Wechsel tents - any experience?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Wechsel tents - any experience?

Postby ConnorH » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking around for a 3P tent that will be comfortable in Aussie conditions, and strong enough to stretch to 4 seasons.

I've come across the Wechsel Halos Zero-G tent in my travels through the interwebs, and it looks like a strong alternative to the likes of the Hilleberg Red Labels such as the Allak. Some reviewers prefer the Wechsel alternatives as they offer better weighting towards summertime or fair weather use, while still giving strength for storms, or even snowfall.

https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/wechse ... een/231050

Does anyone have experience with Wechsel tents, especially the Halos, and can you comment on whether you'd go with the Wechsel tent, or spend the extra $500-700 for the Hilleberg?

Cheers.
ConnorH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Wechsel tents - any experience?

Postby andrewa » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 8:42 pm

Never heard of the brand.

I’ve had a couple of H’berg Nallo GTs. The 3 is perfect for 2 peeps, and wonderful vestibule space. My perfect 4 season tent, made more perfect by the vestibule space. The 2 is a pretty tight fit for 2 people.

H’berg now make a lighter version of the Nallo, which they consider a 3 season option. I would have bought that if it was available when I bought my Nallo’s if I was making my perfect Oz 4 season tent, I’d base it on a H’berg Nallo GT, and use lighter fabrics for the inner, maybe extending it out into the vestibule a bit.

3.5kg is pretty hefty fora tent with a smallish vestibule these days.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby ConnorH » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 9:58 pm

Thanks Andrew, I'm looking at a Nallo GT 3 for two people, but favour a dome design. The larger vestibule is pretty attractive though.
ConnorH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 10:07 pm

Probably doesn't help you much but I own a couple of Wechsel items, a zero-G tarp and a SIM mat. They're both well designed and made, and look and feel like quality products. I'm happy with what I've seen from the brand.

I did inquire about one of their Zero-G tents which was out of stock at the time. I can't remember which it was but it wasn't the Halos. The pole diameter was 8.5mm whereas Hilleberg use 9mm poles. The fly material had a tear strength of 7 kg whereas a Hilleberg red label tent has a tear strength of 12 kg. If strength is your main criteria then Hillebergs use more robust materials. Do you need that extra robustness where you are going? I've personally never felt the need to buy a Hilleberg but I don't do a lot of Alpine walking.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 27 Jul, 2022 12:21 pm

(deleted)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby ConnorH » Wed 27 Jul, 2022 1:00 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:Do you need that extra robustness where you are going? I've personally never felt the need to buy a Hilleberg but I don't do a lot of Alpine walking.

Thanks, good to know the quality perception is there. The challenge is that you don't need that robustness until you do, and the trade-off is whether you want to literally carry that insurance!
ConnorH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby EGM » Wed 27 Jul, 2022 1:44 pm

Have you considered lighter alternatives such as the WE space range, WE first arrow or the Mont range? 3.5kg seems like an awfully heavy weight for a predominately 3 season tent.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 27 Jul, 2022 1:46 pm

It's a German brand that has been around for over 20 years.
I knew it from when they sold the Pathfinder, a tent that WE sold as Dart (Dart 1 and 2).
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ConnorH » Thu 28 Jul, 2022 12:11 am

EGM wrote:Have you considered lighter alternatives such as the WE space range, WE first arrow or the Mont range? 3.5kg seems like an awfully heavy weight for a predominately 3 season tent.

Yes it is heavy. I haven't considered the ones you suggest - will take a look. Any of those that you'd recommend to cover 4 seasons for 2-3P?
ConnorH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby EGM » Thu 28 Jul, 2022 11:26 am

I don't personally own any of them (I don't need a 4 season tent) but the WE space is available in 2 and 3p and is advertised as 4 season. The first arrow is 2-3p, 4 season and reviews very well, I've been in one and it would be very comfy for 2, it's quite popular amongst forum members.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment