Pretty Jimmy Hut

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Pretty Jimmy Hut

Postby crollsurf » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 8:21 am

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge they could share of Pretty Jimmy Hut in the Bondo State Forest, near Canberra.
I'd like to visit the hut and take some photos in case whats left is totally destroyed by bush fire. The Koscuiszko Huts map shows it in bush on a tributary of Emu Flat Creek but I'm almost certain it's not there. I have a few hunches to where it might be but hoping someone may be able to narrow down it's location.

Also intend to visit Kells Hut, Venables Hut and Dubbo Creek Falls at the same time.

Regards,
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Pretty Jimmy Hut

Postby Zapruda » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 9:29 am

You would have been very disappointed if you went to Bondo searching for it. The location of Pretty Jimmy on the KHA interactive map is completely wrong. Pretty Jimmy hut ruin and its old horse yard are actually located on the west bank of the Eucumbene river north of Lake Jindabyne. The hut was being managed as a ruin by NPWS and apparently was standing in 1981. I'm not sure of its current status.

Here are the actual Refs - 55H 0646077 15984937 and its location on the map - https://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-36.27 ... 3754792633

Ill contact someone to get that fixed.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby crollsurf » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks Zapruda.

I noticed in my wanderings there is also a Jimmys Hut built by Jim Bolton in 1915 in that area, in fact there are a number of pioneer huts on private property on the Snowy Plain, Bulmanns and Amos Huts among others. https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?id=2410185

Also found some info about the Wallace family who's son Frederick and his son Gordon, probably built Pretty Jimmy Hut. http://www.monaropioneers.com/Wallace-George.htm

I'll plan to pay a visit another time, part of a multi-day walk in that general area. If anyone knows more, I be interested and feel free to PM if you don't want to post here.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Tue 27 Oct, 2020 4:05 pm

A bit more info on Pretty Jimmy

Built 1932‐3 by Whatlings & Wallaces (local graziers). Dates of 15/9/32 and 6/7/33 are evident above the fireplace with names or intitials of the builders.
The hut is shown (unnamed & already existing) on the 1943 Snow Lease Lithograph 2, on Block U5 of450 acres, leased by JH and James Bolton as a permissive ocupancy. 1952 Snow Lease Lithograph shows EE Weston leasing U5 as a permissive occupancy.
It is not knownwhether either lessee used the hut.
The presence of modern cliplock cladding indicates post‐grazig adaptation; the riverside location suggests likely fishing use.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 28 Oct, 2020 1:14 pm

Thanks again Zupruda,

I inquired about the hut through the National Parks, they didn't know but got back to me later. They said the hut is on private land and is a ruin and no longer standing.
Lithograph 2 you mention is not online but I'll try and chase it up through State Library of NSW unless someone already has a copy. It's partner map, (Kiandra to Tumorrama) is online and very interesting in regards to the names of the lease holders back in the day. You can download that map at https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-2137219120/view?tab=tab-download

Seeing as it is on private land and there is not much left of the hut, I'm not going to bother paying a visit.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Thu 10 Dec, 2020 12:29 pm

After an unsuccessful attempt to photograph the map, I forked out the $42 and got the Library to scan "Ligthograph 2", which is a map of the Southern Snow Leases of the KNP. It's out of copyright so can be freely distributed. The link is to a 15MB jpg file which I created from the 400MB tif file the Library provide. If you really want the 400MB file, just PM me

EDIT: Easier link is the now on the KHA site https://khuts.org/index.php/heritage-guest/grazing-and-pastoral/1603-snow-leases-map-1945
Right mouse click on map to download the full 15MB map
Last edited by crollsurf on Thu 10 Dec, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 10 Dec, 2020 12:43 pm

crollsurf wrote:After an unsuccessful attempt to photograph the map, I forked out the $42 and got the Library to scan "Ligthograph 2", which is a map of the Southern Snow Leases of the KNP. It's out of copyright so can be freely distributed. The link is to a 15MB jpg file which I created from the 400MB tif file the Library provide. If you really want the 400MB file, just PM me

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag_a8prkViSBguxsxLjdq-81epNmHw

FYI the unusual link is the link to the file on my OneDrive account.

That map is great! Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Crollsurf.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT