Tor Creek (NOT Mt Tor)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Tor Creek (NOT Mt Tor)

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 2:25 pm

As described in a recent post to this topic, I did a bit of a walk along Tor Creek yesterday (it was originally planned to climb up Mt Tor, but that didn't work out).

As I climbed up onto this log jam, from the downstream side, I saw a platypus lazily swinging it's tail in a somersault sticking out of the water. Despite waiting quietly for a while, it never reappeared. But the log jam had created a rather pretty pool, with the logs causing the creek to split into 3, as it made its way out through the logs in different places.
DSCF2829.jpg
DSCF2829.jpg (127.6 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

The same pool and log jam as seen from upstream:
DSCF2826.jpg
DSCF2826.jpg (160.38 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

A bit further upstream again, I started encountering a lot of Horizontal scrub. At the point where this next photo was taken, I was getting in the the thick of it, and apart from going out the way I came in, this was the easiest way through and the photo shows exactly the direction I went next - I ended up climbing up and over from this point to the far side of what ended up being quite an extensive Horizontal thicket:
DSCF2830.jpg
DSCF2830.jpg (215.85 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

Looking back down Tor Creek once I eventually got out of the Horizontal, by climbing it right over the creek:
DSCF2834.jpg
DSCF2834.jpg (194.66 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

A wooden waterfall (ie, over a large fallen tree) about half way back along Tor Creek, just near where I dropped my mate's expensive UHF radio in the creek:
DSCF2841.jpg
DSCF2841.jpg (168.31 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Tor Creek (NOT Mt Tor)

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 8:26 am

I've now got the photos from delphin's camera (who I left fishing at Dempster Creek), so here's a few more from him...

Fording Dempster Creek:
P4120026.jpg
P4120026.jpg (134.57 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

All that's left of the Dempster Creek Bridge:
P4120028.jpg
P4120028.jpg (134.97 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

(Compare to Tastrekker's photo of more of the bridge remains a few years ago HERE.)

Wading across the Leven River:
P4120030.jpg
P4120030.jpg (128.43 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

When wading across at the start, I borrowed delphin's spare set of waders, to keep my legs and feet dry. This ended up making wading a lot more difficult, without good boots, and with a lot more for the water to push against. On the return trip, when already saturated, I waded across in just my boots and thermals, and it was a lot easier.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 9:29 am

Great post Nik....Coming from Victoria where we are still in drought it is great to see all that beautiful Tassie water (even if you got wet!)
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 9:14 pm

Gees sob you were game carrying your boots in one hand with that much water against you ,I normally tie the laces together and sling them round my neck.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 9:28 pm

corvus wrote:Gees sob you were game carrying your boots in one hand with that much water against you ,I normally tie the laces together and sling them round my neck.

Mate, I was so absent minded about everything with preparing for this walk. It's no surprise I didn't get very far. I'd brought two different maps with me - a close up of the Dempster Creek area for my fishing mate, and the full map for me. As I was about to head off to leave the ute, my mate calls me back to tell me I've taken his map and left mine behind for him.

Doh!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes