Mt Baw Baw water conditions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Baw Baw water conditions

Postby smaosmaooo » Mon 17 Jan, 2022 6:00 pm

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of heading up to Mt Baw Baw for my first overnight later this month. From earlier threads I take it that there's often water at Erica carpark, Talbots, St Gwinear, and Phillacks. Can anyone who's been out there lately comment on conditions at the moment?

Thanks in advance!
smaosmaooo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Baw Baw water conditions

Postby GBW » Tue 18 Jan, 2022 1:23 pm

There's been plenty of rain so water shouldn't be a problem at all the places you mentioned.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 18 Jan, 2022 1:46 pm

There was no water at St. Phillack saddle last month ( Dec. 2021 ). I have never found water there. You should find water in the stream East of the Whitelaw hut ruins.
There was water flowing in the stream between the Baw Baw Village Trail track /Baw Baw N.P. junction and St. Phillack saddle.
The stream near Talbot Hut ruins is very reliable.
There is usually water in the stream near the foot bridge along the pole line between MSG summit and the Rock shelter.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby GBW » Tue 18 Jan, 2022 2:11 pm

Head west from Phillack Saddle. There is/was water there...

water Phillacks.jpg
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby smaosmaooo » Tue 18 Jan, 2022 3:31 pm

Thanks for these responses, which are very helpful! It sounds like I shouldn't have any trouble finding water.

Given that I'll be properly equipped and I'm not planning to do anything crazy, is there anything in particular I should be aware of / worried about with this area? (I only ask because this is my first overnighter. I've spent a fair few nights camping, and I know my way around the bush - but still!)

Thanks again!
smaosmaooo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 18 Jan, 2022 5:24 pm

Pillock Saddle, I've always just dropped down one side or another. Plenty of water, and easy to get at. Except snowcamps, of course. Then it's just about melting some.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 18 Jan, 2022 5:38 pm

The scrub between St. Phillack Saddle and eastwards towards Mustering flat is now head high.
I am not keen on that kind of bush bashing to locate water if an easier option is possible. The O.P. should be OK walking the AAWT from Mt. Erica car park out to the Mt. Whitelaw Hut ruins. The AAWT is a bit overgrown past that point but a BTAC track clearing working bee
is planned for April 2022 for the northern segment of the AAWT from St. Phillack saddle to Stronach's camp .
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Wed 19 Jan, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby indented » Wed 19 Jan, 2022 7:26 am

Was at St Phillack Saddle May last year, there was good flowing water about 20m down from the clearing towards Baw Baw, increasing as it descended. Obvious footpad from where people have built an impromptu fire pit. The stream between St Gwinear and the AAWT junction at rock shelter/camp saddle looked to be more reliable though.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GBW » Wed 19 Jan, 2022 8:09 am

One thing that can be an issue at Baw Baw are those dam March flies. They're stealthy and have a ferocious bite. Other than that the track from Mt Erica CP to Phillacks Saddle is well defined. Not much in the way of views but beautiful sub-alpine forest and granite tors. Good luck.
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby smaosmaooo » Wed 19 Jan, 2022 1:20 pm

Great! Thanks again to everyone for the replies. Since I've never been to the area before (and since this is my first overnight hike), it's really useful to have your advice.

If the March flies aren't too bad, I'll report back with some pictures!
smaosmaooo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria