How tough is Toughtek?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How tough is Toughtek?

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Jun, 2022 2:25 pm

I am tired of cold feet when snowcamping; so I just ordered a pair of WM down booties from The Hermits Hut.
If anybody here has ever had experience with the Toughtek material they use on the sole and rand how non-slip and how tough it is?
I assume it is also waterproof.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: How tough is Toughtek?

Postby andrewa » Wed 08 Jun, 2022 8:03 pm

I love my WM expedition down booties. The material works well.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Jun, 2022 9:23 pm

andrewa wrote:I love my WM expedition down booties. The material works well.

A

My home-made were OK but not warm enough. Will I need footbeds inside them do you think?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Fri 24 Jun, 2022 7:37 pm

The WM ones have foam inner soles. That’s easy to do.

They are pretty well my perfect design, and wouldn’t be that hard to replicate. Foam inners, cordura like sole, down filled to about ankle height I think, and then the whole bootie ones up to calf height, with a draw cord above your calf, which keeps them on. The shorter down booties always slip off, and are a PITA in deep snow. The best thing about the WM ones, compared to the ones we oldies used 20-30 yrs ago is the outer going above calf height, and the fabric being a bit lighter and more waterproof ( and the down).

I’m liking this new Paskal weathermax 80 fabric…..lighter than cordura, but with a textured finish, and would be great for booty bases. Am about to make some weatherproof ski pants from a combination of weathermax 80, and weathermax 3D , which is a less water resistant stretchy version.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 25 Jun, 2022 1:11 am

Thanx
I hope they get here soon because it seems they are stuck in the USA awaiting customs clearance.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Sat 25 Jun, 2022 10:15 am

Moondog55 wrote:I hope they get here soon because it seems they are stuck in the USA awaiting customs clearance.

Umm customs is usually concerned with incoming not outgoing.

I think that is a shipping issue not a customs issue.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 25 Jun, 2022 10:27 am

In Australia that is true, but I think things are very different in the USA, there is paperwork that states the unit isn't military/secret/prohibited export that needs to be checked according to my mates over there.
Mind you they could be wrong.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Sat 25 Jun, 2022 1:14 pm

Apologies Ted. I forgot you’d bought them, and weren’t wishing to make similar. You’ll love them.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sat 25 Jun, 2022 1:46 pm

Moondog55 wrote:In Australia that is true, but I think things are very different in the USA, there is paperwork that states the unit isn't military/secret/prohibited export that needs to be checked according to my mates over there.
Mind you they could be wrong.

No, I remember that now :oops: .. and there were instances of things being sent from the USA .. and then resent off to somewhere that the USA did not want them sent .. so you had to be on some approved list to get certain stuff...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby rcaffin » Sat 25 Jun, 2022 8:05 pm

But I really need this small tactical nuke . . .
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sat 25 Jun, 2022 9:26 pm

I have a pair of the short WM bootees with sole. I don't wear them in bed, and the only improvement that I could think of is a little more insulation under foot. Additional footbed would definitely be a good idea. I don't use these bushwalking.

I also have a very light and basic pair from Goose Feet Gear, with extra fill, but I don't use them enough as I keep forgetting to take them in lieu of my usual pure wool bed socks. I also have the skimpy over covers for midnight necessaries, but again, old habits die hard, and I usually slip on my boots.

FWIW, I have found that blended socks with only about 80% or less wool aren't worth the proverbial pinch for warmth when compared with pure wool.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment