Seeking info: 'Grand Traverse' McLeans Pass to Newnes

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Seeking info: 'Grand Traverse' McLeans Pass to Newnes

Postby YoungCodger » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 3:48 pm

I read an article which mentioned '...the Grand Traverse, a 3 day walk between the top of the Wolgan Valley and ending near the hotel in the Wolgan Valley.'

I contacted the author with a few questions. She was friendly but didn't offer anything concrete:
'...there are passes you need to know or you'll get stuck.
...it really is too difficult to explain.'

Does anyone have any leads? The line the traverse takes on a map would be a great start. From there I could research everything and poke a round a bit when I head to Newnes tomorrow.

Thanks!
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Seeking info: 'Grand Traverse' McLeans Pass to Newnes

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 7:47 pm

I'm assuming they mean the high traverse of the wolgan valley.

It's completely off track, features very challenging pass finding, scarse to non existent water and I think falls under the avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks forum rules especially due to the very fragile rock formations along the route.

Sorry not trying to be a spoilsport but it's the sort of place best expored with a bushwalking club and not posted on the internet like donkey mountain has been.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 10:08 pm

I assume the walk you mean is along the Wolgan-Capertee divide? If thats the case - then it is not hard to see the basic route you would need to follow - just look at a map and see the divide between the catchments. The complications arise when you look at a more detailed view - as there are a series of gaps or chasms to cross. Some of them do require route finding and basic scrambling. Its part of the challenge of the walk to find your way. Its probably wise to explore part of the country first - eg shorter walks from each end, to get a feel for the country. Except in drought - you can usually find water fairly high up - but you need to know the sort of places to look.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Sat 24 Oct, 2020 9:54 am

I'd echo Dave's comments about exploring the ends of the walk first.

Some truly excellent walking lies at the south-west end (around Baal Bone Gap, Mt McLean, McLeans Pass, Point Cameron) and the north-east end (Little Capertee Creek, Mt Dawson, Red Rocks, Point Nicholson). I've done a through trip only once, but have done around 12 overnight trips in the 2 areas at ends. There is so much to see and explore, and it will give you a good basis for doing a through trip at a later date.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby YoungCodger » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 10:12 am

tom_brennan wrote:I'd echo Dave's comments about exploring the ends of the walk first.

Some truly excellent walking lies at the south-west end (around Baal Bone Gap, Mt McLean, McLeans Pass, Point Cameron) and the north-east end (Little Capertee Creek, Mt Dawson, Red Rocks, Point Nicholson). I've done a through trip only once, but have done around 12 overnight trips in the 2 areas at ends. There is so much to see and explore, and it will give you a good basis for doing a through trip at a later date.

Thanks everyone!

I won't post anything further on the topic.
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT