Game: Where-is-it (Aussie)

Competitions, photo games, and other forum hosted games.
Forum rules
Only administrators may post new topics to this forum. Registered users can post replies.

Re: Game: Where-is-it (Aussie)

Postby Zapruda » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 2:20 pm

johnw wrote:
Zapruda wrote:I propose a new rule for the game. If you don't have a picture at hand then you don't answer the question. Thoughts?

Most of the original rules were reasonably well thought out. But they are not well known to other than longstanding players, so are rarely brought into play.
Hence there can sometimes be long delays. Or newer players try to make up their own rules on the fly, causing confusion.
There's an existing rule allowing the winner 24 hours to post a new image. I think that is reasonable.
I've noticed many people take advantage of that and sometimes comment that they need time to find a suitable image.
Similarly most of my photos are on my desktop at home. I have a very limited amount on my phone (of lesser quality) and also very limited mobile access, so it would reduce my participation.
Bottom line, I think it may further slow down an already very slow game. I do think it would be good to have a faster moving game through a greater number of players.
That was the case when the photo games were originally set up, but even the Tassie version has slowed considerably. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks John. Good points. I have linked the rules a couple of times the past few months but I’m guessing they have been ignored.

I think the 24hr rule is a good one and we should all do our best to jump in and keep the game going when that time has passed.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby eggs » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 2:31 pm

Were you on Carruthers?
No idea on your object.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby peregrinator » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 2:54 pm

Zapruda wrote:I propose a new rule for the game. If you don't have a picture at hand then you don't answer the question. Thoughts?

Makes sense. But in this instance, not having a picture available was perhaps not the reason for the game pausing for five days. The person who correctly supplied the last answer wrote: “Anyone else can take a turn. Giving a lurker a chance to post.” I.e. possibly hoping to have a picture supplied by someone other than a usual player.

So if I understand this correctly, a rule addressing that contingency would presumably have to be that when an invitation of that kind is not accepted, the offer gets withdrawn after 24 or 48 hours, and the next picture has to be posted by the person who made the invitation.

All a bit complicated, I know, but all a bit dependent on the number of members playing the game at a given time. January might be the worst possible time for numbers?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 3:29 pm

peregrinator wrote:

Makes sense. But in this instance, not having a picture available was perhaps not the reason for the game pausing for five days. The person who correctly supplied the last answer wrote: “Anyone else can take a turn. Giving a lurker a chance to post.” I.e. possibly hoping to have a picture supplied by someone other than a usual player.

So if I understand this correctly, a rule addressing that contingency would presumably have to be that when an invitation of that kind is not accepted, the offer gets withdrawn after 24 or 48 hours, and the next picture has to be posted by the person who made the invitation.

All a bit complicated, I know, but all a bit dependent on the number of members playing the game at a given time. January might be the worst possible time for numbers?

The existing rules already provide for a forfeit if the winner hasn't posted a new image after 24 hours. Anyone at all is then free to post next on a first-in basis. In saying that the playing fraternity has often informally allowed a "grace" period beyond 24 hours. I don't see that as a problem except when it drags out into days as in the recent example. In reality anyone was free to post next, but commando was aiming (I think) to introduce some "new blood". It's a commendable idea but unfortunately rarely works from my recollection, and usually results in a stalemate. Not sure if January is any worse; early in the month possibly as many people are away (at least pre-Covid that was the case :roll:).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 3:36 pm

eggs wrote:Were you on Carruthers?
No idea on your object.

I'm actually curious about the object myself eggs as I have no idea either.
I'm well off track here. I walked over Carruthers maybe an hour or more later on my way out to Charlotte Pass.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 5:06 pm

Deleted
Last edited by commando on Wed 27 Jan, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby johnw » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 6:20 pm

commando wrote:There is no takers and a bit of chatter, so next up,

Save that one commando. I took up the offer so there is a photo currently in play, per the previous page.
Repeating the image below as we've scrolled onto a new one.

OK, to get things moving again what spot did I visit a few weeks ago in NSW?
And does anyone know the purpose/history of the object on the right?
P1030794 resized.JPG
Remnant "well" at c1950s SMA gauging station site near the outlet of Lake Albina as it drops into Lady Northcote's Canyon,
Kosciuskzo NP via Charlotte Pass NSW
Last edited by johnw on Thu 28 Jan, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 7:05 pm

Looks like you could be climbing Townsend from the saddle between it and Abbot peak?

I think I have seen similar objects on the Main Range. Was it filled with concrete? I’ll do some research and let you know what it is.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 8:51 pm

Zapruda wrote:Looks like you could be climbing Townsend from the saddle between it and Abbot peak?

I think I have seen similar objects on the Main Range. Was it filled with concrete? I’ll do some research and let you know what it is.

I walked out past a very busy Townsend to another peak before descending to here, but it wasn't Abbott. I managed to aggravate an old knee injury so didn't explore the object up close.
There is some zoom in the shot. It needed a short but steep scramble to visit and I was already hurting, with a fair distance remaining to finish the walk.
It appeared to be filled with rocks at the top, but I had the same thought that it may have also been filled with concrete.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 9:47 pm

I suspect this is near the outlet of Lake Albina.
In which case - it might be some kind for ventilation shaft for some hydro tunnels deep below.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 2:17 am

Very unlikely that it’s a ventilation shaft. It seems like there would be many more scattered across the range if that were the case. One random shaft doesn’t make much sense.

If it is near lake Albina it could be part of the old Albina lodge up there or part of a gauging station. Maybe even part of a rudimentary ski tow.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 7:21 am

Could it be the ruins of a Weather Station built on Mount Townsend in the sixties?
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 8:17 am

If it’s full of concrete maybe an anker of some sort. Did they run stock in that area at anytime?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 8:21 am

puredingo wrote:If it’s full of concrete maybe an anker of some sort. Did they run stock in that area at anytime?

Yep, they absolutely did.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 10:01 am

eggs wrote:I suspect this is near the outlet of Lake Albina.
In which case - it might be some kind for ventilation shaft for some hydro tunnels deep below.

Zapruda wrote:Very unlikely that it’s a ventilation shaft. It seems like there would be many more scattered across the range if that were the case. One random shaft doesn’t make much sense.

If it is near lake Albina it could be part of the old Albina lodge up there or part of a gauging station. Maybe even part of a rudimentary ski tow.

crollsurf wrote:Could it be the ruins of a Weather Station built on Mount Townsend in the sixties?

Zapruda wrote:
puredingo wrote:If it’s full of concrete maybe an anker of some sort. Did they run stock in that area at anytime?

Yep, they absolutely did.

Thanks everyone for your input on my mystery object. In hindsight I now wish I'd bothered to get a closer look, regardless of aching knee. My thoughts are it's probably too far from Townsend to be related to the old weather station. I also agree it's unlikely a ventilation shaft. I did consider possibly something to do with the old Albina Lodge, but from photos I've seen that appeared to be some distance from this spot. A grazing related object seems possible and I've found plenty of evidence of that elsewhere around the main range. Further ideas welcome and I'll start trawling through my books and maps to see if they yield any clues.

Bottom line for the photo location - yes eggs you are 100% correct. I'm standing on a rock in the middle of the Lake Albina outlet where it then drops steeply into Lady Northcote's Canyon.
Apart from the knee issue I had a lovely day's wander around the range, initially via the old Kosci Rd, skipped past Kosci with a billion people on it. Headed out towards Townsend from Muellers Pass.
Skipped that peak also, with more people on it than I've ever seen. I doubt you could social distance at the summit! Finally found peace and quiet on Alice Rawson and plotted a direct route back to the MRT and Charlotte Pass via Albina.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 10:12 am

With that clarification I found the answer in about 2 seconds.

It is a well that was part of the Northcote Creek SMA Gauging Station (SGS).

This comes from a private database I have access to.
Attachments
02109516-F4DE-41E3-BC4D-1BBF372198AE.jpeg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 10:24 am

Zapruda wrote:With that clarification I found the answer in about 2 seconds.

It is a well that was part of the Northcote Creek SGS.

This comes from a private database I have access to.

Brilliant, thanks Stef! I find that sort of historical information fascinating.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 1:12 pm

Well, that was fun and interesting.

Next is in Vic.
8577VicCrossing.jpg
The crossing at Sealers Cove, Wilsons Prom.
Last edited by eggs on Thu 28 Jan, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 2:09 pm

I don't remember crossing that creek at Sealers Cove
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 3:09 pm

Sealers is correct.
Did not take the shoes off to cross here - but thankful the tide did not call for a waist/chest high wade.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 3:19 pm

Thanks Eggs
Next up SA
Q. What is the nearest town?
A.
Last edited by commando on Thu 28 Jan, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 3:50 pm

Hawker?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 6:06 pm

peregrinator wrote:Hawker?

That's correct,
Over to you peregrinator.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Fri 29 Jan, 2021 12:41 pm

Another one in SA. Name the two formations on the horizon. Bonus points for having a stab at where the picture was taken.

IMG_0546.jpg
Elder Range (L) and southern end of Wilpena Pound (R)
Last edited by peregrinator on Sun 31 Jan, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Sat 30 Jan, 2021 1:46 pm

This is reasonably close to the location of the previous photograph.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Sun 31 Jan, 2021 9:58 am

There must have been hundreds of thousands of photographs of these escarpments taken from much-travelled roads nearby.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sun 31 Jan, 2021 1:31 pm

Unfortunately I have no idea but will take a stab. Is it the Elder Range and Wilpena Pound?
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Sun 31 Jan, 2021 3:43 pm

It will be the Elder Range and Rawnsley Bluff on the right - maybe somewhere near Martins Well road [which is in the view?] near the Chace Range
Last edited by eggs on Mon 01 Feb, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Sun 31 Jan, 2021 8:51 pm

Johnw answered correctly, manifesting an idea out of nowhere. Therefore is first across the line.

Eggs will have witnessed the scenery in this area a few times, I am sure! So while he misses the prize, he gets consolation points for identifying the base of the Chace Range, approaching Martins Well Road, as the site where the picture was made. (Yes, Chace, not Chase. Probably someone's surname, but I'll have to do some research.)

Elder Range about 25 km to the west. Southern end of Wilpena Pound, with the distinctive Rawnsley Bluff on the left, about 10 km slightly north of west.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 8:23 am

peregrinator wrote:Johnw answered correctly, manifesting an idea out of nowhere. Therefore is first across the line.

Eggs will have witnessed the scenery in this area a few times, I am sure! So while he misses the prize, he gets consolation points for identifying the base of the Chace Range, approaching Martins Well Road, as the site where the picture was made. (Yes, Chace, not Chase. Probably someone's surname, but I'll have to do some research.)

Elder Range about 25 km to the west. Southern end of Wilpena Pound, with the distinctive Rawnsley Bluff on the left, about 10 km slightly north of west.

Thanks peregrinator. I haven't been there but applied a level of analysis by looking at the map. I had finally convinced my wife that we should add the Flinders region to our travel bucket list, just in time for Covid lockdowns :roll:. Will eventually do it, it's already been 41 years since our last visit to SA.

I haven't posted a waterfall for a while, NSW:
IMG_0013 resized.JPG
Edith Falls in drought, Blue Mountains NP via Hazelbrook NSW
Last edited by johnw on Wed 03 Feb, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Competitions