Tasmanian Parks Closed

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tasmanian Parks Closed

Postby Nuts » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 5:31 pm

Critical Alert

Closed area: All parks and reserves closed
From 26/3/2020, last reviewed 26/3/2020

​Following advice from the Tasmania Department of Health and Tasmanian Government that our community should limit unnecessary travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, the PWS has closed all national parks, reserves and campgrounds until further notice.

The PWS is calling on Tasmanian’s to support the national effort to limit the spread of COVID-19 and stay home during this time.

From midnight Thursday 26 March, PWS is temporarily closing all national parks, reserves, campgrounds and facilities to recreational and tourism use. This means that all day walks, mountain biking, fishing and tours will not be permitted. Washrooms, day use facilities, showers and visitor centres are closed until further notice.​
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tasmanian Parks Closed

Postby rangersac » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:00 am

Gotta say for mine this is massive overreaction that will just encourage rebellious behaviour. I have no truck in closing visitor centres, huts, campgrounds, toilets etc that would all require regular sterilization and encourage congregations of people, and backcountry tracks given they would be difficult to effectively manage. However what's the point in closing small reserves like Peter Murrell or Coningham, where people go to walk a dog, or have a quiet walk or bike ride on a fire trail? What's so difficult about adopting sensible rules like NZ has?
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MrWalker » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:34 am

rangersac wrote:Gotta say for mine this is massive overreaction that will just encourage rebellious behaviour. I have no truck in closing visitor centres, huts, campgrounds, toilets etc that would all require regular sterilization and encourage congregations of people, and backcountry tracks given they would be difficult to effectively manage. However what's the point in closing small reserves like Peter Murrell or Coningham, where people go to walk a dog, or have a quiet walk or bike ride on a fire trail? What's so difficult about adopting sensible rules like NZ has?

I like the NZ note from DOC in that link.
Time spent in nature feeds the soul, keeps us fit and calms the mind.

I can understand closing the major National Parks where everyone goes, but Tas Parks have included every reserve. This only leaves a few places to go for a walk of more than kilometre or so. When word gets around that there are some areas not prohibited, those are going to be incredibly crowded. Why not spread everyone out over the rest of the state so we can stay away from each other?
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby pazzar » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:36 am

They are trying to prevent people congregating in groups. I don't like the decision at all - I wanted to be out in the mountains this weekend, but I will suck it up and do what I'm told.

Unless you absolutely have to go out - stay at home folks!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Thornbill » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:37 am

rangersac wrote: However what's the point in closing small reserves like Peter Murrell or Coningham, where people go to walk a dog, or have a quiet walk or bike ride on a fire trail? What's so difficult about adopting sensible rules like NZ has?

Agree. I walk my dog early every morning around the fire break of Peter Murrel Reserve. It gets me 30minutes of exercise and nature right by my door. And I literally interact with no one. It's crucial if I'm going to spend the next who knows how many months indoors and incredibly low risk.
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:55 am

They are trying to prevent people travelling.

It's unfortunate for those who live next to a park/reserve, and for those who would go there for solo walks (including myself) or for those who would walk with their family whom they are shut in the same house as anyhow (again, including me).

But I appreciate that it's easier to manage a blanket ban, than trying to police a long list of exceptions to the rule.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby MrWalker » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:57 am

Son of a Beach wrote:They are trying to prevent people travelling.

But travelling doesn't spread the virus if you don't come near anyone while you are out for the day, or for the week.
MrWalker

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:59 am

Agreed, but that is the government advice to everybody. (I've also updated my earlier post.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rangersac » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 9:17 am

Son of a Beach wrote:But I appreciate that it's easier to manage a blanket ban, than trying to police a long list of exceptions to the rule.

I must confess I don't agree with this statement at all. A blanket ban is virtually impossible to police because of the resources involved. It's also potentially counter productive because if everyone obeyed the ban it would concentrate people into the few areas that are still open such as dog recreation areas. It also makes zero logical sense in the wider community restrictions. So you wanna go and get a three hour haircut or beauty treatment that's safe, and go to a supermarket where social distancing is a nebulous concept, but a solo walk on a fire trail can't be undertaken?

As already stated, put some sensible rules in place a la DOC NZ and people will respect them. There will always be a portion of twats that will disobey restrictions regardless of their wording but you can't legislate for that.
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 9:31 am

rangersac wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:But I appreciate that it's easier to manage a blanket ban, than trying to police a long list of exceptions to the rule.

I must confess I don't agree with this statement at all. A blanket ban is virtually impossible to police because of the resources involved. It's also potentially counter productive because if everyone obeyed the ban it would concentrate people into the few areas that are still open such as dog recreation areas. It also makes zero logical sense in the wider community restrictions. So you wanna go and get a three hour haircut or beauty treatment that's safe, and go to a supermarket where social distancing is a nebulous concept, but a solo walk on a fire trail can't be undertaken?

As already stated, put some sensible rules in place a la DOC NZ and people will respect them. There will always be a portion of twats that will disobey restrictions regardless of their wording but you can't legislate for that.

I didn't say it made sense. :-)

Perhaps "police" was a bad choice of wording.

Also, Creating and explaining a long list of exceptions is not going to be understood by the community, especially when it is all being done hastily and changing every second day (literally). Eg, the exceptions around how much of the Overland Track people can walk without a pass and in the other direction (when there's not a pandemic) still confuse me. I have to keep going back to them to remind myself of what can and cannot be done.

Having had to formulate rules for people's behaviour myself, I can understand how it can be difficult to formulate rules that are both fair and clear, and include all appropriate exceptions. In some cases it's almost impossible, and therefore creating a simpler blanket rule is all that's really feasible.

Again... not saying I agree with the ban itself.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 12:11 pm

I cant imagine anybody with any authority is implementing restrictions like this with the intent of deliberately penalizing anyone.
It's all being done in our best interests and should probably be respected as much as possible.

( keeping the virus contained to cities and major centres and preventing the spread to outlying rural communities could be crucial ).
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 5:51 am

Forest reserves too:

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 6.44.08 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 6.44.08 am.png (154.13 KiB) Viewed 18845 times

(I'm sure we can live with some overreaction for a while)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lefroy » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 6:38 am

I think this one might be because they have half of the state sustainably on fire at the moment?!
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 9:42 am

If you don’t understand the decision I suggest you do a little more research about the virus and how it can be spread.
Then see if you disagree with this measure.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thornbill » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 11:07 am

Rexyviney36 wrote:If you don’t understand the decision I suggest you do a little more research about the virus and how it can be spread.

I’ve done my research. And still disagree. Close facilities and tourist attractions yes, but I can guarantee you it’s not spread by a handful of locals walking solo in their local reserve. Especially when i can apparently still go to Bunnings
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby weetbix456 » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 11:11 am

These closures are a very convenient situation for those wanting to smash the Sumac/Tarkine forests apart - I’m massively concerned for those sites in particular. If the protesters are forced out - I have no doubt that much of the forest they were protecting will be gone by the end of winter.

Forestry operations also continue in the Styx, Wentworth Hills and Huon regions as far as I am aware, and we now have a situation where no one is watching to keep them in check. Operations should be put to a halt surely - as let's not forget - the end of the moratorium on FPPF ends in April. It's terrifying. I know it sounds pessimistic...but forestry (and Tasmanian Government dodgy dealings) don't have a great record to raise the faith.

It's less likely given the recent crash of the tourism industry, but EOI projects within the TWWHA should also be completely halted in all process form until this crisis is over. Again, less of us out there in the bush checking up on our beloved areas. Small changes can quickly creep in, and once something is built it's hard to reverse or take it away. PWS are still allowing folk with business leases, and licenses to enter parks.

A full lock down seems inevitable - and I'd rather see it done sooner rather than later...but mannnn having minimal open areas left to recreate for the good of mind and body is going to be tough long term if it comes to that. At least allow urban parks/reserves to remain open with strict social distancing policies. Our communities need to remain healthy in all ways.
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 11:57 am

Thornbill wrote:
Rexyviney36 wrote:If you don’t understand the decision I suggest you do a little more research about the virus and how it can be spread.

I’ve done my research. And still disagree. Close facilities and tourist attractions yes, but I can guarantee you it’s not spread by a handful of locals walking solo in their local reserve. Especially when i can apparently still go to Bunnings

Let’s see how this post ages in a couple of weeks...
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thornbill » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 12:32 pm

Rexyviney36 wrote:
Thornbill wrote:

Let’s see how this post ages in a couple of weeks...

How can we? Reserves are closed. So there will be no data to prove either of us right
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rangersac » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 12:38 pm

I await your research which shows people walking solo in outdoor areas are a significant COVID-19 infection vector
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby blackbutt » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 2:37 pm

Tasmanians are supportive of measures to prepare for and slow covid 19. I am guessing we will reach 10% unemplyment, schools are online, elective surgery cancelled etc. So we are doing plenty. Meanwhile here are pictures of Eastlands carpark and Bunnings Mornington this afternoon. A tent isolated in a National Park is not a risk for speeding covid19 spread. Lets get the balance right and reopen low use areas of national parks to day and overnight walkers.
Attachments
20200328_143232.jpg
20200328_144053.jpg
blackbutt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 2:59 pm

blackbutt wrote: Lets get the balance right and reopen low use areas of national parks to day and overnight walkers.

If you reopen "low use areas " while keeping higher use areas closed what are the chances of these areas remaining "low use" ?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MrWalker » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 3:08 pm

rangersac wrote:
I await your research which shows people walking solo in outdoor areas are a significant COVID-19 infection vector

I've done a lot of research on the virus and how it can be spread and there is zero chance of spread by solo walkers in outdoor areas.
Our family managed to find some forest tracks that were not closed yet and we met no-one outside our family all day. And we were spread out a lot more than if we all stayed in our home.
But our future walks are likely to be in dog-walking areas where meeting others will be much harder to avoid.

