Main Range walk - Kosciuszko

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Main Range walk - Kosciuszko

Postby hairypanic » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 11:51 am

Hi,

Got a spare weekend on the 7th/8th Nov.
Was thinking of doing the Main Range walk on Kosciuszko.

Haven't been up there before so just checking if anyone has been there recently to know the track conditions, the only thing I have to go off is the charlottes pass snow cams which show tiny bits of snow around. Just wanting to know if the creek crossing should be possible at this time of year or if there are other sections that might not be passable without decent gear or any other suggestions for the walk.
I've only done a bit of hiking in the snow with no equipment before.

Thanks
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Main Range walk - Kosciuszko

Postby Zapruda » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 1:36 pm

The snow is melting fast this year because of the rain and warmer weather. I haven't seen the Main Range this snow free at this time of the year for ages.

There are still snowdrifts on the track near Muellers pass but they aren't anything to worry about. Just don't cross them first thing in the morning when they are icy.

The Snowy river crossing below Charlotte Pass is fine, you wont have a problem. It may rise quickly if it has been raining heavily.

Because of the above I suggest you do the walk counter clockwise from Charlotte Pass. That way you can cross the Snowy straightaway and cross the snow drifts in the arvo when they are soft.

There is snow in the forecast for next weekend and temps will be dropping dramatically. Be prepared and have proper wet weather gear, warm clothing and a appropriate tent and sleeping bag if you are camping overnight. If the wind picks up it can get very uncomfortable.

Use this closer to departure to judge the weather - http://www.bom.gov.au/places/nsw/thredb ... /detailed/

Its a stunning walk. Enjoy!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Main Range walk - Kosciuszko

Postby hairypanic » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 11:43 am

Great, thanks for that
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria