Bushwalk Australia Calendar 2021

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Bushwalk Australia Calendar 2021

Postby wildwalks » Sat 19 Dec, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi All

Every year we produce this awesome Bushwalk Australia Calendar -- here is 2021
The images are selected from each of the photo comps.
You can buy via Paypal, check out the PDF link below if you want to view it online.

Matt :)

$16 including postage in AU.

View PDF
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Re: Bushwalk Australia Calendar 2021

Postby ribuck » Sat 19 Dec, 2020 7:58 pm

Congratulations to all the photographers. It looks like NNW and eggs should go into the calendar business!
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wildwalks » Sun 20 Dec, 2020 9:14 am

ribuck wrote:Congratulations to all the photographers. It looks like NNW and eggs should go into the calendar business!

too true -- they are always front and centre -- love their work :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby safari » Wed 23 Dec, 2020 5:00 pm

Received mine today, looks kick *&%$#!. A constant reminder next year of my luck to be living in and moving on foot through our fantastic nation.
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 28 Dec, 2020 8:16 am

It's been a long term issue on this site but it would be much more meaningful if more than 20 people voted or if more than 1 or 2 entries were made. There were quite a few months this year where only 1 entry was submitted.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwalks » Tue 29 Dec, 2020 1:08 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:It's been a long term issue on this site but it would be much more meaningful if more than 20 people voted or if more than 1 or 2 entries were made. There were quite a few months this year where only 1 entry was submitted.

I agree
This year has been down partly due to COIVD so more extreme than usual but agree the numbers are much lower then the images deserve.

any suggestions on how we encourage more people to vote? (thinking if more people vote - maybe more people will enter??)
any suggestions very welcome.
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby beardless » Tue 29 Dec, 2020 2:06 pm

wildwalks wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:It's been a long term issue on this site but it would be much more meaningful if more than 20 people voted or if more than 1 or 2 entries were made. There were quite a few months this year where only 1 entry was submitted.

I agree
This year has been down partly due to COIVD so more extreme than usual but agree the numbers are much lower then the images deserve.

any suggestions on how we encourage more people to vote? (thinking if more people vote - maybe more people will enter??)
any suggestions very welcome.

I love this forum with so many really knowledgeable bushwalkers willing to share under organised topics with a good search function. There are also many inspiring photographers who are members.

I enter when I have photos and remember. I just have been trail running more than walking lately.

I think the decline might be down to some members participating less (who might be sharing elsewhere or not at all) and members not knowing about the cut off dates or how to enter.

There are also three things which are not perfect for photos on the forum which might assist people entering.
1. The main one is photos have to be resized by the uploader. This takes time and might be difficult for some. It would be better if you could upload and the photo was compressed automatically.
2. The colours displayed on the forum often differ and less vibrant than the initial file uploaded.
3. Portrait oriented photos appear bigger than landscape oriented photos as the size is governed by the width. This means landscape oriented photos often don't look as good in the competitions.

The second two are just a bit annoying, but addressing all of them and more promotion so more members know about it might help.

My favourite image for this calendar is for February - Morning Mist on the Starfish by North-North-West
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby wildwalks » Tue 29 Dec, 2020 4:16 pm

yes, there is a gentle decline in forums generally as people migrate to facebook and credit. I have a few plans to up the membership here over time, but that is a long progress.

ohh yes,
1) should be easy (just need to think about file storage -- site is already huge)
2) will look into it (I think this is due to a png file conversion, not sure why we do this)
3) that should be fixable

agree that 1 is an issue creating friction to uploading.
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 30 Dec, 2020 6:04 am

Maybe move the photo comp to the top menu.(above general discussion) Currently it's hidden in gallery and easy to forget about. (I never remember to look)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwalks » Wed 30 Dec, 2020 8:43 am

Hum -- good idea wildwanderer.
Maybe when voting starts we can make a 'sticky' one there or on top of all forums and test that.
I will look into that.

(we do run the 'ad' with photos in the banner -- but I wonder if too many people think it is an ad and just ignore it :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby bunyips » Wed 30 Dec, 2020 11:17 am

Hi People,
Have been a member of Bushwalk for a few years now and only just realised there is a photo comp at all!!!! Will make an effort to post pics and vote from now on :)
bunyips
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Return to Bushwalking Discussion