Eastern Arthurs Traverse / Huon Track Post-Fire Updates

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Eastern Arthurs Traverse / Huon Track Post-Fire Updates

Postby weetbix456 » Sat 11 Jun, 2022 12:37 pm

Anyone received any recent/reliable word on an updated reopening timeframe for the remainder of the Eastern Arthurs Traverse, Huon Tracks and Lake Rosanne area etc?? Last I heard - PWS were aiming for late-autumn 2022, but unsurprisingly this seems to have been pushed back similar to previous reopenings, and drawing it out into the middle of winter would no doubt help minimise a surge in early visitation. From all accounts - it sounds like Bechervaise Plateau campsite is in dire need of a toilet too...hoping that something of the sorts is installed before the next walking season!

Whilst searching for updates - I stumbled upon a fire service review of the management of the 2018/19 fires. I found the fire progression maps of particular interest to get an idea of the extent of each region. A link is attached below. The last time I walked the Huon/Yo-Yo Track it was a log choked mess - wondering whether this was cleared up at all throughout the works...used to be quite a lovely stretch of river...but assuming it to have been one of the most decimated areas :(

Lets hope PWS successfully mitigate the Phytophthora spread, and that all the works last many many more walking seasons to come!!

https://parks.tas.gov.au/be-involved/news-and-events/track-recovery-post-fires

https://www.fire.tas.gov.au/userfiles/AFAC/AFAC_Review.pdf
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare
Region: Tasmania

Re: Eastern Arthurs Traverse / Huon Track Post-Fire Updates

Postby weetbix456 » Mon 04 Jul, 2022 2:36 pm

Wash out now adding a good ol’ 3km road bash for anyone keen on heading out over winter!
Attachments
026114A7-7438-4193-83BA-9E9865095DE1.jpeg
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare
Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania