Sunset Remote Walk - Murray Sunset NP - advice sought

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sunset Remote Walk - Murray Sunset NP - advice sought

Postby BakerSailor » Sat 05 Jun, 2021 4:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

We're planning on doing the Sunset Remote Walk in the Murray Sunset NP next month (restrictions pending).

There is some info on here from 2012, and I've read the section in the Take a Walk book along with the parks info.

Has anyone been recently? Would be great to get an idea of track conditions, campsite conditions etc.

I'm also keen to understand if normal tent pegs will be OK or if we'll need sand pegs.

Thanks in advance!
Simon
BakerSailor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Sunset Remote Walk - Murray Sunset NP - advice sought

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 05 Jun, 2021 4:33 pm

I walked it Sep 19. It's easy to follow as there are no junctions to speak of. It is loose sand in places but I don't recall having any trouble with pegs at the camp sites (I only used 1 of the two official spots, crozier). The camps are very basic, no furniture, no sites, just a tank.

I thought it was fantastic, one of the better walks I've done.

Worth spending a first day at pink lakes and doing all the day walks too.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby BakerSailor » Sat 05 Jun, 2021 4:50 pm

CraigVIC wrote:I walked it Sep 19. It's easy to follow as there are no junctions to speak of. It is loose sand in places but I don't recall having any trouble with pegs at the camp sites (I only used 1 of the two official spots, crozier). The camps are very basic, no furniture, no sites, just a tank.

I thought it was fantastic, one of the better walks I've done.

Worth spending a first day at pink lakes and doing all the day walks too.

Thanks Craig!
I found your Instagram posts a little while back when I was first looking into this walk, stunning photos, pushed it from a walk on the to do list, to the top of the list!

Good to know re the pegs - may I ask where you camped in the second night?
BakerSailor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 05 Jun, 2021 5:33 pm

There's a large open area another 8km approx futher along clockwise from the second camp (which is at a road crossing). I camped LNT there but I have to stress I don't know if that's officially allowed. There's not a lot of official info from parks and I forgot to ask when I spoke to the ranger from Underbool.
CraigVIC

Postby bernieq » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 8:39 pm

For current conditions (important stuff like availability of tank water) call Parks and ask to be put through to the ranger at Underbool (I'm assuming it's still Richard - he maintains the track & tanks - good bloke).

As said, normal pegs are fine. Take a PLB - it's remote, not much phone coverage (some on Mt Crozier). You can camp anywhere you like (but the only water is from the tanks at Crozier, Mt Jess Tk and Saltbush as well as Becking).

I've walked the area a few times; at night with a full moon was fun, quite a bit off-track as well (for which you need a gps and good navigation skills). On-track is straight-forward but map & compass (and/or gps) is strongly advised.

IMG_10062021_203426.jpg
Camp at Mt Jess Tk
IMG_10062021_203426.jpg (192.16 KiB) Viewed 11714 times

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby BakerSailor » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 9:01 pm

bernieq wrote:For current conditions (important stuff like availability of tank water) call Parks and ask to be put through to the ranger at Underbool (I'm assuming it's still Richard - he maintains the track & tanks - good bloke).

As said, normal pegs are fine. Take a PLB - it's remote, not much phone coverage (some on Mt Crozier). You can camp anywhere you like (but the only water is from the tanks at Crozier, Mt Jess Tk and Saltbush as well as Becking).

I've walked the area a few times; at night with a full moon was fun, quite a bit off-track as well (for which you need a gps and good navigation skills). On-track is straight-forward but map & compass (and/or gps) is strongly advised.

IMG_10062021_203426.jpg

Cheers, thanks for the info - I'll definitely be calling the Ranger closer to the time :)

Good to know re camping and track. I think we'll be sticking to the marked track this time. I imagine map/compass navigation would be fairly hard around here without many easily recognisable features... I'll have my GPS as well as a map and compass :)

Very excited to experience maker bush for the first time!

(PS, always carry my PLB, even in non remote hikes. Paid enough for it, no point leaving it at home!)
BakerSailor
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 29 Jul, 2021 8:31 pm

I contacted the Underbool office by email - didn't get response to several phone attempts - to check out conditions in case I can get up there soon, might be useful to anybody thinking of doing a post lockdown jaunt...
We have had a good drop of rain over the last 2 weeks, so some of the tracks will hold a few puddles of water.

There are 3 water tanks located on the walking track :

Salt Bush Flat Tank Trk.

Mt. Crozier Tk

Mt Jess Tk

The tanks are full of untreated rain water, they checked regularly by the Rangers. We strongly advise to take your own drinking water, but utilise the tanks if needed.

If you require anymore information, please let us know.

Regards Kelly (Acting Ranger Team Leader -Underbool)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigkev » Sat 31 Jul, 2021 5:08 pm

Thanks Baeng...I might see you up there.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 31 Jul, 2021 11:33 pm

bigkev wrote:Thanks Baeng...I might see you up there.

Can I get a lift? :)
It looks iffy whether I'll go or not at the moment, but if the info proves useful to you, that's great.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigkev » Sun 01 Aug, 2021 5:08 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
bigkev wrote:Thanks Baeng...I might see you up there.

Can I get a lift? :)
It looks iffy whether I'll go or not at the moment, but if the info proves useful to you, that's great.

I'll send you a PM if I go Baeng - I'm looking at around a week and a half from now, although I've got a couple of other walks that may fall into place instead.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 01 Aug, 2021 7:37 pm

bigkev wrote:
I'll send you a PM if I go Baeng - I'm looking at around a week and a half from now, although I've got a couple of other walks that may fall into place instead.

No dramas BigKev, cheers!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Paul455 » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 9:37 pm

A great walk. It is easy walking and it feels remote. The mallee is an under rated part of Australia. Sunset on Mt Crozier is beautiful but the camp sites are underwhelming. On the 2nd night I bush camped about 10 kms further on and lay in my tent taking shots of the stars. Definitely a spring walk there is no where to hide in the heat. Take a PLB you are long way from anywhere.
Paul455
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lukec » Thu 26 Aug, 2021 9:57 pm

I just did the 3 day walk last week, got in just before regional vic got locked down. It’s a different type of experience to what I’ve done before, I’ve mostly done mountain walks in vic, tas and nz, which I’d still prefer to be honest. But this was enjoyable in a different way, mostly in the spectacular sunrises and sunsets and just peaceful solitude in a vast wilderness. It really was a nice chop-out from the everyday crap. Tanks all had water, walking is a bit repetitive tbh, but it’s worth it just to get out of the daily news cycle in these times
Lukec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 26 Aug, 2021 10:24 pm

I’m looking to do it over the Grand Final weekend (assuming we’re out of lockdown).

Here’s hoping!
ChrisJHC

Return to Victoria