Granny Spur Horse ridge

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Granny Spur Horse ridge

Postby Thewaz » Mon 07 Mar, 2022 9:08 pm

Hey all
Anyone experienced Granny Spur Horse ridge recently and if so how was it?
Any info would be great and also Cairn Creek hut.
Thanks
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Granny Spur Horse ridge

Postby bigkev » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 9:31 am

It looks like the info on Granny Spur / Horse Ridge is a little light on...

I've been through there a couple of times over the years - both before and after the fires. I haven't been there for around 6 years though so filter my info through that lens.

Last time I was there the hut was still standing - although I camped on the grass outside. The hut is small and pretty rough and is obviously home to some of the local wildlife judging by the droppings everywhere.

I'm alive to type this up so obviously the climb is doable, however it's tough (I'm an old bloke who is pretty unfit however I'm fairly resilient - some may say stubborn!). It took me around 6 hours to push through the scrub and negotiate the fallen trees. It's definitely Type 2 fun!

I've shared this link before and it's a little dated now, however the photos may help you out a bit :- https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... -park.html

Don't underestimate this walk - even the 'track' off Quartz Ridge down to Cairn Creek is a little hard going in spots.

Cheers
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thewaz » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 1:05 pm

Thanks that’s a great insight.
We will be heading down Granny Spur to Cairn Creek hut. Will let you know what is it like.
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby andrewp » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 1:29 pm

I did this trip in Apr 2014. Down Horse Ridge/Granny Spur, camped outside Cairn Creek hut and then continued on to Quartz Ridge.
I don't think there have been any fires through there since then.
From what I remember it wasn't too bad at all. Scrub started at the bottom end of Horse Ridge, but it wasn't too thick. A bit of a steep drop off Horse Ridge into Big River. Camped outside the hut. It was quite dirty, with some broken glass. The route up the next day was pretty thick at first, until we met a brand new cut track at the top of the ridge. This track is marked on OSM. I don't know if Parks have completed the track down to hut.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bigkev » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 6:15 pm

Thewaz wrote:Thanks that’s a great insight.
We will be heading down Granny Spur to Cairn Creek hut. Will let you know what is it like.

No worries, I"ll be interested to hear what it's like heading down, I'm thinking that is probably the best option.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LLSC » Fri 18 Mar, 2022 12:11 pm

Thanks for posting about this, Thewaz. I really enjoyed reading bigkev's account of his walk: mate, you got some really good pictures, that brought back to me how bad the scrub was when I did it. The few people I have spoken to who have walked this route have seemed to find it a fair bit easier than I did. I found it very slow and very difficult and did not get through it as quickly as you, Bigkev. It made me want to read again my account of it, bringing back the pain of fatigue and impossibly slow progress ( https://app.box.com/s/r49ln3h0qq40j71vbocc4lvp0dr8rxcg See day 25).
Thewaz, I hope you have a good time of it and I look forward to your account. In short, I found Granny Spur very steep, very overgrown and had trouble staying on the ridge. Similarly, the first 400 metres or so, going up from Big River to the ridge that runs up to the Quartz Ridge track, I found very overgrown (lots of 'Pick-Up-Sticks' intertwined large wet, greasy logs) and hard to find a route. After that first 400 m, there was a nice clear, fast walking track. Similarly, at the start, the route down from Tadgell Point, down Horse Ridge, was beautiful walking: idyllic.
LLSC
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bigkev » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 6:37 pm

I remember reading this trip report at the time LLSC (I think I was about to either do the AAWT or had just done it?) I certainly didn't do it easy either - took me a good six to seven hours to climb out of that valley.

Thanks for posting the link to your report - it's a great read :D
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thewaz » Mon 21 Mar, 2022 7:30 pm

Wowee, epic. We set camp at Cleve Cole and day packed down Granny Spur/ horse ridge. Following the ridge wasn’t an issue, there was a bit pushing through thick scrub but nothing serious until near the bottom. For probably about 500mt I don’t think me feet touched the ground, we were crawling over scrub. Can’t imagine doing this with full packs.
Dropping into Cairn Creek, was so nice to walk the 100m along to big river and Cairn Creek hut. What a grouse old hut.
Following the pink ribbons and track from the hut 2km to bottom of Quartz Ridge was fine, still would be tough with full packs but doable.
Hike up Quartz and back to CCH.
Great day but tough, we are all fast fit hikers with days packs and this 18km took us 10hours with a few breaks.
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bigkev » Tue 22 Mar, 2022 5:53 pm

Thewaz wrote:Wowee, epic. We set camp at Cleve Cole and day packed down Granny Spur/ horse ridge. Following the ridge wasn’t an issue, there was a bit pushing through thick scrub but nothing serious until near the bottom. For probably about 500mt I don’t think me feet touched the ground, we were crawling over scrub. Can’t imagine doing this with full packs.
Dropping into Cairn Creek, was so nice to walk the 100m along to big river and Cairn Creek hut. What a grouse old hut.
Following the pink ribbons and track from the hut 2km to bottom of Quartz Ridge was fine, still would be tough with full packs but doable.
Hike up Quartz and back to CCH.
Great day but tough, we are all fast fit hikers with days packs and this 18km took us 10hours with a few breaks.

Thanks for reporting back Thewaz - sounds like a big day out. The Horse Ridge part makes for nice walking doesn't it?

It was certainly a tough walk for me climbing up with my full pack on - I remember crawling in at least one spot!
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thewaz » Sat 26 Mar, 2022 10:10 am

Yes for sure Horse Ridge was ok, but once we hit the tree line it got thick. We were pushing through shrubs for hours
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria