X Mid - Dan Durston

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: X Mid - Dan Durston

Postby Tortoise » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 9:49 am

dandurston wrote:
Tortoise wrote:I'm hanging out for the solo X mid with the partial solid inner!! The ultimate tent. 8)

I just wonder, as a 'high' camper in Tasmania, if the tent would benefit from a bit of tweaking to increase ventilation. Hopefully the 2 good-sized vents would be good enough to cope with the large amounts of condensation we can have to deal with. The larger amount of mesh at the top of the inner (compared to your first thoughts), would definitely help.

Yeah a X-Mid 1P with a partial solid inner would be awesome. It's been a bit of a challenge to convince Massdrop how popular solid/semi-solid inners are outside North America so they haven't gotten started on this yet, but I think there's a good chance we do this. Right now we're working hard on finishing up the 2P but hopefully they are agreeable to working on that in the not too distant future. I can't promise anything though. The next batch of the 1P is arriving towards the end of 2019 and those are only mesh inner, but perhaps we can have solid inners ready sometime next year.

As for ventilation, the X-Mid has those two large vents up top so that warm/humid air can rise out, and then at the bottom there is normally about a 2" gap that lets a bit of fresh air come in, without allowing problematic rain splatter or drafts. It is an option to pitch the tent a bit higher (using longer cord at the 4 corners) for even more venting at the bottom, but that starts to make the tent quite drafty if it's windy so I normally don't use it like that. If we do a solid/partial solid inner are going to have more mesh than what that early prototype had, so there will be more venting there as well. Overall, venting is a balance between having enough airflow but not so much that it's cold and drafty. I think the 1P strikes a nice balance with more coverage at the bottom but larger vents up top (that can be closed) and that should continue if we make a partial solid version.

Thanks for that, Dan. Yeah, I know it's not definite. I just like to think it is. Too tantalising otherwise!

Thanks for the detail. It was hard to tell from the pics what the gap is at the base. 2" sounds like a good compromise. It's good to know about the higher option, in case it could be handy on occasions. With the partial solid, I suspect the draftiness would be less of a problem than with the mesh inner.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby adg » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 4:25 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Anyone care to share some pics of their Xmid in the wild? I am trying to patiently wait for mine to ship in September.

Mine's had a couple of outings now - a couple of pics from the first trip to Lal Lal in May:

IMG_1918.JPG
IMG_1918.JPG (158.24 KiB) Viewed 27777 times

IMG_1919.JPG
IMG_1919.JPG (128.22 KiB) Viewed 27777 times

It's not the best pitch - I'm used to freestanding tents, so I'm still getting the hang of trekking pole tents.

I'm 185cm (6'1"), so it's a 'close' fit - I sort of push up on the mesh when I sit up to get changed, but I'm not pushing into the fly. Floor area wise, it fits a large NeoAir Xlite, which makes me very happy.

The only gripe so far is the position of the tie-back loops for the doors (mesh and fly) - they're too low down, so the doors sag. This is particularly noticeable in the morning, when the fly is wet and heavy with dew fall & condensation.

So far I have to say I'm pretty happy with it :) It's damn good at the price point.
adg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks so much for posting! Awesome! Great that your big pad fits in no worries.
Being tall would be such a pain sometimes, my shortness makes fitting in tents a much simpler affair.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rosscodj » Sun 30 Jun, 2019 11:03 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Rosscodj, uni is intense! I have enrolled to do my masters...twice...and wussed out as the thought of more study is just outright daunting despite it being years since I graduated. Good on you for pushing through, am sure next semester will fly by. I will keep checking up on this thread excitedly to see your tent pics. I am a loser, perhaps I should return to more study so I don't need to stalk tent threads? ;-)

It hasn't been easy, that's for sure! Just need to get this major project finished and then get a real job - and never ever ever go back to uni again, hahaha. Looks like I'm off for an overnighter somewhere tomorrow before the rain comes back, so I'll make sure to take a few snaps!

adg wrote:The only gripe so far is the position of the tie-back loops for the doors (mesh and fly) - they're too low down, so the doors sag. This is particularly noticeable in the morning, when the fly is wet and heavy with dew fall & condensation.

Try rolling it from the zipper out, instead of from the bottom up, That will put the sag on the other side of the tie out and give you more headroom in the door.
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 4:14 pm

Sounds like a two person mesh inner, eagle (not winter nylon) is about to land in 1-2 weeks- what's the good word Dan?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Rosscodj » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 2:33 pm

I finally got to spend a night in mine on Monday. Did the first ~40kms of the Great North Walk (Macquarie Place to Thornleigh). Bit of a slow start getting to the obelisk and on to the Ferry. Spend the night at the Lance Cove park, which was a nice enough spot, if a bit pricey, but I couldn't be bothered trying to find somewhere else that I could pitch without getting in trouble, etc.

I like the tent. I need to put some seam sealer on the floor though, was quite slippery, and I was on a little bit of an incline. Not major, but enough that I had to wake up and shift a couple of times. Incidentally, I thought I pitched the tent so I was head high.... but then there's the old angled inner to consider. I'll pay a bit more attention next time. Quite a bit of condensation on the fly in the morning, but none on the inner. and easy enough to get in/out without getting wet from it

One thing I didn't like as much, and I'll try to fix this by extending the poles a bit further and angling them out, but I tend to sleep on my right side - so I had a pole right at my back that I bumped into a few times. This wasn't a problem when I slept on my left. I never really considered that the tent could be considered almost left or right handed, in a way.

Love the vestibule size, which can actually give some decent shade sitting underneath it, next to the door. I also did the ol' hook the fly door tie out to the loop on the mesh to provide a bit more headroom, which worked fine.

Here's two not so exciting photos I took.
Attachments
IMG_8936.jpeg
IMG_8936.jpeg (144.89 KiB) Viewed 27476 times
IMG_8938.jpeg
IMG_8938.jpeg (88.14 KiB) Viewed 27476 times
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rosscodj » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 2:34 pm

Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 07 Jul, 2019 9:25 pm

Rosscodj, thanks for posting the pics. Looks pretty ideal, sitting with a beer, reading something on your kindle. I had't considered the pole being right there as you roll over. Interesting point. The vestibules look HUGE.

I want to start ticking bits of the GNW off at some point too. Only done the Heatons Lookout section from Freeman's Waterhole servo so far. It was a superhighway there on a weekend, I normally see no-one walking up here around home, I was blown away by the sheer number of trail users from the servo.
Is that a BA mat I spy in the tent? I have recently made the switch to a BA mat and am really happy with it so far.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rosscodj » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 8:08 am

Allllways find a spot for my kindle in the pack! Yeah, I hadn't thought about the poles either, coming from non-trekking pole tents or tarps previously. I'm going to set it up in the yard later to put a bit of seam sealer on the floor this week and see how far I can angle the poles, but I really don't think they'll need to be moved far, maybe a hands width away from the inner (it actually looks like I've put it a bit too close in the photo above).

I've done Macquarie place through to Cowan over two trips now. Keen to move further along when I get the time!

Mat is an Exped Synmat UL7 S. Its about 7 or 8 years old, and still going strong, but it's possibly going to be replaced soon.
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 9:49 am

Oh a Synmat, comfy!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rumblepants » Tue 09 Jul, 2019 5:24 pm

Anyone know when the next drop is happening for the X-mid 1?
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby Mark F » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 9:25 am

The last drop, I think, was in early May with delivery early September - waiting impatiently. Put yourself on the notify list if interested
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 4:31 pm

Been watching this with interest and looking forward to the 2p version being released. But then i read in the comments on the Massdrop Xmid 2p discussion board that they're also working towards a DCF version, which i'd be happy to wait a while longer for. Can't imagine it'd be cheap but surely being a group buy would be cheaper than the equivalent Stratospire Li?
Attachments
drop.PNG
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 5:36 am

2P go- 9 months is the charm.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby fixa » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 7:52 am

2P!!

Order placed. The backpack designed by Dan has been released too.
fixa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 8:41 am

Getting excited now, hopefully my 1p will ship in the next week or two. Yeeehahhhh.

Just wondering on existing users, what you found to be optimal pole height to pitch?

I have 2 sets of trekking poles (Leki and Komperdell) they are rock solid and I have been very happy with them, but want something lighter for when I am running and am also considering doing some fastpacking this Spring, I don't want to lug my heavy poles to pitch my tent as I would only use them for technical up/downhills. Loving the look of Black Diamond Z CF poles but they are not adjustable and I am a shorty pants whose poles are comfortable set at 105cm to walk, so at most, I would buy 110cm Black Diamond Poles.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rosscodj » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 8:49 am

I think 105-110 would be too short. From memory, 115-125cm seems to be around where I've had mine - usually set to 115 to pitch then adjust a little bit. That said, there's no reason you can't get a small tube of some sort to slot over the end of the pole, or stick a rock under the poles to get some extra height. (You could even use your shoes, but that might get a bit stinky seeing as the one of the poles is up near your head.)
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 9:02 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Getting excited now, hopefully my 1p will ship in the next week or two. Yeeehahhhh.

Just wondering on existing users, what you found to be optimal pole height to pitch?

I have 2 sets of trekking poles (Leki and Komperdell) they are rock solid and I have been very happy with them, but want something lighter for when I am running and am also considering doing some fastpacking this Spring, I don't want to lug my heavy poles to pitch my tent as I would only use them for technical up/downhills. Loving the look of Black Diamond Z CF poles but they are not adjustable and I am a shorty pants whose poles are comfortable set at 105cm to walk, so at most, I would buy 110cm Black Diamond Poles.

Have a serious think about these
https://locusgear.com/items/cp3/?lang=en
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 3:24 pm

Rosscodj, hmm yes, rather thought the BD set length poles wouldn't do the trick. Thanks for confirming.

Lamont, those LG poles are half the price of the BD ones, looks like we could have a winner!

Now come on Drop...ship my damn tent!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 5:12 pm

I just received a Locus Gear CP3 the other day. 150g and it arrived in 3 days. I normally use one Black Diamond carbon cork pole while walking but occasionally want another for creeks and steep ascents. It’s the perfect secondary pole imo.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 8:47 pm

Great to know you are pleased with it Zapruda. That is incredibly fast post- crazy!

I just realised the price was per pole, rather than a set of two. Still comes out comparably to the set height BD ones though, so nothing lost there. It seems excessive to want a 3rd set of poles but for long running trips, the extra weight will make a difference and I am sure I will stick to my sturdy old faithfuls for any other trip where I will just walk.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dandurston » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 8:16 am

I really like the Locus Gear CP3 poles. They're my main poles. For the X-Mid I don't pre-measure the poles but rather just insert them and extend them until taut (ideally don't crank them super tall - just get them taut and then snug up the tent with a final tightening at the corners). That process tends to give a pole height in the 116 - 119 cm range for the 1P. It can be taller if you have the cords longer at the 4 corners, as that lifts the entire fly up.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 1:07 pm

dandurston wrote:I really like the Locus Gear CP3 poles. They're my main poles. For the X-Mid I don't pre-measure the poles but rather just insert them and extend them until taut (ideally don't crank them super tall - just get them taut and then snug up the tent with a final tightening at the corners). That process tends to give a pole height in the 116 - 119 cm range for the 1P. It can be taller if you have the cords longer at the 4 corners, as that lifts the entire fly up.

Thanks Dan, glad you have been happy with the CP3's, I am glad that Lamont mentioned them to me, as I was drawing a blank when trying to adjustable carbon fibre poles that I can use for running and faster adventures.

Excellent, shall ask my husband to get them for my upcoming birthday. Some women love jewellery, some just want some super dooper light poles for their X-Mid ;-)

In other exciting news.....my X-MID has shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 3:19 pm

My order has been placed for the X-mid 2p! ... Got a bit unlucky with the Aussie Dollar, but it's still a relatively good price. Came in at just a tad over $400 including the delivery fee. Will more than likely be adjusting the delivery fee favourably, as I'm off to Canada in 6 weeks with a work-visa to live the alpine life for a while, so will likely get it sent to Canada or somewhere in the US, which will shave $30 or so off the price, I imagine. I wonder why Massdrop's delivery fee is so much better than Campsaver? I opted for the 2p bc I like my space :)

Off topic, but Dan, if you do see this, what resources (websites/forums) are best for discovering multi-day hikes throughout the US and Canada? Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bam » Wed 04 Sep, 2019 9:03 pm

FNM wrote:Will more than likely be adjusting the delivery fee favourably, as I'm off to Canada in 6 weeks with a work-visa to live the alpine life for a while, so will likely get it sent to Canada or somewhere in the US, which will shave $30 or so off the price

It would probably be better to get it sent to somewhere in the US rather than Canada, not 100% certain but I believe that you might incur additional fees & charges (taxes) if you get it delivered to Canada from the US.
I think that I read somewhere that it’s something to do with tents being listed in a very high importation taxation bracket but not entirely confident that I’ve actually got the right country!
Might be worthwhile just checking it out before making a final decision.
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 6:59 pm

My XMid is here, arrived yesterday. So keen to have a mess around with it
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rosscodj » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 7:05 pm

That was quick! Took two and a half-ish weeks for me, I think. Enjoy!!
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 07 Sep, 2019 9:33 pm

Rosscodj wrote:That was quick! Took two and a half-ish weeks for me, I think. Enjoy!!

Despite earlier suggestions on another thread that I should get a kite,instead of messing about with tweaking set ups in high winds, I still insisted on setting up my X-Mid on my lawn today due to the severe weather warning current for my area of NSW. Unfortunately, unlike my Chinese 'kite substitutes', I didn't end up with a standing tent this time around with my X-Mid :-( I may even have ruined the fly when my trekking pole all but pierced through it when it blew over and the tip must have jumped out of the eyelet. I am unsure how compromised it is, can see where the tip has left marks and will have to test to make sure that those pressure marks are not micro tears :cry:

I am totally owning fault for my flattened X-Mid though, I just used the Ti sheperd hooks it came with. Given the extremely windy conditions I should have marched my butt up to my shed and got some better pegs. I guyed it out, went up the bush for a bit and came home to a flattened, flapping tent. Thank goodness at least one peg held or else my brand new tent would have been half way out to sea with these crazy winds :roll:

So not an overly successful maiden voyage. Took the shine off my excitement a little, but I can see that it is a really intuitive pitch and would be quite an easy tent to live with after a long day walking. The interior will be huge for me, I will easily fit my pack at my feet.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Watertank » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 8:37 pm

Well Ms Mudd, the weather in Melbourne hasn't been as wild as where you are - my X Mid arrived on Wednesday - I put it up in the back garden on Thursday and it has stayed there since as I wait for the rain to abate and the tent to dry out. I am, like many others, very impressed - I have had a few light weight one person tents in the past but they always feel claustrophobic and not long enough. I am just over 6 feet and there is plenty of room to stretch out. The construction looks good and the hardware well thought through. I am looking forward to taking it out on an excursion soon.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 2:17 pm

My X-Mid arrived today. First pitch went okay, I think I over tightened my hiking poles as the pitch was a bit high and pulled the inner up at both ends. I loosened the roof straps and that helped a bit. Might have to put a scratch or something on my poles to indicate appropriate height. They are so well used that they don't have many of the original markings left. Anyway I had a bit of help from my dog as I checked it all out who happily inserted himself inside without an invitation. Got some suitably nasty looking black clouds on the horizon so I might sleep in it tonight and see how it holds up.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment