One Planet Extrovert (55 litre, 1300g) advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One Planet Extrovert (55 litre, 1300g) advice

Postby adventuremum » Mon 07 Jun, 2021 11:04 am

Hi
wondering about One Planet Extrovert, 55 litre, 1300g https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/extrovert/
available ?this/next week.
Love any feedback from people who've been using One Planet Canopy or other One Planet packs with:
    Diamondloc fabric(165 g/m2, 210-denier nylon) or
    exact fit mid harness
Is diamondloc waterproof? tear/abrasion resistant?
Is exact fit mid harness OK for 15kg loads?
Thanks
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: One Planet Extrovert (55 litre, 1300g) advice

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 07 Jun, 2021 11:39 am

I've been using the 50 litre One Planet 'Overshadow' for the past ~3 years. It is essentially the predecessor to the 'Canopy' and virtually identical as far as I can tell.

I love the pack, and am only trying to sell it here because I have found that I occasionally need it to be just a tiny bit larger than that, and because I prefer larger pockets (the Overshadow/Canopy front pocket is just a sheet of stretch mesh and the top pocket is a tad smaller than I like).

The fabric is not as abrasion resistant as their canvas packs (I also use an old canvas One Planet Strezlecki). But if you're not pack-hauling or dragging it over rocks, it should be fine. After about 3 years, my pack still looks like its in near-new condition.

I've not tested the waterproofness of it in any river crossings, but I've not come across any pack that is truly waterproof (as in hold in under water while crossing a river for a few minutes always lets a few drops in). I've used in it moderate rain without any trouble, but I would always keep clothes, etc, in their own dry bag inside the pack, anyhow.

Yes, 15kg is fine in the Overshadow. I'm not a light-weight walker, and I've used mine for a 4 day walk, including carrying a pack raft and paddles. I don't weigh my packs before walking, but I would GUESS that it would have been at least 15 kg on that one.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby adventuremum » Mon 07 Jun, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi
Thanks for that feedback post 3 years use. Sounds good.
Extrovert has no front pocket at all (no mesh) just shock cord.
Tempted by your second hand Overshadow and by new Tussock (1500g, 60 litre) which has zip front pocket, but reducing 200g weight (with aging knees) is higher priority. But once Melbourne lockdown is over & I can try on & see packs in store & stuff everything in, it will be easier to decide...
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 07 Jun, 2021 2:49 pm

Yes, the new Extrovert and Tussock both look excellent to me. The Tossock is my preference (I like the extra pocket). Just waiting for them to become more readily available. First time I saw them on the website, they said they would be available in January. Then they changed it to March. Now there is no date listed. :-(

Perhaps they are having trouble getting supplies during COVID (as a lot of shops & manufactures are).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby stry » Mon 07 Jun, 2021 7:54 pm

Oh well - I'll join the virtual love fest :lol:

Have been using the fore runner of the Overshadow, which is simply the Shadow. light weight canvas bag. Minimalist. No front pocket :( 1800g

Also waiting for the Tussock but I think SOB is probably correct about materials availability. I hope OP don't compromise and use potentially inferior substitutes.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adventuremum » Mon 07 Jun, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi
FYI OP emailed back and said Extrovert would be in Melbourne store late this week/next week and Tusssock next week.
They have put Extrovert aside for me. So if you're keen, you might want to make contact with them.
Cheers
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Tue 08 Jun, 2021 7:51 am

Thanks adventuremum. Will call today. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Tue 08 Jun, 2021 4:33 pm

Bought a tussock at Christmas. Really well made, well featured, well thought out pack. Unfortunately it didn't fit my torso length so back it went.. Never been so disappointed.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 9:33 am

I have a 50lt canopy (1400g) kinda like the look of the new fabrics offered, but still satisfied with mine. It is robust and scrapes and drags past rocks just fine. Even when dirty with black 'fire dust', it still comes up looking new after I whack it a few times. It carries much heavier loads than advised with ease and comfort. It is very stable on my back and I can scramble up rocks just fine. Also am able to lift my head well to scout out next handholds with no issues from the frame or the lid impacting my range of head movement, something that is not possible when wearing my old Osprey Aura. Water bottle pockets work well and even during pack passes or throwing it, the bottles stay in. I would like to see the side pockets on the pack be a little deeper and useable though, I can just stash my trekking poles in there or the very base of a ccf, a touch more depth would be grand though so I could put a rainjacket or something something in there.
Harness is very well made with lots of adjustability, however, this will be my one criticism of it- the shoulder straps are very much made for males, although are 'unisex'.

Warning- some talk of female anatomy and physiology.
When I bought mine last year, it took some tweaking to get the shoulder straps not to sit across the outer edges of my breast tissue. Most times this wouldn't be an issue, but some times in the course of a month, it was noticeable and actually uncomfortable. It was fortunate I received my pack at just such a time. I managed with the help of OP to get it adjusted to be minimally uncomfortable in that respect. I thought I had entirely eliminated the issue, but perhaps by the time I got the fit right, the soreness in my chest had subsided. I just did a 2 day trip with it this weekend just gone where sore chest was at its worst and I will say I did notice the shoulder straps. They were not terrible and the overall carry was still excellent, but I was aware of that little niggle.
I had wondered whether something like a ULA Circuit could meet my needs as can get 'S' Straps on them, but a big unknown I guess buying without trying, which is why I went with OP as their customer service is second to none.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 10:02 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:I had wondered whether something like a ULA Circuit could meet my needs as can get 'S' Straps on them...

I have a ULA Catalyst with S straps, bought online and thus untried. The harness and shoulder straps are the best I've ever used, excellent fit and so comfortable. Not a lot of boobage to interfere with fit, and decidedly post-menopausal, so not likely to be an issue for me anyway, but would probably still work well for you if/when you need to replace the OP.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 11:31 am

north-north-west wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:I had wondered whether something like a ULA Circuit could meet my needs as can get 'S' Straps on them...

I have a ULA Catalyst with S straps, bought online and thus untried. The harness and shoulder straps are the best I've ever used, excellent fit and so comfortable. Not a lot of boobage to interfere with fit, and decidedly post-menopausal, so not likely to be an issue for me anyway, but would probably still work well for you if/when you need to replace the OP.

Thanks for replying NNW, your own experience confirms what I suspected as I have trawled over reviews, images and the ULA site many,many times. I know from the female fit of the Osprey packs and the look of the S strap on the ULA's that they were very likely to be just the ticket. I even have an imaginary 'build your own pack' sitting in a cart on the ULA website. I had hoped to nab a Circuit prior to buying the OP Canopy but couldn't find one 2nd hand. How is the mesh pocket on the Catalyst? Is it robust enough for your Tassie adventures?

I would say the Canopy is the perfect pack for me, if not for the strap issue. It really is fantastic. I am not exactly Chesty Laroo myself and imagine menopause will go partway to eliminating the problem of chest region pain, but seriously considering checking out on my imaginary custom Xpac ULA Circuit :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 2:12 pm

The pockets on the Catalyst are not mesh. The front is stretchy fabric which is very robust, the side pockets are the same material as the pack and have a couple of small tears, not so much from rock as from hauling the tripod through thick scrub.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 2:41 pm

Excellent, it was the front pocket I was meaning as I knew it was stretchy. My OP Canopy has a stretch front pocket and that stuff is really robust, so hoped that ULA would use a similar product. If your pack has survived your Tassie scrub, I reckon I will be just fine and dandy for my mostly tame adventures.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 6:14 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:Bought a tussock at Christmas. Really well made, well featured, well thought out pack. Unfortunately it didn't fit my torso length so back it went.. Never been so disappointed.

I tried on a One Planet Tussock today. Same issue, the pack didn't suit my torso. Highly disappointed.. it's a brilliant pack. Light for its features and overall robustness.

For those who are more torso compatible, Trek & Travel in Kent st Sydney has the Tussock and Extrovert in stock.

Plug for the staff at Trek & Travel. Received awesome and knowledgeable service today. Could do a lot worse than go to them for your pack /equipment needs. (I have no affiliation)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 6:29 pm

Could those who say that the Tussock didn't suit their torsos elaborate please ?

IE : Too long or too short - too wide or too narrow - shoulders straps too close together or too far apart - lumbar pad too angled or too flat ?

I'm struggling to think of any other aspects that might be an issue, and most the ones above are fixable.

Specifics would be helpful, please.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 17 Jun, 2021 9:17 pm

stry wrote:Could those who say that the Tussock didn't suit their torsos elaborate please ?

IE : Too long or too short - too wide or too narrow - shoulders straps too close together or too far apart - lumbar pad too angled or too flat ?

I'm struggling to think of any other aspects that might be an issue, and most the ones above are fixable.

Hi stry,

For me the main issue was one of weight balance. With 15kg in the pack, I felt the pack was pulling me backwards. I usually use a Osprey Exos and despite its trampoline frame being away from the back I dont have this issue with a similar weight. I can use the load lifters to centre the weight. Using the load lifters on the Tussock didnt have the same result of centreing the load.

I tried another Osprey on in the store with weight and I didnt have the balance issue. Not sure what was causing it on the Tussock. I have fairly thick shoulders compared to the rest of my body so maybe that and the extra back padding on the Tussock frame was causing the issue. (Just speculating as Im not really sure what the exact cause was)

Also possible it was user error and there was some strap etc that I under or over tightened which unbalanced the load.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adventuremum » Fri 18 Jun, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi
FYI the OP Extrovert is not 1300g as claimed! My teenage was fitted for medium length pack (with medium shoulder strap and medium hip belt).
I unfortunately didn't weigh in shop, trusting OP's marketing! But on weighing at home it was 1428g! (on scales with 1g increments) Not happy...
I rang OP & asked them to weigh their shop stock: they weighed medium Extrovert at 1405g...
So, going to swop for Tussock (which OP has weighed at 1500g in factory) although they still have no stock...
One Planet has said they ended up doing heavier waterproofing on fabric from prototype & hadn't weighed post production!
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Fri 18 Jun, 2021 7:45 pm

stry wrote:Could those who say that the Tussock didn't suit their torsos elaborate please ?

The pack was too short for my torso length. I have a 53cm torso. When adjusted to its maximum length, the top of the load lifters on the Tussock ended up several cm below the top of my shoulders. With the hip belt in the right position, tightening the shoulder straps had the effect of trying to compress your spine. Alternatively you could get the shoulder straps and load lifters in the right position but then the hip belt was around my stomach. If your torso length is less than 50 cm, it will probably be OK.
Last edited by JohnnoMcJohnno on Fri 18 Jun, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 18 Jun, 2021 7:55 pm

Crikey, big weight difference, Adventuremum!
Particularly when weight is a seling point. You could have tried my Canopy, but its the short torso length, medium hip belt which is not helpful for you guys.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sat 19 Jun, 2021 9:26 am

Thanks for the feedback Johnno and WW.

Johnno's issue may well be the cause of WW's concerns also, particularly if he is also tall.

I wondered how OP would make the three different back lengths work with only one bag size. They are not the only manufacturer to do this, and it appears that opting for this sensible manufacturing strategy may, necessitate some compromises at the tall end of the fit spectrum.

Hopefully these packs can be adjusted to my modestly sized 170ish tall physique. :lol:
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment