Ultra Light Tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Ultra Light Tents

Postby Stamina » Fri 22 Jul, 2022 8:24 am

I've been updating some of my gear of late and I am wanting to buy a Nemo Hornet 2P tent. Like a lot of things, you just can't find them for sale for the time being. I have a MacPac duolight which is a great tent but unfortunately it's rather heavy.

What are other good options for a 1 person lightweight tent, that are available now?
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn
Region: Victoria

Re: Ultra Light Tents

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 22 Jul, 2022 12:17 pm

BA Copper Spur ul1 is a similar style tent available from major retailers.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 22 Jul, 2022 2:28 pm

Ali express has some cheap, silnylon 1p tents. Might be worth a look if you don't mind waiting a few weeks.
This one is not perfect clumsy fatsos like me (I keep knocking it over when I get out). It's 700g not far north of $100. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000196715895.html
The Lanshan 1 pro (single wall) look OK, but is around $200, it's also around that 700g weight, but I've only tried the Lanshan 2 (double wall) which is a nice tent, but large for 1p. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000196715895.html
There's probably others, but those are the ones I've had experience with.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Fri 22 Jul, 2022 4:47 pm

I’ve used a lot of tents and have too many (says the wife), but I confess my current favourite lightweight one is a cheap four season 2 person by Novapro sports in Melbourne.

It’s called Illumina and I think it’s a nature hike design. It’s about 1.5kg, but comes with an extra useful footprint which adds another 250g if you use it. It’s 2 person, or a very comfy 1 person. Very durable, good airflow and low condensation, very good in high winds, rain, moderate snow and only about $250.

Good height for sitting in and vestibule plenty for one.

Mine has taken a battering in some fowl weather high in the Alps, but never let me down.

Might be worth a look.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 23 Jul, 2022 12:39 pm

If you’re prepared to go to a tarp rather than a tent, you can DIY one for about $20 or $50 for premium material.
ChrisJHC

Postby Stamina » Sat 23 Jul, 2022 8:25 pm

Thank you for your replys. The BA copper spur is one I would consider. Another one I might consider is the Macpac microlight. They are both a little heavier than what I had considered previously. Need to read a few reviews and have a look in store.

Tarps are not something I would go for.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 23 Jul, 2022 8:53 pm

Stamina wrote:Thank you for your replys. The BA copper spur is one I would consider. Another one I might consider is the Macpac microlight. They are both a little heavier than what I had considered previously. Need to read a few reviews and have a look in store.

Tarps are not something I would go for.
Tarps aren't for everyone but I'd check out Tarptent's range

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 23 Jul, 2022 8:58 pm

You'll probably come up against a weight 'floor' for any particular style of tent. I don't think there are many double wall, free standing tents available that are lighter than the nemo and copper spur. To go significantly lighter means a different style (single skin or trekking pole supported or both) or perhaps a cottage-brand like Tarptent ordered direct from the maker rather than a regular retailer.

The copper spur has plenty of head space and pockets that are actually useful. It's a great tent to use but I can't comment on it's performance in adverse conditions.

Big Agnes has a line of very expensive, very light, dyneema tents but they weren't very well received/reviewed on release, eg.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Fly-Creek-HV-2-Carbon
CraigVIC

Postby Dexter » Sun 24 Jul, 2022 1:00 am

Absolutely love my Tarptent stratospire Li. But also really keen to grab one of those Ali tents to give them a go. I’ve only heard good things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 12:17 pm

Stamina wrote:I've been updating some of my gear of late and I am wanting to buy a Nemo Hornet 2P tent. Like a lot of things, you just can't find them for sale for the time being. I have a MacPac duolight which is a great tent but unfortunately it's rather heavy. What are other good options for a 1 person lightweight tent, that are available now?

I don't think even MacPac would categorise the Duolite as "lightweight". It is eminently portable, yes, but smaller delights are on offer from them, not necessarily their own make.

Mont Moondance 1, either full mesh inner (for summer to autumn) or full nylon inner.
Also available in 2-person version, or use the II version as a very roomy one-person gig. The '1' that I have is roomy enough for me, tiny when packed, the poles easily stowing into the side pockets of my Osprey pack.

I used a Moondance 1 (first incarnation) from 2009 to 2018 before selling it off (coming apart at the seams) to one Mr Shewry of ATTICA in Elsternwick. The present Moondance I and II versions may seem flimsy to touch (with 'out there' colours to dazzle or mortify), but they are not flimsy in actual use; I have added a footprint (as with all of my tents).I have weathered a few nasty storms since I purchased it; just close the 'rabbit ear' vent at the top and you're pretty much protected from anything coming.

The venerated (among bicycle tourists) Macpac Microlight has been through several iterations since I first tested it in ferocious conditions on Mount Twynham back in 1992 (wind, rain and snow), then at JB Plain out of Hotham in 1994 (in the snow). Major oft-repeated problem is (was) the very large area of untethered fabric on fly which can act as a sail and can also be pummelled awfully in a storm (prime note during the Twynham expedition!). The inner of the Microlight has also received a bad rap here and there for nuisance sagging of the internal walls. I have not seen the Microlight on display when I was last in Geelong (2 weeks back) so cannot comment on current design features, or (likely) improvements.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stamina » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 7:53 pm

Dexter wrote:Absolutely love my Tarptent stratospire Li. But also really keen to grab one of those Ali tents to give them a go. I’ve only heard good things.

The stratosphere Li seems to be out of stock as well.

Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Dexter » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 7:16 am

Stamina wrote:
Dexter wrote:Absolutely love my Tarptent stratospire Li. But also really keen to grab one of those Ali tents to give them a go. I’ve only heard good things.

The stratosphere Li seems to be out of stock as well.

Ahh that sucks. Might be worth a message. Seems like they will be back in our spring if you’re not in a rush. And worth keeping an eye out for Tarptent ‘Blem’ versions. No difference in strength and durability. In fact they state they are probably stronger, they just don’t look as clean with the extra tape. I don’t really think dyneema looks great anyway and not the reason I bought one. Some significant savings to be had going that direction.

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 8:51 am

Just to ad some info on those "blems".
It would seem that TT has a lot of faulty tents but what really happens is that the fabric itself arrives with imperfections from the makers . So rather than just selling them as normal, TT discounts those that do have some visible imperfections. Often patched with Dyneema tape that ,as pointed out, does add some strength but may bother some .
BTW, I have seen several comments from owners of another brand that sells Dyneema fabric tent , that they paid full price for their "blem " versions.
Neither Cubic Tech nor Dyneema gave discounts for those imperfections, take it or leave it.
(could change with the new owners, Avient Corporation) .
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 8:16 pm

Hiking Exped wrote:I’ve used a lot of tents and have too many (says the wife), but I confess my current favourite lightweight one is a cheap four season 2 person by Novapro sports in Melbourne.

It’s called Illumina and I think it’s a nature hike design. It’s about 1.5kg, but comes with an extra useful footprint which adds another 250g if you use it. It’s 2 person, or a very comfy 1 person. Very durable, good airflow and low condensation, very good in high winds, rain, moderate snow and only about $250.

Good height for sitting in and vestibule plenty for one.

Mine has taken a battering in some fowl weather high in the Alps, but never let me down.

Might be worth a look.

I also have too many tents (my wife suggested I offload some, so I offloaded a H’berg Nallo GT2, begrudgingly), but I agree with you about the Novasports Illumina.

Most of my specific tentage requirements have revolved around longer wilderness NZ fly fishing trips, where weight is v important. My Hilleberg Nallo 3GT is perfect for 2 in winter ski touring, but for the lighter trips I’ve spent lots of dish trying to get it right, and the Novasports ticked many boxes. My ZPacks duplex was OK, but a bit breezy, and a bit low, and actually flooded one night; my Hennessy Hammock was cold, and windy, and heavier than a light tent set up; my Terra Nova photon versions were weather resistant, but I wasn’t able to sit-up in them, and they were like sleeping in a coffin; the Novasports illumina was great for 1, and whilst not ultralight, was a reasonable weight.

One of the peg ties down the side pulled out, due to poor stitching, and I would have like a guy rope point in the middle of the side panels, which I will add in due course, so I’m not convinced that it is made to 4 season standard, but it’s a pretty good tent for the $. My mate had a similar Tarptent design to it, with a bit more room - maybe the floor went to the end of the tent, rather than having the small vestibule? Better design, but considerable more $.

It sort of depends what you’re actually after. Sure, you can buy an ultralight tent, but it really needs to suit your specific needs for that type of trip….sometimes an ultralight will do the job, but you may need to use a heavier tent for other trips.

That’s how I justify my collection!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Stamina » Wed 27 Jul, 2022 5:37 am

Very interesting, thank you. Last night I purchased a Nemo Hornet 2 off Amazon and I'm thinking of buying a Macpac Microlight locally as well. I have plans to do the South Coast Track in December with friends and also part of the Heyson trail next month.
Later on in November I also will apply for a permit to do the PCT next year.If I have no luck there I thought I would plan for a SOBO hike on the Appalachian trail. Just did my visa application yesterday.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment