Southern Ranges tent choice

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Southern Ranges tent choice

Postby IDP » Thu 27 Jan, 2022 4:01 pm

Quick gauge of thoughts re tent choice for solo Southern Ranges circuit late Feb.
Macpac Minaret or Mont Moondance 1? I have both so choosing between the two.
If I can get away without the weight penalty of the Minaret, I’d be happy but wanted to gauge thoughts of wind stability for the Moondance up there.
Cheers
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Southern Ranges tent choice

Postby Tortoise » Thu 27 Jan, 2022 5:29 pm

Friends have had their Moondances in pretty windy conditions, and had an uncomfortable night, as the hub isn't very stable apparently. I'd keep a careful eye on yr.no and mountain-forecast.com beforehand and make a decision based on that - especially if the forecast doesn't keep changing.

Most places you can find a bit more shelter for the tent if you forego the views. Hard to get much shelter on Wylly Plateau, unless the wind is coming from exactly the right direction (SE ish, I think).

It'd be good to get a water update from folks who do it not long before you. When we did it last January, there were a bunch of soaks along the way that would have provided extra possible sheltered campsites. This year I reckon most would be dry, unless we get decent rain down there beforehand. Which we might.

Hope you have a great trip!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby philm » Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:00 am

I have the Mont Moondance 1 FN in some pretty windy conditions on the Western Arthurs but managed to find some relatively sheltered spots apart from High Moor. The tent moved a little in high wind and rain but was good and I never felt it could not handle the wind. Being a tunnel tent I think the Minaret may be more stable in high wind but the Mont is a great tent as well. As stated look at the weather and make your choice just before you leave!
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby wander » Sat 29 Jan, 2022 2:00 pm

I would take the Moondance except I have the Once Planet Goondie which is a pretty similar tent. I think last trip on the SRC we used either a Moondance 2 or a Mesa, both pretty similar, the trip prior to that I used an early model macpac Microlight no issues either trip.

The only site of concern is on PB itself where serious mountaineering tents have meet their death.

There are some sort of sheltered areas on PB and properly pitched with all the tent pegs loops used should be OK, looks at the sky and choose the site and pitch accordingly.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby IDP » Wed 02 Feb, 2022 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies all
I shall take both down to Tas and decide based on the forecasts
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby IDP » Mon 07 Mar, 2022 7:44 am

Just a quick report - I did complete the circuit and did take the Moondance.

Of interest to me was that I was holed up at Pigsty for two nights as there was a gale blowing as I got in on the first night. This didn't abate until the early hours of day 3. The weather station at Maatsuyker Island recorded gusts up to 130km/h whilst I was there. Certainly whenever I tried to leave my tent, it was difficult to not get bowled over.

However whilst the Moondance was certainly buffeted around, it never gave me too much cause for concern. Hence I was pleasantly surprised with its performance.
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wander » Mon 07 Mar, 2022 12:22 pm

Thanks for the after report. Good to read the final selection did the job.
wander

Return to Tasmania