the cost bumps up again. To what, about $35USD?
Do I need the klarus one do you reckon as a spare. If not any idea which might be a good alternative of the same mhs and same fast charge/recharge capacity?
Cheers G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 10:19 pm

Lamont wrote:but ends up quite expensive compared to two Xiaomis.
Two Xiaomis -$20USD Fastech

The Ziaomi mini PB630 is definitely cheaper. However, it does not appear to have a user replaceable battery, and the internal battery is rated at 3000mAh (vs the Klarus 3400mAH). I haven't got one yet, so don't know if the internal cell is spotwelded or soldered to the charging controller, but ether way it does not appear to be user replaceable like the Klarus. I haven't been following prices on the Klarus and haven't seen any discounts being offered on it yet, but the prices from memory was around USD$20-25.

The other main difference is that the ZMI PB630 has an input and an output charge rate of 1A. The charge rate governs how fast the powerbank will charge up and how fast it will charge up connected devices. With newer smart devices, the 1A charge rate will take a longer time to charge up, and at 1A the 3000mAh would take around 3 hours to charge up when plugged in to a wall socket USB that can output at least 1A.

In comparison the Klarus CH1X has an input and output charge rate of 2A, double that of the ZMI powerbank, and has a replaceable cell.

There is also another 18650 charger in the lipstick form factor called the Thrunite C2, that boasts a higher output current of 2.4A - 3A however I have read a number of reviews complaining about it's inability to charge low current devices (like some headlamps and torches, watches, and iPods etc). There are also a few reports of failures and poor build quality. I haven't been following this one since 2017 so don't know if the issues have been addressed yet.

For myself, I probably have too many chargers at home to get another one of these lipstick form factor powerbanks. I have a number of USB input 14500 & 18650 capable chargers similar to the Miller charger linked by Mark above that can also act as emergency powerbanks when using an 18650 battery. The ones I use regularly now are made by Xtar and Liitokala. Of course, using these type of chargers, the batteries are exposed, prone to being knocked out or out of alignment when in use, so are not as handy as the lipstick sized enclosed chargers. So you can't just connect it to a smartphone and throw it in your pack to charge, more care has to be given to it to ensure the battery does not fall out, or worse, short circuit.
keithy

Return to Techno-Babble