Closing parks in Tasmania is going to make the risk of spreading Covid-19 greater than it would be if the parks were allowed to remain open.
MrWalker

Postby tastrax » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 3:09 pm

blackbutt wrote:Lets get the balance right and reopen low use areas of national parks to day and overnight walkers.

How about we all keep a detailed list of all the places we go to and the number of people we pass in the next 14 days - and then consider at the end of that period that you may have infected them all. That will really help the epidemiologists should they have to trace all our contacts.

Lets compare in 14 days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/ ... s/12090420
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby blackbutt » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 3:27 pm

Yes i completely agree Tastrax. The number of people I pass in the next 14 days in my street and community generally as I move about lawfully and in accordance with govt directives is infinitely higher than the number of people I would interact with on top of PB or an obscure ABEL. Let's reopen low use areas of National Parks.
tastrax wrote:
blackbutt wrote:Lets get the balance right and reopen low use areas of national parks to day and overnight walkers.

How about we all keep a detailed list of all the places we go to and the number of people we pass in the next 14 days - and then consider at the end of that period that you may have infected them all. That will really help the epidemiologists should they have to trace all our contacts.

Lets compare in 14 days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/ ... s/12090420
blackbutt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Tasmanian Parks Closed

Postby rangersac » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 4:08 pm

Closing parks in Tasmania is going to make the risk of spreading Covid-19 greater than it would be if the parks were allowed to remain open.

I 100% agree with this
Last edited by rangersac on Sat 28 Mar, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby blackbutt » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 4:09 pm

Low use areas are low use because of logistical reasons. If there's an 1100m altitude gain, no track or any other barrier to access then it remains in place. I hope you are safe and well in this lockdown.
Mechanic-AL wrote:
blackbutt wrote: Lets get the balance right and reopen low use areas of national parks to day and overnight walkers.

If you reopen "low use areas " while keeping higher use areas closed what are the chances of these areas remaining "low use" ?
Last edited by blackbutt on Sun 29 Mar, 2020 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
blackbutt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Azza » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 4:55 pm

You guys realise its not about the risk of spreading it while in the park?

Its the travelling to/from the park, perhaps you stop at a toilet, supermarket, petrol station on the way.
Going outside your local area and passing through other communities.
It might involve an unnecessary trip to get food because you were going hiking.
Unnecessary interactions with the community.

Sure ok.. you say I won't stop anywhere along the way. But the problem is everyone thinks they are an exception to the rules.
It's okay for me because I'm not going to spread the virus.

The rules are not perfect, consistent or fair. But its already proven that relying on people to self isolate hasn't worked.
Ask me two weeks ago I would have said going for a walk was a good idea.
But at this point if we actually batten down the hatches we might actually get through this quicker, than if we all think its okay to go out because we're not the problem.

btw.. I tend not to drive 100km to go to bunnings.. (not that I have gone) but there is big difference in terms of spreading viruses.
Azza

Postby axcarmil » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 8:12 pm

It’s not just about closed parks, but more generally about not travelling outside your local area.
My backyard (beach) was busier today than most summer days. It appears that individuals were ‘social distancing’ from Hobart but in doing so they left the local public toilets are trashed and rubbish is scattered everywhere. Normally I’d pick it up, but am reluctant to do so. Without full population testing no one can be 100% confident they do not have the virus, no matter how healthy or asymptotic they feel. I feel everyone should act as if they are contagious and keep their distance.
Last edited by axcarmil on Tue 31 Mar, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axcarmil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby blackbutt » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 9:01 pm

I accept your point that travel involves petrol stations,
and supermarkets. But observing Hobart today clearly there's less human interaction remote walking, than hanging at home with the daily dog walk, popping down to Woolies / Eastlands / Bunnings, drop this off at grandmas house etc. Others have already said here that walking involves less human interaction and thats what its about at the moment. See you guys out there soon. Let's reopen low use areas of National Parks.
Azza wrote:You guys realise its not about the risk of spreading it while in the park?

Its the travelling to/from the park, perhaps you stop at a toilet, supermarket, petrol station on the way.
Going outside your local area and passing through other communities.
It might involve an unnecessary trip to get food because you were going hiking.
Unnecessary interactions with the community.

Sure ok.. you say I won't stop anywhere along the way. But the problem is everyone thinks they are an exception to the rules.
It's okay for me because I'm not going to spread the virus.

The rules are not perfect, consistent or fair. But its already proven that relying on people to self isolate hasn't worked.
Ask me two weeks ago I would have said going for a walk was a good idea.
But at this point if we actually batten down the hatches we might actually get through this quicker, than if we all think its okay to go out because we're not the problem.

btw.. I tend not to drive 100km to go to bunnings.. (not that I have gone) but there is big difference in terms of spreading viruses.
blackbutt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sat 28 Mar, 2020 9:27 pm

Maybe slightly off topic here......

but the idea that some places out there wont be getting trampled on by humans, and for even a brief moment in time can go back to being the wild places they should be is one of the few things that is putting a smile on my dial at the moment.
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Tasmania