Most epic 2 nights in Grampians?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Most epic 2 nights in Grampians?

Postby pjmurray » Fri 02 Oct, 2020 4:14 pm

Hey all,

Am taking the girlfriend for her first hike/camp trip. She's a very capable hiker - happily do 20-30km in a day. But shes never been hike in camping!

Taking her to Grampians next weekend. What would be the most epic route for her? (full disclosure, I've never been either, but plenty of camping experience)

Right now my best plan:
Day 1: Borough huts to Bugiga, set up camp and then do sunset loop to sundail lookout. We will get a ride from halls gap to borough to save what Ive heard is a boring section (or I'll drop her off and run it)
Day 2: Bugiga => Halls Gap, DRIVE to Buandik and then hike in to Fortress bush camp. Camp there.
Day 3: Hike out

What I love? Doing some of the highlights reel and then combining it with some more adventure / bush camping experience.
What I don't love? Having to go back to the car and drive in the middle of Day 2.

Any better ideas? The other one I was considering is Major Mitchell?

It's worth noting - we have two days prior in Halls Gap so could do some of the more popular routes as (half)day hikes while we're there.

Any and all advice is really appreciated.
pjmurray
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Most epic 2 nights in Grampians?

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 02 Oct, 2020 5:00 pm

I think Major Mitchel Plateau might be partially closed for GPT work. You might be able to do an in and out from Sheepyard to First Wannon.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bill P » Sun 11 Oct, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi PJ the Grampians are wonderful, and the wild flowers are in full bloom right now.
Your indicated plan combines two walks on opposite sides of the park. It takes a fair bit of time to get across to the other side. It could be a tad ambitious to do both with someone on their first hike/camp trip. However theyre both established walks and theres plenty of daylight nowadays. Mm plateau has had a lot of trackwork done recently and is a popular overnight walk. Good rain this last week will mean water is available on top. Whatever you choose im sure you will enjoy it .
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 17 Oct, 2020 5:30 pm

The MM plateau walk requires a booking of the campsite, in advance as do most Grampians overnight hikes. There will be more chance of water being found up there now than later into the daylight savings period. I took some hikers up there before they made into a nanny state tourist walk. The rocky ascent up onto the plateau near the campsite( coming from Mt. William) was a real scramble and not for beginners with a heavy pack. I would imagine that section is now all ability access type stuff with hand rails, steps, endless fireproof signage solar operated wheelchair lift (sic) etc.
The Mt. Difficult circuit has much interest for all walkers .If you start at Beehive Falls then it is about 9 km to Mt. Difficult. You never know how even fit people will go if they have never carried an overnight pack.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 18 Oct, 2020 7:47 pm

No handrails or solar operated lifts have been added to the climb to the plateau. Fireproof signage would clearly be a good thing but perhaps remains a goal rather than a reality.

Steps have been added to the Mt Difficult route allowing those with no aptitude or inclination for scrambling to see The Grampians on foot, a very good thing.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Victoria