Hammock Hiking around Sydney

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hammock Hiking around Sydney

Postby Smarteee » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent convert to Hiking (From off-road Motorcycling), and I've been out on my first few tentative hikes/Bushwalks over the last 12 months. Mostly, in the Royal National Park South of Sydney. My horizons are expanding though (Along with my lightweight equipment list) and I'm considering other areas such as the Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury, Great North Walk, etc...

However, I've a couple of questions related to the availability of suitable camp spots/trees to hang a hiking hammock from. I recently bought a Hennessy Expedition and after using it once (Test), I'm smitten. I don't ever want to sleep on the ground again!

Does anyone out there have any experience of Hammock Hiking around the Sydney area (Or indeed further away in NSW) that they would recommend I give a try? Does the Great North Walk lend itself to using a Hammock or would you suggest I take my Tent?

Many thanks
Smarteee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Hammock Hiking around Sydney

Postby HitchHiking » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 1:33 pm

I have used a hammock all around the Blue Mtns, down in Morton NP,Tassie, Im leaving in about an hour for Wollomi with it. IVe had it in NZ and Canada as well.

You wont have any shortage of campsite with it round sydney thats for sure. Just check above for the widowmakers!

I havent done the GNW but other on here have and I know a couple who have used their hammocks.

Youll have a great time!
Last edited by HitchHiking on Mon 04 Apr, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby wildwalks » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi Smarteee

I am a fairly new convert to the hammock world, and loving it.
Other than the couple of Caravan parks there are no shortage of places to set up a hammock on the GNW. Around the edge of the campsites are some great spots, I have not camped at all of them, but I recon you will have no probs finding the right trees.
As Evan said watch out for the gums. There was a fellow a few weeks ago hit by a falling branch whilst walking the GNW beside Mooney Mooney Creek ( I believe he is (relatively) OK, the quote was something like 'his pack saved him'. As Always no matter if in a tent or Hammock, look up, before the declare a spot home for the night.
I never new I was so uncomfortable at night until I slept in my hammock.
(Hi Evan, I have been eyeing off a couple of your tarps lately, I think mine only has one or two more trips left if it, the tape repairs are starting to weight more than the tarp itself :)

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby wildwalks » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 1:55 pm

Me again
Oh yeah other spots around Sydney are good to. Be mindful on coastal areas like the edge of Royal NP, there are no trees at the campsite on the coast track.
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Smarteee » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks Guys',

Matt, I know what you mean about the Coastal track on the RNP, I've hiked it before (Using a small tarp tent) and North Era is no place for a Hammock. That's the reason I asked, to be honest. I was concerned that other tracks around Sydney would be the same and not at all useful for 'Hanging'. Good to know others are out there using Hammocks. It's the way forward in my humble opinion!

Smarteee
Smarteee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wildwalks » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 7:12 pm

Yeah I am a fan of the Hammock. I still use my fly a bit, it is a lighter option to share it when walking with someone else, and more roomy if expecting to spent time in it. And there are places where the Hammock will just not do the job. But like before, I had a few tents/flys for different environments, it will be the same with the Hammock vs tent. They are not as social as a tent, and if they do become very popular it will mean a change in the way campsites are set up. They are very low impact when camping in an area with no established campsite, and you can sleep very comfortably on the side of a steep hill.
I am using a UQ (under quilt) that makes for an extra pleasant night, seems better than a mat.
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby HitchHiking » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 6:56 pm

Yeah well said Matt. The hammock is a great addition to any outdoors person's gear box. Once in the desert or alpine its disadvantage is clear :lol: but the ability to camp prett much anywhere else in great comfort is awesome.

wildwalks wrote:Hi Smarteee
(Hi Evan, I have been eyeing off a couple of your tarps lately, I think mine only has one or two more trips left if it, the tape repairs are starting to weight more than the tarp itself :)

Yeah I had a fav tarp that had this awesome tape with flags on it that I used time after time to fix it. Kinda like seeing how many patches one can get on a bike tire!
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby Baka Dasai » Mon 24 Aug, 2020 12:58 pm

Resurrecting an old thread...

Smarteee wrote:...I know what you mean about the Coastal track on the RNP, I've hiked it before (Using a small tarp tent) and North Era is no place for a Hammock....

Google Satellite-View shows a lot of trees within a short walk of the campground. I'm considering going there this week, with my hammock. I have one extra-strong trekking pole that can serve as one "tree", so all I need is one real tree.

Here's a photo of North Era showing some likely-looking trees in the background:

I've been hammock-camping all round the Sydney area for a few years. Finding two trees the right distance apart isn't that hard, but finding them with no bushy undergrowth between them can be. The best spots are usually where's there's a big exposed rock between the two trees that keeps it clear.
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mikeRsyd » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 11:11 am

Depending your direction there is a little spot north end of garlie beach with a few trees and also there are other spots in the trees at the north end little marlie beach both have been used at campsites before, both have natural water sources. I've done this track many times and never camped at era (don't tell anyone)

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baka Dasai » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 12:43 pm

Thanks, the spot at Garie looks good. I also see on Google there's a surf-life saving club and toilet block at Garie - can I assume I'll find a tap there to fill up on water?
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mikeRsyd » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 1:00 pm

There are taps and toilets open 24 hours, water needs to be treated or filtered. There is also a shop that sells pies and hot dogs. snacks and instant coffee. North garlie has a stream that goes to the ocean, the stream is fresh water. From bundeena to garlie there is plenty of water along the way creeks and taps but era to otford is pretty dry.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT