One Planet Zipless Day Pack - Who's Using One?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One Planet Zipless Day Pack - Who's Using One?

Postby paul_hianz » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 10:28 am

I'm considering buying a Zipless to replace my mouldy ol' Mountain Design Outrace day pack which has lived a long and good life.

Anyone wearing one? Good? Bad? Thoughts?
Mostly a day hiker who's done more multi-days in NZ than in Aus. When not hiking I'm making merino gear at Ottie Merino.
paul_hianz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: One Planet Zipless Day Pack - Who's Using One?

Postby J M » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 2:10 pm

I've used one almost every day for the last few years (bike commuting to uni/work, day walks etc.)

I like it - simple and durable enough that it'll probably outlast me.

Would I recommend it? Depends what you're looking for in a bag. For longer day walks or where you're carrying a heavier load, the hip strap doesn't really do much so you can end up with sore shoulders. If you pack poorly, things will poke you in the back. Your back will also be sweaty.

That being said, I still like it. But if I did more day walks I'd probably get something closer to an osprey-style bag.
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paul_hianz » Thu 30 Jun, 2022 9:50 pm

Update

Bought one a few months back. Not only the best day pack I've used, it's the best pack full stop I have owned. I'm in Spain at the moment and it's an absolute workhorse. Day hikes. It'll be used when I do some sections of a Camino de Santiago route soon—a good size for 'inn to inn' type hiking, or even an overnight or short multi-day if your gear ain't too bulky, or on hikes that are well-equipped with hut infrastructure like those in NZ. We throw in the beach towels, sunscreen, cans of beer, and head to the beach—getting caked in sand doesn't phase it. It gets tromped around the towns, carrying groceries. I use it daily and love it.

Here's a wee review I wrote on it:

https://ottie.com.au/blogs/merino-yarns ... ss-daypack
Mostly a day hiker who's done more multi-days in NZ than in Aus. When not hiking I'm making merino gear at Ottie Merino.
paul_hianz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Avatar » Thu 30 Jun, 2022 11:31 pm

I've used one nearly every day for 12+ years for heavy loads, 10kg, for work over couple km each day. Comfortable shoulder straps adjust easily. No signs of wear. Robust and quick to use. I've washed it once and it's due for another as the main tote is a bit grubby. Just warm water is recommended for this canvas. Recommended.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment