Sublime Point Track

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sublime Point Track

Postby Hoojar » Fri 24 Feb, 2023 9:31 am

I do not have a subscription to the Illawara Mercury, but the headline at least indicates that the Sublime Point Track may prove too costly for NPWS to reopen.

I was of the opinion that the last time it was closed (and the same threats were made), it was deemed 'essential' for the track to be open and access to the nearby campsite as part of the route for the longer Coastal Track, and hence the new(ish) ladders were installed (15 years ago?).

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... -last-time
Hoojar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Sublime Point Track

Postby johnw » Fri 24 Feb, 2023 9:58 am

Yeah, the article is behind a paywall. It would be a shame if that's true. I don't know what the existing damage is to the track.
The last time I walked it was some years ago, after the new ladders were installed. They looked to be very well engineered and robust.
A bit scary if you're not great with exposure (me), but overall not too bad. Once upon a time you could do a complete circuit via the old ladders.
They were very dodgy, eventually condemned and the track closed until the new-er ones were built.
Unfortunately that general area has some history of landslips after severe wet weather events.
We'll have to wait and see I guess. Maybe they have some idea of an alternate route for the Coastal Track?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clarence » Fri 24 Feb, 2023 6:54 pm

When the area was transferred from the Bulli Pass Scenic Reserve Trust in the late 1990s, the first thing the manager did was to close the Bulli Lookout Track. From memory, he ensured it was closed by the trust BEFORE the reserve was transferred, so it would not look like it was closed by NPWS.

Part of this is a liability issue, but there is not doubt there is a culture of "if in doubt- close it" with NPWS. It appears to continue after all these years.

There were ridiculous amounts of money spent on the track by NPWS- so it would be great loss and total waste of time if it were to be closed.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Hoojar » Sun 26 Feb, 2023 7:36 am

I grew up in Thirroul in the 1980s and 1990s. There was a very large land slip that took away a good chunk of the Bulli Lookout Track, but it was still easily navigatable and walkable right up until its closure.
Hoojar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT