Water at Alum Creek / Little River

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

Water at Alum Creek / Little River

Postby ramblinyehs » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 2:54 am

Hi everyone, We are doing the SFT this weekend from Jenolan to Katoomba and maybe planning to camp the first night at Alum Creek. Does anyone know if there is water in Alum Creek or Little River? I have read that there is a tank there. Does anyone know if this had any water?
Thanks!
ramblinyehs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Ms
Region: New South Wales

Re: Water at Alum Creek / Little River

Postby Xplora » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 6:05 am

You should be able to get water from Little River regardless of Alum Creek. Alum Creek itself will most likely be dry. Always treat the water from Little River.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ramblinyehs » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks Xplora, that is good to have confirmed and I had read that it is fairly reliable on Wildwalks. However I have also read that it can dry up and it has been pretty dry up here.. :(
Cheers and thanks
ramblinyehs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 6:19 am

I would suggest a bigger issue would be water at the Black Range camp as that tank will most likely be empty. If you are doing a car shuttle or starting at Jenolan then maybe a diversion into the camp with a food and water drop. If you are planning a one night trip then you could carry enough drinking water without the drop. Little River is about half way give or take. It will get low but you should still be able to find a hole to filter from.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ramblinyehs » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks again Xplorer for the good advice. Will do a reccy on the way in to Jenolan and take some water to cache. I'm taking a Katadyn filter and some Aqua Mira...I also have a Grayl (fantastic btw) but it is heaviest option and I think I will have it covered with the other method. As we are doing the walk from Jenolan to Katoomba, we should be able to walk downhill with our water from Little Creek. We aren't doing to car shuffle but will catch the train back to Sydney. Luckily we have partners who will drive us there! We are not starting the walk until Sunday. I have a weather forecast predicting showers Sunday and another saying none on Sunday but on Monday...so who knows! That's the weather for you :D
ramblinyehs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Fatman » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 11:17 am

Hi ramblinyehs, We walked the SFT on 19-20/9/18 and there was plenty of water in the tanks at Coxs River, Allum Creek and Black Range Campground. Black Range had a little tannin discolouration but was good water. Little River was also flowing.
Fatman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Six Foot Track