Goose Down

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Goose Down

Postby commando » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 4:14 pm

Some real Goose Down up close and personal after visiting the Walter Smith Reserve in Riddells Creek
only the very brave dare venture in there with a loaf of bread as the 40 odd geese launch at you.
Every bushwalkers favourite material.

g1.jpg
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Goose Down

Postby Mark F » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 4:59 pm

Sorry to disappoint. All but the partially shown cluster at the bottom of the second photo are feather, not down. Down does not have the well developed central quill/spine. You can pick up clues about the down/feather blend in products by rubbing the filling between your fingers (through the fabric). The more quill you feel the more feather and less down.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 6:23 pm

Not even the worst bed quilt would be advertised as down with feathers of that kind.
It would be called feather doona or similar.
This is down
850-fill-power-goose-down.jpg

description_image_description_image_down-vs-feather.jpg
description_image_description_image_down-vs-feather.jpg (24.41 KiB) Viewed 15237 times

to be a bit more specific, when you get the specs from a reputable brand with the tipycal 90/10 mix (90% down/10% feathers) by feathers they mean that it is possible that up to 10% of the content will look like the feather on the right, at worst. (the smaller one....)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 7:24 pm

NatureHike is advertising a 1000FP jacket (with attached picture of lab report on the fill power). Ethics aside, is this FP possible?

https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/4000367324640.html
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby commando » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 7:29 pm

I know its feather i just wanted to find the forum police.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 7:40 pm

I wouldn't be feeding bread in this day and age but while ducks are fun geese have always been a nasty business. Then there's the swans...
Last edited by CraigVIC on Wed 11 Nov, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CraigVIC

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 7:57 pm

Geese do roast up nicely tho or make wonderful cassoulet
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 6:44 am

If correcting wrong information makes me a forum policeman, so be it.
At least I did not comment about feeding bread to the birds , but of course that comment was also intentionaly posted to provoke wasn't it (not) ?
There are forum sections for intentionaly funny or would be funny posts.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 8:31 am

CraigVIC wrote:NatureHike is advertising a 1000FP jacket (with attached picture of lab report on the fill power). Ethics aside, is this FP possible?

https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/4000367324640.html

Montbell (Arcteryx) have been selling this stuff-what Euros would call 950 for a while I believe. Whether Naturehike or any other company is using it I suppose might be up for conjecture? Montbell charges like a bull for it and the Naturehike one is 'created in it's style'.
On another point I did read somewhere that up to about the 850CUIN (900FP) was the upper limit for obtaining both easily and ethically sourced down.
I wonder if that's true?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 8:39 am

Yes, I had read the same so it surprised me to see such an ambitious claim, especially with the little report added. I'm not intending to find out in either case but there has to be an upper limit given there's no new geese under the sun.
CraigVIC

Postby Lamont » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 9:19 am

Climashield Apex is good stuff. Not sure of the toxicity in the long run though-so far I think (?) seems positive.
Is that the stuff of the future? Wish we could buy it in Oz.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Mark F » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 11:21 am

Be aware that the US system for testing the filling power of down delivers a higher number than the European version of the test - about a difference of about 100 at the upper ends of the scale. What can also affect the results is the pre conditioning of the down for the test including making sure it is very (unnaturally) dry.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 11:27 am

Fom the WM FAQ
"Western Mountaineering is specialized enough that we can ask for our suppliers to give us the best down they can get. This creates an average yield that is almost always above 900 fill power. We state 850+ on our products because even though the down tests out at 900 or over, the ‘real’ loft power is different. Once the down is inside a bag or jacket baffle it is compressed slightly by the fabric. Loft is also affected by real world humidity conditions that are not present during loft testing."
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 12:03 pm

CraigVIC wrote:I wouldn't be feeding bread in this day and age but while ducks are fun geese have always been a nasty business. Then there's the swans...

same for potato chips.
Still so many think they do birds a favour feeding them stuff like that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 12:50 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-17/ ... n/11316984

I saw these geese not long before their relocation. I'm not afraid of birds but they were incredibly aggressive and persistent. And the people having their important visitor experience were feeding them not only potato chips but also lollies etc. A disturbing scene all round
CraigVIC

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 3:17 pm

CraigVIC wrote:NatureHike is advertising a 1000FP jacket (with attached picture of lab report on the fill power). Ethics aside, is this FP possible?

My S2S ApII came with a copy of the test certificate for the batch from which the down was taken. It was somewhere over 950 (EUN).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby commando » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 2:47 pm

Photos update
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 7:05 pm

My S2S ApII came with a copy of the test certificate for the batch from which the down was taken. It was somewhere over 950 (EUN).

Do you think it's a straight relationship NNW, I mean if you have 600 fp and 900fp is the 900 150% warmer for the same weight?
CraigVIC

Postby north-north-west » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 7:49 pm

No idea. Just because I act like a goose sometimes does not make me any sort of expert on goose down.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Sat 14 Nov, 2020 7:03 am

From several posts I have seen in various forums, including results from tests, it seems that you would need twice as much of the 500 to get the same insulation you get from the 1000 (I am using those numbers for convinience...) This would be the loft is everything scenario.
However in practice the 900 fill in high humidity could collapse a lot more than the one from a 600 fill giving you less insulation than it should. The same could be from dirt/sweat/oils.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Nov, 2020 7:11 am

It's also possible that the needs of garments are very different to the needs of sleeping bags and that the "old" standard of 650FP down is still the optimum for clothing.
In my own real world testing of my own sleeping bag over 3 decades I found very little performance difference between 900FP down and the old "Superdown" that was probably only 550FP, weight difference was the big factor. I did however Nikwax my bag when I bought it on the advice of the maker [Steve from J&H]
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Nov, 2020 7:16 am

Also I think Commandos first post was very much "Tongue in cheek" and written to get a response; which seems to have worked.
Those geese look prime candidates for the pot IMO the best place for them.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 14 Nov, 2020 9:43 am

I had a look at what PHD is using now.
For their -59c Omega suit they use 900 fill with a 950 fill option that, according to PHD, adds 4c to the rating.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby luckylucy » Tue 17 Nov, 2020 9:09 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but...
I am debating on whether I should purchase Macpac's Ember HyperDRY™ Down Jacket (women's).
https://www.macpac.com.au/clearance/wom ... RANCE.html
Mostly, I plan to wear it leisurely around town and commute in colder months in NZ, but also for the occasional bushwalk in winter and travel. The price seems to be of fairly good value as it is on clearance now for $300.
I love to be toasty warm but would the specs of this jacket be too unnecessary for me?
Some specs:
Fill Type 90/10 RDS HyperDRY™ Goose Down
Fill Power (cuin) 700
Fill Weight (g) 245 (Size 10)
I'm an absolute novice in the down jacket department so would love to hear your opinions, recommendations and whether you think it would be a suitable purchase.
Thank you!
luckylucy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 18 Nov, 2020 2:57 pm

luckylucy wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to post this but...
I am debating on whether I should purchase Macpac's Ember HyperDRY™ Down Jacket (women's).
https://www.macpac.com.au/clearance/wom ... RANCE.html
Mostly, I plan to wear it leisurely around town and commute in colder months in NZ, but also for the occasional bushwalk in winter and travel. The price seems to be of fairly good value as it is on clearance now for $300.
I love to be toasty warm but would the specs of this jacket be too unnecessary for me?
Some specs:
Fill Type 90/10 RDS HyperDRY™ Goose Down
Fill Power (cuin) 700
Fill Weight (g) 245 (Size 10)
I'm an absolute novice in the down jacket department so would love to hear your opinions, recommendations and whether you think it would be a suitable purchase.
Thank you!

Seems nice and warm. Should be fine for commuting etc. Id also check how robust it is. You dont want to snag it on someones umbrella/handbag while getting off the bus and have feathers floating everywhere.

Only issue I have with down and NZ is rain. It rains a lot and when down gets wet you get cold quickly and it takes a day+ to dry. So that may be a factor if your using it to go tramping etc. or if you dont have a big enough umbrella for your commute.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby commando » Thu 19 Nov, 2020 12:40 am

Goose down for $300, there is nothing to consider, its time to buy one, and start the love affair.
Taking into consideration that goose down is the the warmest per weight fill on earth
and usually considered the Rolls Royce of fill. That jacket appears to be made for some wet weather
conditions as well and would be a perfect choice for places like sub-antarctic Macquarie island.
I usually go through one down jacket per year as i rip them on sharp objects and when i get
sick of seeing too much silicone seal to stop the duck down coming out, i get another one.
Not an overkill for NZ but going to Mt Cook or Arthurs Pass it will come into its own dimension.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 22 Nov, 2020 5:24 pm

Actually it's not goose down but the down from wild Eider ducks that has the greatest warmth to weight ratio; but with the hard labour needed to hand process Eiderdown it is a very, very expensive alternative
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Sun 22 Nov, 2020 6:54 pm

CraigVIC wrote:if you have 600 fp and 900fp is the 900 150% warmer for the same weight?

I assume you meant to write "50%", Craig.

The relationship is not quite so simple. Consider two ways in which you could use 900fp down.

You could use less 900fp down in the same item, to achieve the same loft with lower overall item weight. However, the item will lose more of its insultating power when under light compression (compared to the one with 600fp down) since there's less down to resist the compression.

Or, you could use the same weight of 900fp down, to achieve higher performance. However, the item would then need larger down pockets to accommodate the increased loft. The structure of the item would weigh a little more due to the larger internal baffles needed.

It's still well worth it though, to buy the highest performance down you can get within your budget.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ricrunner » Thu 26 Nov, 2020 9:34 pm

Tell me , do they have to kill the animal to get the down?
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ribuck » Fri 27 Nov, 2020 3:18 am

ricrunner wrote:Tell me , do they have to kill the animal to get the down?

It depends. Live plucking used to be a common thing, but it's considered cruel. "Ethical" down comes from animals that are being killed for other reasons, including for meat, or in some cases is gathered from nests where it has been naturally shed. Naturally-shed down is really expensive.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment