Feathertop conditions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feathertop conditions

Postby lachlanf » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 10:38 am

Hey,

Bit of a long shot considering Parks have only just re-opened, but does anyone know the current conditions in terms of snow cover at Feathertop? Hotham webcams show fair coverage but doesn't look like a lot of depth, I assume similar on Feathertop but not sure.

Mate and I are planning this weekend to come up over the Stoney Top track and North Razorback to summit Feathertop and go out via Razorback and Bon Accord... Main concerns are:

1. Whether the North Razorback - which I've not walked before - will be easily navigable given it gets less traffic? Not in terms of getting lost - that would be hard on a ridge, but in terms of being on the track not just stomping around on alpine grasses and rocks..

2. Whether there is any danger in the northern approach of Feathertop? Will have microspikes and poles, and can bring an axe if recommended.

I suspect I'm just boxing at shadows, but my hiking colleague is a bit nervous for his first time hiking in snow and I can always plan a route on the well walked Bungalow with only an optional summit if needed.
lachlanf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Feathertop conditions

Postby stry » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 11:31 am

I'm a fan of plans that have options.

Commitment to plans without options can lead to disappointment.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby msrlo » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 7:22 pm

Just be aware of the gate on the Stoney Top track might be already closed, so might mean a bit more walking but it definitely has the best views going that way to Feathertop
msrlo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lachlanf » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 10:34 am

thanks msrlo - looks like the closures are starting on the 11th, but anyway we're only getting dropped in a Forester so I wasn't too ambitious with how far up we'd get dropped, was planning to play it by ear but likely between the turn off for the Big Flat Track and where Dungey Track and Stoney Top diverge - which based on this map doesn't look like it's at any risk of being closed:

https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/-/media/pr ... C597ED4C61

We will end up walking on 4WD roads a bit and probably get buzzed by a few, but at least it's some easy K's to warm up the legs.
lachlanf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 10:20 am

There is no water on the N. Razorback. It is very exposed once you leave the old helipad at the end of the 4 WD track. If you are heading for Fed. hut or MUMC hut then you are committing to crossing the summit. The weather can be foul and visibility can be zero up there. Choose a good weather window.
If we get snow then the summit could be icy and micro spikes and an ice axe would not be overkill at all.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby clarence » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 8:25 pm

Very exposed ridge like p-c-v said. Easy going along the trail until it goes above the treeline. I agree with all other comments in his post. Vegetation and rocks above the treeline are just like the Federation Hut side of Feathertop, just without the well worn foot pad.

Doing it in winter without axe and crampons would be quite silly. Even without snow, the ground could be iced up.

It is one of the few true alpine ridges in Australia. Probably not an ideal route for a first timer in snow.

I have done it both ways, but in good weather (not winter). It is a stunning ridge.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:14 pm

Can someone confirm for me that typical Cornice formation on Feathertop on on the eastern side?

Also there hasn’t been enough snow fall yet for such to have formed?
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby commando » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 1:47 pm

Remember this one ?
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 6:26 am

commando wrote:Remember this one ?

We pulled out of a planned trip up there at the same time due to the weather. There is a lot more to that story. Found on a ledge by the Channel 7 chopper and then taken to Bright Hospital with a sprained ankle. Bright hospital was not able to deal with his injury well enough so he was air lifted to Melbourne for further treatment.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 11:13 pm

sooner or later everyone does a solo trip, but out there in winter solo is folly.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 6:27 am

commando wrote:sooner or later everyone does a solo trip, but out there in winter solo is folly.

I haven't done a solo trip for a long time now I have a good walking partner but winter solo trips are common and OK if you know what you are doing. Tim Holding did not know what he was doing and made poor decisions IMO.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 2:47 pm

I have ascended Mt. Feathertop from an established camp site at Fed. hut, solo , in the dark in June snow and ice, to watch the sunrise from the Mt.FT summit. I had micro spikes, an ice axe and a head torch, plus PLB, mob.ph. spare food , water ,
, extra jacket etc. in my day pack. I know the route really well and the weather was totally clear and suitable for such a memorable solo mission. I knew what I was doing. Who dares wins ;-P .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi Paidal
I was referring to suit-wearing Politicians not experienced capable guides.
We did some fall arrest practice with ice axes on the west side of Mt Feathertop one winter
my two other friends said it looked dangerous when i was doing barrel rolls with an ice axe in hand
practice has to be real...
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 7:22 pm

I know how to use an ice axe for self arrest, cutting steps, traverses with three points of contact on the icy surface etc. and some other things but I am mainly Back country XC ski touring the Bogong High Plains , that is usually in a normal white season .So an ice axe is not necessary for that activity. I have been seen with a whippet self arrest ski pole. You can do yourself a mischief with one of those too , esp. if you are not careful.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria