Overlands Track Mid-Late November 2019

For people seeking walking companions or transport for the Overland Track in Tasmania
Forum rules
This forum is for people seeking walking companions or transport for the Overland Track. There is a separate forum to find walking companions and transport for other walking areas.

1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

Overlands Track Mid-Late November 2019

Postby Alsci » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 11:20 am

Hi Everyone,

Would anyone be interested in splitting a private coach from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain to complete the Overland Track?

I’m looking at doing the Overland Track in Mid-Late November this year. I was planning on driving to Lake St Clair from Davenport and then getting transport to the start of the track at Cradle Mountain. After some research there no longer appears to be a direct route, so the quickest way is to use private shuttle services, which is costly. For 4+ people I have been quoted $100 per person otherwise the flat rate is $400 for 1-3 people.

Happy to give lifts from Davenport to Lake St Clair :)
Alsci
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Overlands Track Mid-Late November 2019

Postby Warin » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 12:54 pm

The usual services go from Lake St Clair to Launceston. It might be cheaper to leave your car in Launceston and take coaches to Cradle and then return from Lake St Clair to Launceston :?:
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Alsci » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 2:10 pm

Warin wrote:The usual services go from Lake St Clair to Launceston. It might be cheaper to leave your car in Launceston and take coaches to Cradle and then return from Lake St Clair to Launceston :?:

That might actually be a good idea, I did see those bus options when researching. Where would I leave my car in Launceston though?
Alsci
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Hot073 » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 10:58 am

Anyone looking for O/T transport send me an email at scottssv10@hotmail.com
Late model twin cab 4wd have room for 4 people.
Drop at Cradle pick up St Clair
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 11:15 am

Alsci wrote:
Warin wrote:The usual services go from Lake St Clair to Launceston. It might be cheaper to leave your car in Launceston and take coaches to Cradle and then return from Lake St Clair to Launceston :?:

That might actually be a good idea, I did see those bus options when researching. Where would I leave my car in Launceston though?

There's overnight/long term parking at the airport, which iirc was around $50. Then there's a night accommodation somewhere and I think the cheapest service is still round about via Devonport(?) (plus the bus fares). A lot of people find others on the track to share the bus so it can be a better idea to leave a car at CM (if you do use a charter bus).

btw: It's actually still illegal to operate an open carriage service for profit and to enter a park with paying customers without an additional concession.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 11:47 am

Alsci wrote:

Where would you stay in Launceston? Ask them if you could leave you car with them.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Alsci » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 2:14 pm

I just realised that I can park in Cradle Mountain, take the bus from Lake St. Clair to Launceston and then get the bus the next day to Cradle Mountain again.
Alsci
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Sat 31 Aug, 2019 5:01 am

that's a good idea.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Find Companions or Transport for the Overland Track