Mt Morgan

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Morgan

Postby Summitview » Tue 08 Feb, 2022 2:03 pm

Hi there

Has anyone been to Mt Morgan recently, or at least since the 2019-20 fires? We are looking to walk up Lone Pine Trail from Yaouk and then to the summit. I want to know if the rough walking track from the Lone Pine trail to the summit area is still followable and how Mt Morgan was affected by the fires. (I understand that the Lone Pine Trail was significantly widened at the time of the fire).

If anyone has a gpx file of the route from Lone Pine Trail to the summit of Mt Morgan, that would be wonderful!

Thanks
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Mt Morgan

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 08 Feb, 2022 3:53 pm

Summitview wrote:Hi there

Has anyone been to Mt Morgan recently, or at least since the 2019-20 fires? We are looking to walk up Lone Pine Trail from Yaouk and then to the summit. I want to know if the rough walking track from the Lone Pine trail to the summit area is still followable and how Mt Morgan was affected by the fires. (I understand that the Lone Pine Trail was significantly widened at the time of the fire).

If anyone has a gpx file of the route from Lone Pine Trail to the summit of Mt Morgan, that would be wonderful!

Thanks

Summit track is still intact. Not sure how much the LP trail from Yaouk has been widened as I've only approached from the north since the fires. No need for GPX just follow the vehicle track from the Bimberi Wilderness sign (feint for a while over the open grassland but becomes more obvious once in the treeline). There is a decent campsite a few hundred (maybe?) metres in from the treeline with close access to the upper reaches of the Goodradigbee River for water, if not doing it as a daywalk. Morgan is a really nice summit.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Tue 08 Feb, 2022 8:22 pm

Agree with WFBW. Track is all good as of November.

The summit flats of Mt Morgan must be one of the few that were left unburnt. Stunning.

You won’t need a GPX. Just following the divide from the clearing mentioned above.

Lone Pine got hammered. It looks like *&%$#!.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Summitview » Wed 09 Feb, 2022 11:30 am

Many thanks to you both! I am so often surprised on this website how quickly people provide useful responses about relatively little-visited locations!

We went up the track in January 2018 and camped on top of the mountain. I gather that a new vehicle track was bulldozed at the time of, or shortly after the Jan/Feb 2020 fire, along the line of the foot-track. Perhaps this is the vehicle track you mention. Can I take it the foot-track is easy to find where it goes beyond the new vehicle track?

Thanks again.
By the way, Zapruda, some excellent photos on your Instagram page.
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Mon 14 Feb, 2022 7:25 am

A new track was put in but it only goes a few 100 meters past the clearing. The majority of the track to the summit is the old foot pad.

They did clear a heap lone pine trail from Yaouk to Oldfields. They did a terrible job. It can look like a 4 lane highway at some parts.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it! Let’s us know how you get along up there. I highly recommend heading over to Half Moon as well.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Summitview » Fri 18 Feb, 2022 4:14 pm

Thanks,Zapruda. Yes,agreed about Lone Pine Trail. We went last weekend and the track to the summit from the saddle was as you said, and the summit was lovely as ever. Half Moon Peak does look appealing but we didn't get over there. Cheers
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT