6 foot track

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

6 foot track

Postby Paul+ » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 1:40 pm

can someone please tell me if there is car parking near the explorers tree and if so how do you access if driving from the west ?
Paul+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: 6 foot track

Postby Warin » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 1:59 pm

Yes there is parking near explores tree .. but there is more parking at the end of Nellies Glen Road at the start of the Six Foot Track.

Both can be access from the west by using a turning lane off the Great Western Hwy to Explorers Road - follow that around and you'll get to both parking spots.
See https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/- ... /150.29027 - map is both panable and zoomable.

If you miss that turning (I look for the road before I want to turn - in this case Foy Avenue just after Medlow Bath) then continue on to the next right tune lane .. that goes into a U turn thingy, just what you want.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 3:22 pm

Looks like there is plenty of parking: https://goo.gl/maps/FYPWkWFuopwG7HZX8
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithj » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 4:00 pm

Note that this Sat 11th March will be v. busy until well after 8AM - https://www.sixfoot.com/ race is happening.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Paul+ » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help, looks like I can park at the end of Nellies Glen Rd, much appreciated, Paul
Paul+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Paul+ » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 6:19 pm

So the next question is can I turn right from Nellies glen Rd back onto the Western Highway? I am planning on leaving a car along Cliff Dve(Devils Hole carpark) and doing a car shuffle?
Paul+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 7:19 pm

Paul+ wrote:So the next question is can I turn right from Nellies glen Rd back onto the Western Highway?

No.

You may be able to turn right from Explorers Rd .. look when you go in.

Otherwise it is back to Medlow Bath - right turn at traffic lights .. then a U turn on the smaller roads there and back to the traffic lights and left. That is a fair distance.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 7:27 pm

Paul+ wrote:So the next question is can I turn right from Nellies glen Rd back onto the Western Highway? I am planning on leaving a car along Cliff Dve(Devils Hole carpark) and doing a car shuffle?

You can't go back on to the highway from Nellie's Glen Road, you have to continue on the loop to Explorers Road. It is possible to turn right on to the highway there, but depending on how much traffic there is on the weekend you can end up waiting there for a long time.

If you are planning on going down nellies Glen and up Devils Hole, you may as well leave the cars at Devils Hole and walk along the cliff top track to the explorers tree.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Paul+ » Fri 10 Mar, 2023 1:07 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. My plan is to walk the 6 foot track from Explorers Tree to the Megalong Rd. I am just trying to shorten up a bit the town part, plan A is to leave a car at Devils hole C/P and start walk from the western end of Stuarts Rd, only saves about 1 k of legwork at the end of the day but we will be thankful for that, any other suggestions more than welcome,
Paul
Paul+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Sun 12 Mar, 2023 12:21 pm

Paul+ wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. My plan is to walk the 6 foot track from Explorers Tree to the Megalong Rd. I am just trying to shorten up a bit the town part, plan A is to leave a car at Devils hole C/P and start walk from the western end of Stuarts Rd, only saves about 1 k of legwork at the end of the day but we will be thankful for that, any other suggestions more than welcome,
Paul

I've sometimes managed to shoehorn a parking spot in either Stuarts Road, or just before the constriction in Farnells Road.
You can walk through downhill from that point in upper Farnells Rd on an informal footpad, but there is no vehicle access.
Be mindful not to obstruct residents access if parking around there. Those streets are very narrow but you can sometimes find a reasonable spot a bit further uphill.
Smaller cars will fare better but I have parked my late-ish model Forester there. I've parked there for walks to Norths and Therabulat Lookouts etc.
Anyway it might be worth a quick look at either of those options before you commit to Devils Hole parking. Only a few minutes drive between them.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithj » Tue 21 Mar, 2023 1:32 pm

As an aside.... According to https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/vi ... cal-alerts

Closed areas: Six Foot track - Bowtells Bridge closure

Bowtells swing bridge on Six Foot Track is closed to public access due to safety concerns. An upgrade is being planned with an approximate reopening date of the end of 2023. Signage is up and barriers are in place.to prevent access onto the bridge.

Crown Lands, who manages the bridge, is advising track users not to attempt to cross Coxs river. Any attempts to cross the river are at visitors’ own risk and are discouraged due to the potential for slips or falls, rainfall and risk of flash flooding. For further information see sixfoottrack.com
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 21 Mar, 2023 5:20 pm

keithj wrote:As an aside.... According to https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/vi ... cal-alerts

Bowtells swing bridge on Six Foot Track is closed to public access due to safety concerns. An upgrade is being planned with an approximate reopening date of the end of 2023. Signage is up and barriers are in place.to prevent access onto the bridge.

Crown Lands, who manages the bridge, is advising track users not to attempt to cross Coxs river. Any attempts to cross the river are at visitors’ own risk and are discouraged due to the potential for slips or falls, rainfall and risk of flash flooding. For further information see sixfoottrack.com

Numpty warnings are obligatory now because of there are too many numbties out there.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Paul+ » Thu 23 Mar, 2023 2:27 pm

Thanks guys for passing on the info re Bowenfells Bridge. I had kind of planned to walk that section around about Sep of this year but I will keep an eye out now,
I think my next walk will be out to Paralyser the easy way. Can you still drive out on the Thurat fire trail or has that now been gated. I have not been out that way in 25 years, I remember Andy McQueen cruising past us on a rogain out there along a pad that was 20 meters or so from us while we were bashing our way through the crap. Nothing like local knowledge!
Paul+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby PatriceJohnson » Thu 23 Mar, 2023 8:46 pm

Paul+ wrote:Thanks guys for passing on the info re Bowenfells Bridge. I had kind of planned to walk that section around about Sep of this year but I will keep an eye out now,
I think my next walk will be out to Paralyser the easy way. Can you still drive out on the Thurat fire trail or has that now been gated. I have not been out that way in 25 years, I remember Andy McQueen cruising past us on a rogain out there along a pad that was 20 meters or so from us while we were bashing our way through the crap. Nothing like local knowledge!

Heading out to Paralyser the easy way sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm not entirely sure if you can still drive out on the Thurat fire trail, though. It's been quite some time since you were last out that way, and things can change a lot in 25 years.
However, I'd recommend checking with locals or doing a bit of research online to confirm whether the fire trail is still accessible by car.
And just my curiosity, do you have any other trails or destinations in mind for your future walks?
PatriceJohnson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby icemancometh » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 10:37 pm

keithj wrote:As an aside.... According to https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/vi ... cal-alerts

Anyone been out there recently? Was thinking of taking friends out but then I came across this bit of information also.
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Six Foot Track